NHK on TV: Comments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NHK on TV: Comments

nicole_l

Final Flight
But seriously, It is not nice to question someone's sexuality only if he comes out and says it himself

ITA. Since when should someone's sexual preference be the most interesting thing about them?

Personally, I loved the shopping fluff. It was really cute!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Good Lord...SO WHAT if Jonny is alittle nelly...What has that got to do anything with a male skater sexuality/stereotypes???? Why just point out Jonny..Why don't you just go down the list of male skaters through the years!?! Don't even start that can of worms!! I'm just glad he feels free enough to BE himself..If the boy has fun shoppin, let the boy shop!!! lol

euterpe

Medalist
I agree with equestrianguy. Johnny's sexual orientation is Johnny's business. Gay or straight, he is one of the world's greatest skaters. At 20, he is clearly enjoying his place in the limelight, and if he chooses to be a little outrageous, so what? It's great to see how comfortable he is just being himself.

soogar

Record Breaker
Geez, Johnny is practically wrapped in a rainbow flag. I think he wants to come out of the closet but perhaps he was discouraged by the USFS to do so. Either way, I think that it's really naive when posters say that he's being thought of as a homosexual b/c of male stereotypes :sheesh: . People think he's the way he is b/c of the way he acts and that shopping segment doesn't do anything to change that perception. Either way, I really don't think he's interested in hiding who he is.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
Do you really think there is a certain way homosexuals shop?
Joe
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Joe, you just crack me up at times. :rofl: :rofl:

Dee

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
Honestly, I don't think he's trying to hide who he is, but it's really none of our business anyway. He's not going to come right out and say "i'm gay" or "i'm straight", because it shouldn't matter. He's a skater. Plain and simple. We should care about what he's doing on the ice. What he's doing on the ice is his own personal business, and when we see him in that context, he's simply being who he is. He's not hiding his personality, but he's not broadcasting his sexual preference. That's admirable, and his own personal choice.

dfj

On the Ice
elingrace4eva said:
Honestly, I don't think he's trying to hide who he is, but it's really none of our business anyway. He's not going to come right out and say "i'm gay" or "i'm straight", because it shouldn't matter. He's a skater. Plain and simple. We should care about what he's doing on the ice. What he's doing on the ice is his own personal business, and when we see him in that context, he's simply being who he is. He's not hiding his personality, but he's not broadcasting his sexual preference. That's admirable, and his own personal choice.

Sounds exactly like my explanation for Emanuel over the last several years.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I think it's great that Johnny's a little different from the other skaters. He has some personality, some flair, which makes him fun to watch. Whether he's gay or straight, who cares? I think Johnny's all about being true to himself and expressing himself, and you have to respect that. I'm sure that attitude also helps in his skating. If he were less open about expressing himself and his emotions, he might not be as free and expressive in interpreting music on the ice, either.

The quality of Johnny's skating reminds me a lot of Sasha's. Sometimes Sasha's skating is just so gorgeous, it's almost outrageous! And Johnny's skating is the same way . . .

To get back to the thread topic, here are my impressions of NHK:

Shizuka Arakawa: Enjoyed her skate a lot, despite the mistakes. She has improved so much this year and is really just wonderful to watch. I agree with everyone else that she has developed a really strong presence on the ice and just commands your attention. Nonetheless, I'm not thrilled with her new program. I preferred the Turandot program from last year, which I think played more to her strengths (power, stroking, presence). The Romeo and Juliet music seems to call for a softer, more lyrical and delicate approach, which I don't think is really Shiza's strength. Also, the costume is horrible.

Yoshie Onda: I agree her jumps are amazing, and she has that wonderful smile. But otherwise, I feel her skating is at a junior level. Maybe even lower. Almost any top U.S. junior lady, for example, has far better spins and footwork than Onda. Just think of Kimmie Meissner. I wish I could say something more positive here, because I know a lot of people like Yoshie. One thing I can say is I did like her costume!

Miki Ando: This was a great performance. Definitely the best we've seen from Miki, as Terry Gannon said. For the first time, I felt like she was really performing to the music, not just ticking off the jumps. Her posture seemed a little better, too. I think her program and choreography are good, and her costume is very attractive, too.

Elena Sokolova: Nice to see her back and in shape, but overall I found this a disappointing performance. Some mistakes on the jumps, humdrum choreography, and what was that string hanging off her costume? It seemed like she was only about 50% prepared for this performance.

Inoue & Baldwin: Another nice skate from this pair. I'm really enjoying watching them this year. They seem much improved, especially in their presentation and unison. I wish their lifts were a little stronger though--they always look a bit wobbly and uncertain. I wonder if it would help John to do some training with a retired male pairs skater to help with his footwork and handholds in lifts.

Zagorska & Siudek: Another good performance for them, despite the mistakes on the jumps. I agree their new long program is a real plus for them. Still need to improve artistically, but they're getting better overall.

Pang & Tong: I love their long program. Beautiful music, choreography, and costumes; it's a great package and suits them very well. But they are definitely not skating consistently yet. And her thinness is terribly distracting. It makes it hard to enjoy the performance--she just looks so bizarre.

Petrova & Tikhonov: Great to see them skate well. I've been a fan of this pair for a long time and it's nice to see them get rewarded under COP for the basic quality of their skating. As others have mentioned, though, I do wish they would dump this long program. I don't mind recycling a program from one year to the next, as long as it's a good program. This one, though, is not a particularly good program in my opinion. The music is just so harsh and jarring, it doesn't enhance their skating. I think one of the things that's held this pair back is they haven't really had many good programs. Their music and choreography choices are not the best.

