new skates search | Golden Skate

new skates search

anakinskywalker

Spectator
Hello! I'm new to golden skate and I'm currently searching for new boots/blades (and I apologize if someone has already asked about this before). Right now, I skate in Jackson freestyles (which say that they are support level 45) with aspire XP blades and I'm really confused about what I should buy next; my coach says it's time for me to get my first pair of skates where the boots and blades come separately now that I've landed my first double jumps (double salchow and double toe loop). Many of my coach's boot recommendations (customs) are quite pricey compared to brands like Edea (which many of my friends have recommended), but I don't live near any Edea dealers. Are Edea boots worth checking out? Do they have space for me to insert arch support for my feet? If I get Edeas, which boots should I check out?

As for blades, my coach recommended the MK phantom/gold star blades (which I think are way too advanced for me because those say that they're designed for triple/quad jumps). She also recommended john wilson, but I'm not sure which of their blades would fit my level right now. Should I look at coronation ace blades? I'm open to looking at other brands/blade recommendations too (if you have any), MK and john wilson were just the first ones she recommended to me.

Also, double loop/flip/off-ice jump tips would be much appreciated; my single loop takeoff is very questionable, and I can't do anything above an axel jump consistently off ice, so I have no idea how I'm going to land more jumps lol.

Thank you!! :)

treblemakerem

On the Ice
If you post your approx size/weight and describe your foot shape some experienced people here may be able to narrow down some options of what boots may work for your foot. (Edeas may or may not work for you) In the end your will need to go to a fitter in person to make sure. You should go with what fits best and now try to save money with the boots.
For the blades you should be fine in MK Pro or Coronation Ace.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I'm new to golden skate and I'm currently searching for new boots/blades (and I apologize if someone has already asked about this before). Right now, I skate in Jackson freestyles (which say that they are support level 45) with aspire XP blades and I'm really confused about what I should buy next; my coach says it's time for me to get my first pair of skates where the boots and blades come separately now that I've landed my first double jumps (double salchow and double toe loop). Many of my coach's boot recommendations (customs) are quite pricey compared to brands like Edea (which many of my friends have recommended), but I don't live near any Edea dealers. Are Edea boots worth checking out? Do they have space for me to insert arch support for my feet? If I get Edeas, which boots should I check out?

As for blades, my coach recommended the MK phantom/gold star blades (which I think are way too advanced for me because those say that they're designed for triple/quad jumps). She also recommended john wilson, but I'm not sure which of their blades would fit my level right now. Should I look at coronation ace blades? I'm open to looking at other brands/blade recommendations too (if you have any), MK and john wilson were just the first ones she recommended to me.

Also, double loop/flip/off-ice jump tips would be much appreciated; my single loop takeoff is very questionable, and I can't do anything above an axel jump consistently off ice, so I have no idea how I'm going to land more jumps lol.

Thank you!! :)
hi and welcome! If you fit a jackson well, an edea is a no. Depending on your actual foot shape and width of your toebox and heel (many times are different widths) you might work with a Risport, Graf, etc.

If you're doing doubles, you can get coronation ace/mk pro but honestly I would upgrade to either MK Gold Star/Phantom or JW Gold Seal/P99 depending on your needs as a skater personally. Personally, if you are on an Aspire XP blade right now it's got an 8ft radius so you'd be better off with JW blades whether that be Gold Seal or P99. Just a note: Gold Seal has a higher stanchion than many blades, but it has the crosscut picks you are used to, P99 has a lower stanchion but straight cut picks with an aggressive larger bottom pick.

If you are able to give me more info such as general location and foot info, I may be able to help you know what boots to look at and give you the name of a good fitter in your area or nearby.

:)

anakinskywalker

Spectator
Hello, thank you for responding!

I'm unsure of how to describe my foot shape besides saying that they're pretty arched (that's the first thing the fitter noticed when I got my jacksons), and my arches ache whenever I skate. My toes have a roman foot shape (I think), and my toebox is wider than my heel. Some issues I've had with my skates in the past are getting random sharp pains in my ankles (which ended up disappearing after a 2-month break from the ice), and I always punch out the sides of my boots near the ankle/metatarsal bones (I think that's what they're called) on the inner side of my feet/boots to prevent blistering and the boot from being too tight in the wrong places (they're usually tight around my toebox and ankle bone). For my Jackson freestyles, I had a very long adjustment period where I kept having to get the boots punched out and I constantly had blisters on the sides of my feet. I'm don't think that Jacksons fit my feet very well.

As for my size, I'm around 5'4 and 54ish kg (does that affect the level of support/boot that I need?) I also live close to the bay area, but I'm willing to drive around to a good fitter if I need to.

For blades, how long does John Wilson typically last? If their blades last a while (and I can keep getting them mounted on new skates), then I'd probably invest in a better pair (I think I'll stick with my current rocker size if possible). My coach also said that big toepicks would be good (though I don't know how big they need to be for my level?) But if I'll need to replace my boots in about a year and the blades don't last very long, then I'll probably get a pair of coronation ace blades first and upgrade them when I replace my boots.

Thanks once again for your help, treblemakerem and Ic3rabbit :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, thank you for responding!

I'm unsure of how to describe my foot shape besides saying that they're pretty arched (that's the first thing the fitter noticed when I got my jacksons), and my arches ache whenever I skate. My toes have a roman foot shape (I think), and my toebox is wider than my heel. Some issues I've had with my skates in the past are getting random sharp pains in my ankles (which ended up disappearing after a 2-month break from the ice), and I always punch out the sides of my boots near the ankle/metatarsal bones (I think that's what they're called) on the inner side of my feet/boots to prevent blistering and the boot from being too tight in the wrong places (they're usually tight around my toebox and ankle bone). For my Jackson freestyles, I had a very long adjustment period where I kept having to get the boots punched out and I constantly had blisters on the sides of my feet. I'm don't think that Jacksons fit my feet very well.

As for my size, I'm around 5'4 and 54ish kg (does that affect the level of support/boot that I need?) I also live close to the bay area, but I'm willing to drive around to a good fitter if I need to.

For blades, how long does John Wilson typically last? If their blades last a while (and I can keep getting them mounted on new skates), then I'd probably invest in a better pair (I think I'll stick with my current rocker size if possible). My coach also said that big toepicks would be good (though I don't know how big they need to be for my level?) But if I'll need to replace my boots in about a year and the blades don't last very long, then I'll probably get a pair of coronation ace blades first and upgrade them when I replace my boots.

Thanks once again for your help, treblemakerem and Ic3rabbit :)
Try Risport Royal Pro and RF3 Pro, that brand has been a lifesaver when it came to my high arches. Sadly, the closest Risport (and other brands) dealer and good fitter to you is Bruce S in Westminster CA at USASkates in Westminster Ice. He's fit the best of the best (Names you will recognize) and is probably your best bet in CA.

As far as blades, if the coach wants you to have a larger bottom pick, then Pattern 99 is going to be the way to go.

Good luck! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Going from Aspires to Gold Seals seems like a huge change. You might want to plan on some extra time to get used to them.
It is and wouldn't be had someone told OP they needed to upgrade to a mid-range blade long ago. But it's happened before and isn't anything that can't be dealt with. I trust the OP will be ok after a few times getting used to them.