NHL reportedly pulling out from Olympics | Golden Skate

NHL reportedly pulling out from Olympics

Carolla5501

On the Ice
It would be ominous if they were pulling out for the safety of their players and they were all going to stay home in a bubble or something. The truth is they’re pulling out so that they can do games during the Olympics. They’re not pulling out and going into some kind of lockdown they’re just saying we aren’t willing to give up revenue for players to go to the Olympics so they can’t go.

If the pro hockey players were skipping the games because they weren’t going to play hockey because it wasn’t safe then I think this was reflecting upon the Olympics. But the truth is the NHL is busy trying to schedule games during the previously scheduled Olympic break.

Generally pro hockey players skip the games. They’ve actually been relatively few games that pro hockey players were released to go play it. Now some pro hockey players will have it in their contract that they can go play for their countries and that used to be very common with eastern bloc countries, it was part of the way you could get permission to play in the United States

This has absolutely nothing to do with anyone’s safety at the Olympics or anything else. It has to do with the NHL making money. (See 2018)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It would be ominous if they were pulling out for the safety of their players and they were all going to stay home in a bubble or something. The truth is they’re pulling out so that they can do games during the Olympics. They’re not pulling out and going into some kind of lockdown they’re just saying we aren’t willing to give up revenue for players to go to the Olympics so they can’t go.

If the pro hockey players were skipping the games because they weren’t going to play hockey because it wasn’t safe then I think this was reflecting upon the Olympics. But the truth is the NHL is busy trying to schedule games during the previously scheduled Olympic break.

This has absolutely nothing to do with anyone’s safety at the Olympics or anything else. It has to do with the NHL making money
very true but it also means that a lot of people will not care as much about hockey at the games if the NHL players are not there... so it has an impact on the games themselves... (and their potential revenues). One of the factors is the very long quarantine imposed by the Chinese government. There are potentially other athletes who may not want to go through this... not just the pro hockey players... I am thinking about alpine skiers for instance...

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched Olympic hockey for years and years and years without NHL players, so🤷‍♀️. The NHL never liked supplying players to the Olys mid-season, COVID or no COViD.

The only way the Olympics will be canceled Is if China cancels them. If the NHL pulling out means that the Chinese team has a better chance if winning, China doesn't care.

For most athletes (like figure skaters) the Olympics are the pinnacle of the sport. They will go as long as they are being held.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
fair enough. however, the last game between the USA and Canadian women hockey teams were canceled, and the Canadian team (not made of NHL players ) pulled out of the Spengler Cup ... and the olympic long track speed skating trials in Quebec city. when things start getting canceled all across, there is room for concern.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Isn't this only happening because the NHL has a COVID outbreak? I don't think any other sports are going through mass COVID outbreaks, so the Olympics should be fine? :scratch2:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't this only happening because the NHL has a COVID outbreak? I don't think any other sports are going through mass COVID outbreaks, so the Olympics should be fine? :scratch2:
Yeah. The NHL is the only one doing this. They're resuming games on December 27. The Flames had a large outbreaks. And some others teams had outbreaks. 50 games have been postponed cause of COVID and need to be rescheduled....so I'm assuming that some of those games at least would be played during that 2-week break that would have been for the Olympic break.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Yeah. The NHL is the only one doing this. They're resuming games on December 27. The Flames had a large outbreaks. And some others teams had outbreaks. 50 games have been postponed cause of COVID and need to be rescheduled....so I'm assuming that some of those games at least would be played during that 2-week break that would have been for the Olympic break.
Possible stupid question, but is there anything inherent about hockey (or team sports in general?) that allows for COVID to spread really quickly among a bunch of vaccinated people? (is it because they're all on the ice at once?)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i listed a bunch of other events that have been canceled : women hockey game between USA and Canada, Canada withdrew from Spengley cup (hockey but not NHL players) long track speed skating olympic trials canceled in quebec city... etc...