Denkova & Staviyski: Their new free dance is pretty wild, but I like it! It's so creative, and definitely fun to watch. I like the inventiveness and excitement of this team.

Navka & Kostomarov: As Susie Wynne pointed out, they had a pretty rocky skate, definitely not their best. I'm not sure about the new program. It's fine, but nothing outstanding. We've seen a lot of great programs to Tosca the last few years, and this interpretation didn't stand out compared to some of the others. I'm sure it will be a lot better later in the season, though. I like this team and I agree they have a gorgeous line on the ice, as Susie said. But I also feel like they're overrated at times. I felt like they should have come in third at this event, not second, at least based on the free dance.

Delobel & Schoenfelder: I really enjoyed their free dance. I have to say I think they are among the best ice dance teams in the world right now. I feel they have great line, presentation, and interpretation, just like Navka & Kostomarov. They're also inventive and have great difficulty, like the Bulgarians. To me, they combine some of the best elements of the top 2 teams. I know some people feel they don't show enough connection with each other, but I really enjoy watching them. I personally would have had them in first place.

Chengjiang Lee: Great performance for him; certainly, the jumps were all there. Obviously much to improve on artistically, but I like him. Felt he was a bit undermarked.

Frederic Dambier: I thought his program was okay, but nothing special. The jazzy music was nice, but I felt like he could have done a lot more in terms of interpreting it.

Michael Weiss: Obviously not his night. I kind of like this program, but agree with Paul that it would be better with some choreographic improvements.

Tim Goebel: Another good skate for Tim. I am so glad to see him back and skating well! I think his spins and presentation are improving, too. I'm ready to see a new program from him, though.

Johnny Weir: He was just fantastic. I really, really enjoy his skating. He is in a whole different league from the other men in terms of presentation (just as Sasha is in a different class from most of the women). I think that a clean skate, a quad, and COP, he has a legitimate shot for a medal at Worlds this year. And honestly, I could even see him winning the Olympics next year. It could be between him, Joubert, and Plushenko for the OGM, especially if he can get a quad and stay consistent.

Linny

Final Flight
Stereotypes

Equestrianguy wrote (in part):

"What has that got to do anything with a male skater sexuality/stereotypes???? Why just point out Jonny..Why don't you just go down the list of male skaters through the years!?! Don't even start that can of worms!! "

Considering the moniker there, Equestrianguy, methinks you might know a bit about male equestrian sexuality/stereotypes, too.

Linny

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I didn't watch everyone, but these were my general impressions:

Arakawa: She seemed a little tight to me, yet her edging remains impeccable, and it's still early in the season.

Onda: I don't care how big her jumps are, when she still has a nasty wrap on most of them and doesn't extend her back leg in toe jumps. She doesn't extend her back leg very much at all, which ruins her line. She looked happy and relaxed, though. I think she needs a full year with Weisinger.

Sokolova: I know that TV can be deceptive, but she looked fast, consistently so, and she skated with attack. It was great to see.

Ando: She is starting to get some momentum with this program, and it's one that I most look forward to seeing live. I don't think her spiral positions are worse than Slutskaya's or any number of Ladies, but I think she needs to lose the forward entrance into the first spiral, because she's bobbled it in three competitions in a row, and I think she's at least a year away from it. I know she's going for difficulty, but I think she should simplify it a little now and get more speed going into it.

Dambier: He has a lot of drama, but I think too many cross-overs in his program. His jump landings weren't nearly as bad as they have been in the past. I thought the program was very well performed.

Li: This is a very nice program for him, and he didn't seem to deflate totally by the end of the program. He looked relaxed to me as well; he has a great smile.

Weir: He's got such gorgeous line and edging. I can't wait to see this one in person.

Pang/Tong: The program flowed, but it didn't really capture me.

Zagorska/Siudek: I expected quite a bit more. Yes, they have great lifts, but they seemed to me to be a bit off. Although he seems much better to me this year, catching up to her a bit more. That must be Gauthier's influence.

Petrova/Tikhonov: I like the changes they've made to this program, and they seem to have paced themselves really well, particularly after the 2:30 mark. He kept up his end of the bargain, which was nice to see. I really love her, particularly the way she bends her knees and moves so smoothly.

Denkova/Staviyski: This really reminds me of last year's program, but I think the "Bach to Africa" music fits much better. They really seem to fly.

Navka/Kostomarov: Is there any dance rhythm whatsoever in this music? I thought not.

Delobel/Schoenfelder: They are so smooth, as Mike Meyers would say, "like budda." I could watch them forever.

Hockeyfan quote:

Navka/Kostomarov: Is there any dance rhythm whatsoever in this music? I thought not.

Agree, and I would go further to say that Tosca is neither skateable nor is it danceable. Puccini wrote that brooding dark style for a reason. After the Te Deum, the entire score goes from dark to darker to darkest on top of the castle Gondalfo(sp). It should be sung by a diva and great tenor with an incredible bass baritone.

As for N and K. they are such a good team and to see them with this music is pitiful. I guess it's too late for them to change.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
I don't think it is too late for them to change. Others have changed their program late in the season (T&D in 94, and I think Drobiazko-Vanagas in 2001; unfortunately neither couple won).

If dance rhythm is a requirement, I am surprised that they chose Tosca. I love this music and I believe they can perform to it, but they may get marked low because there is no dance rhythm. If they lose the FD again, they should consider changing the music or adding some kind of rhythm to it. In NHK though the problem was with the execution.

Vash