New boots and blade for 7yo figure skater. | Golden Skate

New boots and blade for 7yo figure skater.

Elsieskates

Spectator
My 7 yo has been skating in Edea overture since she began skating at 5yo. She is currently in her second pair and had her old Wilson majestic blade moved onto the new boot as it still fits in size. Since buying the boot back in spring he has taken a huge leap in skating skills and is now doing single jumps up to flip and lutz and her spins are getting faster by the day. She trains 5-6 hours on ice pr week.
I was wondering what to go for next time she needs new skates. Or should I level up her blade already? I think she will stay in this skate size for at least 6 more months ( she does not grow fast).
She is a very petite girl and weighs only about 20 kilos/44 lbs.
Her feet are narrow but Edeas seem to fit her well.
We are located in Denmark and have acess to Edea, Jackson ( we tried the jackson artiste and they were NOT good for her foot) and Risport and maybe some limited Riedell models.
We have acess to most of the popular blades. I have been wanting to get her the coronation ace blade but I am uncertain if this is too advanced for her level.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My 7 yo has been skating in Edea overture since she began skating at 5yo. She is currently in her second pair and had her old Wilson majestic blade moved onto the new boot as it still fits in size. Since buying the boot back in spring he has taken a huge leap in skating skills and is now doing single jumps up to flip and lutz and her spins are getting faster by the day. She trains 5-6 hours on ice pr week.
I was wondering what to go for next time she needs new skates. Or should I level up her blade already? I think she will stay in this skate size for at least 6 more months ( she does not grow fast).
She is a very petite girl and weighs only about 20 kilos/44 lbs.
Her feet are narrow but Edeas seem to fit her well.
We are located in Denmark and have acess to Edea, Jackson ( we tried the jackson artiste and they were NOT good for her foot) and Risport and maybe some limited Riedell models.
We have acess to most of the popular blades. I have been wanting to get her the coronation ace blade but I am uncertain if this is too advanced for her level.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Hi and welcome! At her age/size she should be good in another Overture until she starts jumping axel/doubles. I would move her to Coronation Ace blade though in her new pair. If the edeas work for her and she has been fit professionally then I'd stick with it for now.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Agree on Overture, she's so light that she wouldn't have enough weight to properly bend into the higher level boots.

Elsieskates

Spectator
Thanks guys, very nice to hear your take on it. This is ( thankfully) also what her in all ways amazing coach said when I asked. She will probably not reach 30kg any time soon so we will stay in the overtures. As long as they serve their purpose who care if its "only" a 3 star. Ill buy her the CA blade next time

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Thanks guys, very nice to hear your take on it. This is ( thankfully) also what her in all ways amazing coach said when I asked. She will probably not reach 30kg any time soon so we will stay in the overtures. As long as they serve their purpose who care if its "only" a 3 star. Ill buy her the CA blade next time
Bear in mind Edea use the star rating to rate the strength, rather than the quality of the boot. It's not like hotel where 5 star is instantly a much better hotel, but is more a "rough" guide to help the skater find the correct boot strength for them. (at least up to Concerto, I haven't seen star ratings on ice fly/pianos)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm agreeing with the advice above; Overtures are perfect for now.

I really wish that Edea would reverse their crystalling policy and put more bling on the lower level boots!

Sibelius

On the Ice
I second that. Ill have to diy bling them!
I would avoid doing that. DIY blinging dresses and costumes is one thing, but on boots where blades can easily slice them off and leave them on the ice...I'd think twice. You don't want to risk a costume violation in competition, and you don't want to leave a hazard for her or someone else out there.

Oh, and I'll second (or third or...) the CA or MK Pro. Those blades are perfect for her current skills and will take her very far, the only downside is cost for growing feet, you'll likely only get at most one year out of them before she outgrows them. That's the price (well, one of them) we pay for our young skaters. Mine is now 14 and we've been told her feet are finished growing, which we really appreciate since she's now on Gold Seals, just bought her second pair after 2 years.

