New boots recommendations/advice | Golden Skate

New boots recommendations/advice

lara_gold

Spectator
Hello Everyone,

Just discovered this forum, my first time posting. I've been doing my fair share of research and though it was finally time to ask for help from your community. I've been looking for a new boot and blade. Excuse my long post I hope you stick to the end.

I'm an adult 25 year old skater, 5'3'', 125-130lbs(depending on the time of year hehe) currently working on all my single jumps and axel prep as well as all spins and footwork. I have all my singles so far besides lutz. I skate 2-4 hours a week.

My first pair of professional skates was Risport Antares 245 (standart C width) with stock blade JSW sterling in which I'm still skating. I was fitted at the skating boutique in Toronto. In my coaches opinion I was underbooted as an adult skater and broke down the boots in a year. They have huge creases on the sides and when I sharpened my skates with Jake he couldn't believe I was still skating/jumping in the boots.

I've heard that the skating boutique is a great place to get fitted but I didn't get that vibe from them and I've been there a few times now. And it's virtually the one good shop in my area so ultimately I'll be purchasing my next pair there.

Risport Antares were my first and only pair of skates so I was curious to try other brands. I found a pair of used Edea Overtures with edea rotation blade in my size 245. The heel height wasn't an adjustment for me at all. I wasn't too keen on the ankle space but I've read that's something you get used to. But I have some heel slippage where both of my heels slightly lift off when I point my boot and skate around. Also I've suffered some arch pain, I think I have high arches and I absolutely hated the rotation blade.

One thing I'm wondering about is if I will need a split width/heel boots. I definitely have a wider ball, tapering into my heel and high arches from dancing when I was younger. I'm including my measurements here.

Right length - 23.3cm ball - 9.8cm (tiny bunion on this foot)
Left length - 23.3cm ball - 9.5cm
Heels are 6-6.5cm. I hope I measured correctly, I traced my foot and measured the widest part in my heel area.
My foot is Greek shaped where second toe is longer than the big toe, third toe same length.

If I were to stay with Risport I'm looking at the RF3 or Royal Pro with the Coronation Ace Lite blade. I got to try the royal pro in the shop but silly me just tried them on and didn't lace them up or anything. They felt comfy from what I rememeber. I'm definitely coming back before the end of this year to buy something just wanted to gather some more information from you peeps.

If I were to get a pair of Edeas I'd go for Chorus and also with the Coronation Ace Lite blade. I also got to try a pair in the shop but again didn't lace up. They felt really comfy. I tried both B and C width and I can definitely say I can't do B width in Edea. However I'm really wondering if Edea is the right brand for me or if I should stick with Risport. Now that my Risport boot is really broken in I've noticed some heel slippage as well or maybe that's because I've been switching between both boots.

I'm just really confused at this point and all this switching around just made me not progress in my skating at all. And instead I'm focusing on how my feet fell trying to pin point and resolve each problem as it comes up.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello Everyone,

Just discovered this forum, my first time posting. I've been doing my fair share of research and though it was finally time to ask for help from your community. I've been looking for a new boot and blade. Excuse my long post I hope you stick to the end.

I'm an adult 25 year old skater, 125-130lbs(depending on the time of year hehe) currently working on all my single jumps and axel prep as well as all spins and footwork. I have all my singles so far besides lutz. I skate 2-4 hours a week.

My first pair of proffesional skates was Risport Antares 245 (standart C width) with stock blade JSW sterling in which I'm still skating. I was fitted at the skating boutique in Toronto. In my coaches opinion I was underbooted as an adult skater and broke down the boots in a year. They have huge creases on the sides and when I sharpened my skates with Jake he couldn't believe I was still skating/jumping in the boots.

I've heard that the skating boutique is a great place to get fitted but I didn't get that vibe from them and I've been there a few times now. And it's virtually the one good shop in my area so ultimately I'll be purchasing my next pair there.

Risport Antares were my first and only pair of skates so I was curious to try other brands. I found a pair of used Edea Overtures with edea rotation blade in my size 245. The heel height wasn't an adjustment for me at all. I wasn't too keen on the ankle space but I've read that's something you get used to. But I have some heel slippage where both of my heels slightly lift off when I point my boot and skate around. Also I've suffered some arch pain, I think I have high arches and I absolutely hated the rotation blade.

One thing I'm wondering about is if I will need a split width/heel boots. I definitely have a wider ball, tapering into my heel and high arches from dancing when I was younger. I'm including my measurements here.

Right length - 23.3cm ball - 9.8cm (tiny bunion on this foot)
Left length - 23.3cm ball - 9.5cm
Heels are 6-6.5cm. I hope I measured correctly, I traced my foot and measured the widest part in my heel area.

If I were to stay with Risport I'm looking at the RF3 or Royal Pro with the Coronation Ace Lite blade. I got to try the royal pro in the shop but silly me just tried them on and didn't lace them up or anything. They felt comfy from what I rememeber. I'm definitely coming back before the end of this year to buy something just wanted to gather some more information from you peeps.

If I were to get a pair of Edeas I'd go for Chorus and also with the Coronation Ace Lite blade. I also got to try a pair in the shop but again didn't lace up. They felt really comfy. I tried both B and C width and I can definitely say I can't do B width in Edea. However I'm really wondering if Edea is the right brand for me or if I should stick with Risport. Now that my Risport boot is really broken in I've noticed some heel slippage as well or maybe that's because I've been switching between both boots.

I'm just really confused at this point and all this switching around just made me not progress in my skating at all. And instead I'm focusing on how my feet fell trying to pinpoit and resolve each problem as it comes up.
Risport RF3, split width (you need a narrower heel than toebox for sure), also, the Coro Ace Lite is not necessary for you at this stage, you should be just fine with the standard Coro Ace.

As far as your old boots you were terribly underbooted (way too soft for you). And I would stay with Risport if I were you.

Good luck! :)

lara_gold

Spectator
Risport RF3, split width (you need a narrower heel than toebox for sure), also, the Coro Ace Lite is not necessary for you at this stage, you should be just fine with the standard Coro Ace.

As far as your old boots you were terribly underbooted (way too soft for you). And I would stay with Risport if I were you.

Good luck! :)
Is there a big difference between "Lite" and standard? A lot of people my level or just slightly higher have "lite" so I just assumed that's a good blade to go with.
So do you think I'd need A/C width split. I can't find any information on how to determine your heel width based on any measurement. Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is there a big difference between "Lite" and standard? A lot of people my level or just slightly higher have "lite" so I just assumed that's a good blade to go with.
So do you think I'd need A/C width split. I can't find any information on how to determine your heel width based on any measurement. Thanks!
A proper pro fitter will do those measurements and foot tracings for you to determine the widths of the split widths. Also yes, there is a difference between the lite and standard. And it's not required to have a lite at that level or ever, people are being upsold on a blade they don't need or just want them to have them AKA a vanity blade IMHO.

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The main difference between the lite and the regular that I've noticed is the lite are thinner therefore more edgy. But no one who would use a coronation ace has edges good enough to warrant that unless they're also an ice dancer.