New Sarah Article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Sarah Article

soogar

Record Breaker
There's no doubt that Sarah's OGM was a big factor in her admissions. But let's not forget that her sister went to Harvard undergrad, Columbia law, both of her parents and her brother attend/ed Cornell undergrad and her father graduated Cornell law so she probably would have gotten into an Ivy League school w/out the OGM.

Lots of kids who attend Ivies have parents who have attended those schools as well. I'm sure it helped W. (Bush) that his father and grandfather attended Yale.

Freshman year is a party year. Especially when you are on a big campus and a majority of the kids live on campus. I speak from experience that it's really hard to focus on your classes when there are so many new things happening around you.

2loop2002

Rinkside
shine said:
Other than the fourth year, shouldn't it be the hardest year to get through because of the drastic transition from high schhool in terms of studying habits, work load and being totally on your own, and everything else?

For me personally, the first year of college was far easier than the last year of high school. During the senior year of high school there are so many applications to fill out. The information and essays you write has a huge impact on your future in the form of acceptance to college and recieving scholarship money. The freshman year of college is not very stressful compared to that.

Also, instead of being in class all day from 8 to 3:30 like in high school, in college I had breaks between classes to work on homework. Living on campus meant that I wasn't spending half an hour a day driving to school and most of the activities I was involved in were on campus instead of halfway across town. I felt like I had a lot more free hours in the day, since I was capable of effectively managing my time.

Plus, in Sarah's case, the many hours she spent training or commuting to training each day are now "extra" hours that she did not have in high school for studying, socializing, etc.

I have to say that I am very impressed by what a well rounded person Sarah is.

2loop

IDLERACER

Medalist
The photo gallery is interesting. She looks quite a bit different when she wears glasses. If someone had shown me picture #7 and asked me to identify this person, I don't know if I would've been able to do it. She would make a great female Clark Kent.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
soogar said:
I'm sure it helped W. (Bush) that his father and grandfather attended Yale.

:))

Freshman year is a party year. Especially when you are on a big campus and a majority of the kids live on campus. I speak from experience that it's really hard to focus on your classes when there are so many new things happening around you.
:

I will speak from my experience and I will say that for me the freshman year was a study year, just like the rest of college and grad school. I did not party untill I defended my thesis.

I think everyone is different when it comes to college. Not everybody goes crazy with partying and not everyone is a nerd.

I will have to agree with 2loop2002 that for me senior year of HS was a lot more difficult than the freshman year.

As far as the pre-med - you can major in philosophy or Latin and still get into a med program, as long as you have bio, chem, physics, calc, organic, biochem, cell bio, ect, ect, ect and of course, the MCAT's!!! It is not a major. But I would strongly recommend to get all required classes out of the way as soon as possible b/c you will need to know the material for the MCAT's and you want these classes already on your transcript when you apply to med schools.

I know this b/c I used to tutor a lot of pre-meds in chemistry and my best friend is in the 2nd year of residency.

I am sure Sara is aware of the med school requirements, and then she may want to take some time off between college and med school. On the other hand, students change majors often, so for all you know she may want to become a lawer!

Yana

shine

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:

Not that Sarah will or should do that, but as someone else said, her AP courses in high school plus AP tests will probably allow her to qualify for the basic requirements and as someone else said, many schools offer post bac programs for pre-med requirements.

So are we sure that she did all the AP courses during highschool?

I don't get this "take it easy in the freshmen year" suggested by a few of the posters. The situation I'm more familiar with is one in which you need to have a certain amount of credits (most of the time, full course load) and a GPA high enough to get into a desired major. And if common sense serves me correct, pre-med requirements are not necessarily easy to fulfill.
I'm in a special first year science program at a public Canadian university, and so far I've been pretty drained because of the large work load, a much higher level of teaching and difference in study habits that I've had to adjust to, and still is. Personally, I didn't find the grade 12 material that demanding academically, it was more because of the pressure of having to maintain a high enough average, keeping an eye on scholarships and doing entrance essays that made the year more stressful. For me, if grade 12 was hard, then first year at university would just be insane. Assuming Hughes is also in the science faculty taking full course load (and at Yale), it's hard for me to imagine that the work load there could be any lighter than mine. I also did AP courses and exams in highschool, and the one thing I've learned taking first year math again (a requirement of my program) is that the AP material you learn in highschool- and even the ones on the AP exams- is hardly enough to satisfy the demand and depth of the first year course, especially in a relatively prestigious school.

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
To Rgirl

To those of us who had to work full time during the summer to earn tuition, taking a science course with labs really doesn't fit into a schedule. (They're never offered in the evenings and my summer office jobs were never offered at night)

I'm not trying to downplay Sarah's potential as a doctor, it's just that it takes someone with her earnings already to not go through the system and come out hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

Trust me on this one, I am a doctor...

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Another doctor checking in, bronxgirl, and I have to agree with a lot you have said. I have no problem with Sarah taking it a bit easy her first year, but she also has to avoid cramming all the sciences together, which is a bear. I was originally in a "six year" program that would have sent me to med school after the end of my second year of college and I would have gotten both degrees upon graduation from med school. The best thing that ever happened to me was not getting accepted to the med school involved--I didn't have the maturity to handle it then, and completing a traditional four years at college was best for me. I had to cram all the basic sciences in those first two years and that was not fun at all, along with all the math.

It seems that med schools vacillate back and forth every few years from wanting college graduates with a science background to wanting those more diversified in liberal arts. I have no idea what they're looking for now considering this is my 25th anniversary year from graduating college!!! I wish Sarah luck, but if she sets her mind to medicine, she's going to have to buckle down a bit more next year and really get serious about working to get that med school admission.

jesslily

Final Flight
Good to know Sarah enjoys her study at college. But I wish she keep practicing skating. In the future it's easier for her to come back. It shouldn't too hard to keep college class schedule and a light and steady skating schedule.

Getting in to a spiffy college:

One Oly got to Hugh Hefner's College of Anatomy

One Oly got to the College of Special Chemicals

One Oly got to the College of BitPart Acting

Sara Hughes won an OGM and went to Yale!!

hmmm

Joe

Don't have a link, but I remember reading about Sarah's coursework in high school and IIRC she had AP courses in the major sciences and English.

I forget who commented on this, but you can work and take summer accelerated courses. But the subject is Sarah and her first year at Yale. I don't know her, but everything I've seen about her and her family indicates that she is very intelligent, driven, and has an excellent family support system whose members have experience with Ivy League schools.

Everyone's different experiences seem to support what STL_Blues_fan said, that the college experience is different for everyone.:)
Rgirl