ETA: What we have done is get the blades fitted toe to heel, no gap, that allows the possibility of extending the life a little bit if her foot doesn't grow too much. We could have gotten more time out of the old Gold Seals since we got the same size, but after 2 years the rocker was really worn down. Hope with this pair we can extend the time between sharpenings!

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I second that. Ill have to diy bling them!
I know it's tempting but please don't bling them. The only crystals that are safe on boots are the ones that are actually set in during the manufacturing process, ie they have a layer of leather over them with the cut out smaller than the crystal. Crystals that are glued on can come off or be sliced off and cause a nasty accident.

Elsieskates

Spectator
Bear in mind Edea use the star rating to rate the strength, rather than the quality of the boot. It's not like hotel where 5 star is instantly a much better hotel, but is more a "rough" guide to help the skater find the correct boot strength for them. (at least up to Concerto, I haven't seen star ratings on ice fly/pianos)
True! And again, q

Elsieskates

Spectator
Good point! We were actually just talking about doing multi colored skate covers. Safe and protects the skate as well

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There’s some very sparkly and colourful metallic shoe laces, not sure they come waxed or in the right length though
If one is wearing leather figure skating boots, DO NOT wear waxed laces, it will rub off and ruin your boots. I don't think I've honestly ever had a need to wear waxed laces.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There’s some very sparkly and colourful metallic shoe laces, not sure they come waxed or in the right length though
Several years ago, I tried out a variety of laces, including one set with colorful metallic fibers. Length would not be an issue, especially for children's boots: the laces come in different lengths up to 120". Width would be an issue, however: they are too wide for most figure skating boots. Even if you do find a metallic lace with the right length and width, though, I would exercise caution. The laces I looked at had an abrasive texture (which is great to prevent slipping). OK for boots with reinforced grommets in the lace eyelets. But most intermediate to advanced figure skate boots have bare eyelets. An abrasive lace would cut into the eyelets and damage them, upon repeated lacing and unlacing cycles. So if you do consider metallic laces, check how abrasive they are.

Arwen17

Final Flight
I know it's tempting but please don't bling them. The only crystals that are safe on boots are the ones that are actually set in during the manufacturing process, ie they have a layer of leather over them with the cut out smaller than the crystal. Crystals that are glued on can come off or be sliced off and cause a nasty accident.

I see skaters all over Instagram doing it. I also see plenty of high level skaters doing it too. I remember a close up on Kostornaia’s skates that clearly showed she had stoned them. (Clip was from Plushenko competition days)

I’ve never done it because I’m lazy and because yeah, I don’t like the idea of it falling off onto the ice. But there seems to be plenty of high level people that do it and so far no accidents for some reason. Extra strong glue? Famous skater privilege?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I’ve never done it because I’m lazy and because yeah, I don’t like the idea of it falling off onto the ice. But there seems to be plenty of high level people that do it and so far no accidents for some reason. Extra strong glue? Famous skater privilege?
New boots every month or two privilege is something to consider on boots side.

In terms of crystals falling off, Generally speaking it'd be very unlucky to cause an incident at competition. But I've got off the ice many times with blades mysteriously blunt or chipped. I imagine that sort of thing happens when running over crystals but they don't think twice or blame anybody for it. I have picked crystals off the ice (from dresses, boots etc) before.

Edit: not sure how costume violations tend to work, so won't comment on that side.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I see skaters all over Instagram doing it. I also see plenty of high level skaters doing it too. I remember a close up on Kostornaia’s skates that clearly showed she had stoned them. (Clip was from Plushenko competition days)

I see people on Instagram taking pictures of themselves with bears. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'm old enough to remember the days when we used sequins and had to sew them on pretty much individually to minimise the risk of accidents happening when a string of them came loose. Crystals on boots worry me. I'm not that happy about crystals glued on costumes either but I think they're less problematical.