New Skating Book | Golden Skate

New Skating Book

Jhar55

Medalist
In the new issue of People Magazine there's a little sniplet about a book called All The Sundays Yet To Come. Written by a fromer skater named Kathryn Bertine (never heard of her). Suppose to be about the down side of skating.
I am sure my local book store Books - A - Zero/ Million will be sure to carry it. They suppose to have a million books but never any about skating. :laugh:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
The book section in the local paper reviewed the book - didn't sound that great. The skater being discussed was not an elite skater, but one who ended up doing shows in South America (I believe). In the course of living in that world she ended up anorexic.

Sk8harvest

Rinkside
Actually I am currently reading it. I didn't read the reviews, I just stumbled across it while doing some shopping for holiday gifts. So far I am enjoying it. The author has a terrific, dry sense of humor.

Interestingly, though not an elite skater, she did pass the USFSA senior freestyle test and the junior figures test (figures were eliminated before she tested for senior) and competed in both USFSA and ISI competitions all the way through college. She competed from 1986 through 1997 when she graduated from college.

I am only a few chapters into the book - the girl got canned from Holiday on Ice where they skated in various animal costumes in a show she calls "Dejected Baseball Mascots on Ice." In this show she was the "happy" elephant, the "angry" duck, a rooster and some other animal. She is heading to Latin America for a job with Hollywood on Ice. Anyway, so far I am enjoying it.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I bought it for me and for a friend for Christmas. I haven't started it yet, but it looks pretty good.

Jill

On the Ice
Blades on Ice magazine reviewed it in this month's issue, but I don't know if that review is on their web page. It sounded pretty dishy, and you know if you don't have something nice to say, come and sit next to me!:D

giseledepkat

Rinkside
Thanks for the heads up on this book, Jhar! I just ordered it on Amazon. It sounds right up my alley -- I love to read about the experiences of those who fought the good fight but fell short of reaching their ultimate dreams, because let's face it, that describes most of us! Also, there's less tension in reading the memoir or biography of a champion, 'cuz you already know how the story's gonna turn out!