New Johnny Weir Journal Entry December 2005 | Golden Skate

New Johnny Weir Journal Entry December 2005

euterpe

Medalist
After all the talk on this board about how JWe is a 'headcase' and his season 'disastrous', no one has commented on his bronze medal at CoR while he was still skating on a not-quite-healed angle, and the fact that he is the third alternate for the GPF with 9 points.

Sounds to me as if Johnny is on track for Nationals and will be peaking at just the right time for Torino.

euterpe

Medalist
The journal entry was 12/2, which means he will have had the skates for 5 weeks by Nationals and for at least 10 weeks by Torino.

soogar

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
After all the talk on this board about how JWe is a 'headcase' and his season 'disastrous', no one has commented on his bronze medal at CoR while he was still skating on a not-quite-healed angle, and the fact that he is the third alternate for the GPF with 9 points.

Sounds to me as if Johnny is on track for Nationals and will be peaking at just the right time for Torino.

Yeah , he'll peak to a 5th place finish at Torino.

ilovepaydays

Rinkside
So what?

[Yeah , he'll peak to a 5th place finish at Torino./QUOTE]

I think right now being in the final jump of six is the most we can expect from ANY of the US men.

Right now, do you see Evan placing any higher? I think he needs to work it a LOT to be in the top five.

And what about Timmy? I wish he was doing better, but if he finishes in the top 10 it would be a miracle.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
You could flip a coin, Goebel or Weiss--Weiss might not have the jumps as much as Goebel (though he's not so hot either in that respect) but at least Michael looks like he cares. I swear, Timmy looks like he really doesn't want to be out there every time I see him skate these days.

Weir still does nothing for me. His arm-flailing is worse than Plushenko's. (Anyone who calls either 'balletic' deserves to be haunted by the ghost of George Balanchine.) His jumps were at least more solid at CoR, but his footwork is unexciting, and he doesn't have the quad, or even a combination to rvial the quad. At the very least Plushenko and Joubert, barring accident, will place ahead of him at the Olympics.

And I snickered all the way through his little caviar-eating puff piece with Peter Carruthers, too. I've never seen anyone eat caviar on a blini with a knife and fork before. Prim much? (Is he even really a Slav, or just a Russo-phile? "Weir" is AFAIK a German name.) Shoulda checked with Paul Wylie and Kimmie Meissner, who went out for caviar in Moscow with..Oksana Baiul, iirc?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
julietvalcouer said:
And I snickered all the way through his little caviar-eating puff piece with Peter Carruthers, too. I've never seen anyone eat caviar on a blini with a knife and fork before. Prim much? (Is he even really a Slav, or just a Russo-phile? "Weir" is AFAIK a German name.) Shoulda checked with Paul Wylie and Kimmie Meissner, who went out for caviar in Moscow with..Oksana Baiul, iirc?

So just because his last name is Weir, does that mean he can't appreciate cultures other than German? And by the way, you know - he could be Russian on his mother's side; or his paternal grandmother could be a Slav (I am just making a point here, I do not think that is the case).

Personally, I have never seen such a small sized blinz, but the ones that my mom and granny make are large enough that we do indeed eat blini, caviar and sour cream with a nice and fork. What's wrong with that??? Beats using your fingers and licking them afterwards. I wouldn't classify caviar into the finger food category.

I actually enjoyed that little fluff piece. I didn't find anything to snicker about.

Go Johnny!

Yana

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
No, Johnny is NOT Slav. However, he has always been fascinated with Russian culture, and started learning Russian as he was training with Tarasova.

While I don't remember the last time I actually ate black caviar, I do often serve red caviar (i.e. salmon roe, or Japanese ikura) with blini. Normally, blini are too greasy to eat with your hands, and you would use a knife and a fork. Though at my wedding the caterer made blini that were not at all greasy, that everyone ate with their hands.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Go to Ritz for their Sunday brunch and have all black caviar you want. The desert station has crepes and you are all set! If you like black caviar, that's a great value. Otherwise, do brunch at a DoubleTree :)

Yana