New Boot and Blade Recommendations | Golden Skate

New Boot and Blade Recommendations

iceskatermaybe

Spectator
Hi everyone! I am new to this community and wanted to see if anyone can provide advice on my situation. I used to skate inconsistently growing up, passing Junior MIF and working on my Axel / some doubles when I stopped. I did not enjoy spinning and was only semi-comfortable with camel/sit and back scratch. It's been over 7 years since I've skated with a coach.

I'm now in my 20's (5'5"/120lbs) and considering getting back into skating as an adult. I have been on the ice a couple of times in my old skates but am in the market for new boots and blades as my skates are pinchy and feeling pretty worn out. I was last fitted in 2012 (when my feet were not done growing) with custom SP Teri Zero Gravity boots and MK Professional blades, maybe overbooted for my level at the time?

I'm not sure really what I'm looking for, mostly just want to get back on the ice for fun, brush up on foundational skating skills / edgework and (maybe, eventually) land an axel? Hoping not to spend a fortune as I'm still unsure whether I'll stick to it with work commitments but any recommendations for boots and blades at my current level would be much appreciated. I haven't seen much on here about SP Teris and am thinking of leaning toward Jacksons or Risports, but I am no expert so hoping to learn from your knowledge! I'm also planning to go to a fitter when I get back in town after the holidays for sizing and considerations specific to my feet (in the NY area so any pointers on who to see would also be greatly welcome). Thank you so much to all who reply!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone! I am new to this community and wanted to see if anyone can provide advice on my situation. I used to skate inconsistently growing up, passing Junior MIF and working on my Axel / some doubles when I stopped. I did not enjoy spinning and was only semi-comfortable with camel/sit and back scratch. It's been over 7 years since I've skated with a coach.

I'm now in my 20's (5'5"/120lbs) and considering getting back into skating as an adult. I have been on the ice a couple of times in my old skates but am in the market for new boots and blades as my skates are pinchy and feeling pretty worn out. I was last fitted in 2012 (when my feet were not done growing) with custom SP Teri Zero Gravity boots and MK Professional blades, maybe overbooted for my level at the time?

I'm not sure really what I'm looking for, mostly just want to get back on the ice for fun, brush up on foundational skating skills / edgework and (maybe, eventually) land an axel? Hoping not to spend a fortune as I'm still unsure whether I'll stick to it with work commitments but any recommendations for boots and blades at my current level would be much appreciated. I haven't seen much on here about SP Teris and am thinking of leaning toward Jacksons or Risports, but I am no expert so hoping to learn from your knowledge! I'm also planning to go to a fitter when I get back in town after the holidays for sizing and considerations specific to my feet (in the NY area so any pointers on who to see would also be greatly welcome). Thank you so much to all who reply!
What is your foot like? Do you have high, low, medium arches, is your toebox wider than heel or all one size or opposite? I could make suggestions but I need to know a bit of info. Also, I can DM you some good fitters in the NY area. :)

iceskatermaybe

Spectator
What is your foot like? Do you have high, low, medium arches, is your toebox wider than heel or all one size or opposite? I could make suggestions but I need to know a bit of info. Also, I can DM you some good fitters in the NY area. :)

Thank you @Ic3Rabbit! I have medium arches but my feet overpronate when i walk/run. My toebox is wider than my heel and my toes spread quite a bit when weight bearing, though I would consider my feet to be generally of normal width. I believe my current skates are B width in the ball and AA in the heel. Let me know if any other info would be helpful to provide!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you @Ic3Rabbit! I have medium arches but my feet overpronate when i walk/run. My toebox is wider than my heel and my toes spread quite a bit when weight bearing, though I would consider my feet to be generally of normal width. I believe my current skates are B width in the ball and AA in the heel. Let me know if any other info would be helpful to provide!
Jackson and Risport would work for you right off the bat, Graf may. I wouldn't look at Edea or Riedell if your toes spread like that and your toebox is wider. You're going to need a split width boot ordered for sure.

iceskatermaybe

Spectator
Jackson and Risport would work for you right off the bat, Graf may. I wouldn't look at Edea or Riedell if your toes spread like that and your toebox is wider. You're going to need a split width boot ordered for sure.
Very helpful and good to know before going into a fitting. Any thoughts on what the right boot / blade might be for my level? Would the Jackson Debut or Risport Electra be around the right mark? Too soft or too stiff? JW Coronation Ace seems to be a popular blade choice but I am honestly not too sure what to look for in picking the right blade. Thanks for all of your help thus far!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Very helpful and good to know before going into a fitting. Any thoughts on what the right boot / blade might be for my level? Would the Jackson Debut or Risport Electra be around the right mark? Too soft or too stiff? JW Coronation Ace seems to be a popular blade choice but I am honestly not too sure what to look for in picking the right blade. Thanks for all of your help thus far!
If you used to do axel/doubles and passed your MITF Jr test (yes I know it's been awhile but you'll be surprised how quickly it should come back), and you're an adult Debut and Electra are way too soft for you. Risport RF3Pro, Jackson Elite 5300 at the most or Premier 2800 at the least. Coronation Ace or MK Pro for blades should be fine right now.

Last edited:

Sibelius

On the Ice

Just so you are aware Sp-Teri still exists. The original owner George Spiteri sold the business to a long time skater, Bill Fauver, and they moved the manufacturing to Nashville, Tennessee. George still consults for them and visits the factory frequently. They've had some troubles, including the factory being destroyed by a tornado, but they seem to be getting back to normal now.

George, now as A&G Skate Shop, is our fitter for my skater's Jacksons, including her most recent pair of full custom "Premieres". It took some work by George and Aaron to get them right, but they fit like gloves now. She is a bit smaller than you, and the Debut didn't hold for doubles. She was in a stock Premiere for 2 years (over the pandemic) before we chose to get a custom leather model in the same stiffness, with their "strongest" tongue, so the overall boot is a bit stiffer. Her foot is similar to yours, wider toe box and narrow heel.

Hope that helps a bit. Best of luck.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just so you are aware Sp-Teri still exists. The original owner George Spiteri sold the business to a long time skater, Bill Fauver, and they moved the manufacturing to Nashville, Tennessee. George still consults for them and visits the factory frequently. They've had some troubles, including the factory being destroyed by a tornado, but they seem to be getting back to normal now.

George, now as A&G Skate Shop, is our fitter for my skater's Jacksons, including her most recent pair of full custom "Premieres". It took some work by George and Aaron to get them right, but they fit like gloves now. She is a bit smaller than you, and the Debut didn't hold for doubles. She was in a stock Premiere for 2 years (over the pandemic) before we chose to get a custom leather model in the same stiffness, with their "strongest" tongue, so the overall boot is a bit stiffer. Her foot is similar to yours, wider toe box and narrow heel.

Hope that helps a bit. Best of luck.
I was hoping you were going to come along and give that info. ;) I knew you worked on your skaters equipment needs with him, so I left it to you. :)