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Possible stupid question, but is there anything inherent about hockey (or team sports in general?) that allows for COVID to spread really quickly among a bunch of vaccinated people? (is it because they're all on the ice at once?)
I mean....it is a contact sport so of course they'll get close. Also the roster is bigger than basketball. Also I'm not sure if all of them are positive with symptoms. I'm baffled myself. I know the omnicron variant is more transmissible. Also of course practice and spending time in the locker room. But I'm still kinda baffled on how much it has spread.

liv

Record Breaker
Most top players love to play for their country at the Olympics. I seem to recall them being very happy about reaching an agreement in the summer so that they could go again this year after missing it 4 years ago. However, once they saw that the Covid situation wasn't getting better I think they decided that they didn't want to have to go to China and be in quarantine there for 5 weeks (that was the number of weeks being thrown around in the press). That's just too much time to be in quarantine away from home/middle of the NHL season. I"m sure the political issues around the Games played a little bit into it too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
i listed a bunch of other events that have been canceled : women hockey game between USA and Canada, Canada withdrew from Spengley cup (hockey but not NHL players) long track speed skating olympic trials canceled in quebec city... etc...
Exactly, even if the event is not cancelled, I have to wonder if some athletes may choose not to participate.

Weathergal

Medalist
I don't think it's inherent to hockey but perhaps team sports in general, especially ones played indoors like ice hockey and basketball. In the US, pro basketball (not sure of the college situation) is really hurting. Teams normally carry 13 players, and some teams are down to as few as 7, which is cutting things close considering that 5 players play at a time. Also unlike the Olympics, these sports are allowing spectators. (21 of the 30 NBA teams are allowing fans although not at full capacity). (My husband and son are like ESPN/Eurosport/Match!TV so that's what I'm hearing from them. LOL)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
team sports = proximity = locker room ... and perhaps, lifestyle... these guys are young and wealthy and love to enjoy themselves

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Most top players love to play for their country at the Olympics. I seem to recall them being very happy about reaching an agreement in the summer so that they could go again this year after missing it 4 years ago. However, once they saw that the Covid situation wasn't getting better I think they decided that they didn't want to have to go to China and be in quarantine there for 5 weeks (that was the number of weeks being thrown around in the press). That's just too much time to be in quarantine away from home/middle of the NHL season. I"m sure the political issues around the Games played a little bit into it too.
exactly... carey price, one of the best goal tenders in the world has been recovering from injuries and personal issues... rumours were saying that he was in fact just getting ready to play the olympics and we might not see him prior to that. At least in Canada, but i suspect in other countries too, the olympics are important, even for the pros.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly, even if the event is not cancelled, I have to wonder if some athletes may choose not to participate.

I think pro athletes for whom other contests are just as important, if not more so (such as the Stanley Cup) may choose not to participate.

You would knock me over with a feather if any figure skater chooses not to participate, at least a figure skater who has not already won Olympic gold.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think pro athletes for whom other contests are just as important, if not more so (such as the Stanley Cup) may choose not to participate.

You would knock me over with a feather if any figure skater chooses not to participate, at least a figure skater who has not already won Olympic gold.

More like other contracts $$

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More like other contracts $$

I agree that is also a concern. And winning the Stanley Cup helps increase the value of those contracts💵

Whereas winning an Olympic gold (or other medal) will help with whatever marketability and contracts a figure skater may have. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree that is also a concern. And winning the Stanley Cup helps increase the value of those contracts💵

Whereas winning an Olympic gold (or other medal) will help with whatever marketability and contracts a figure skater may have. ;)
It really depends about many things...ask Sidney Crosby what scoring an overtime winning goal for the gold at the Vancouver 2010 did for his marketability.. 11 years later, Crosby still does Tim Hortons ad, among many others..

Here is an article celebrating the 10th anniversary of that moment watched by over 26 million people. I remember it like it was yesterday... glued to the tv.. and then going to the streets to celebrate...

And some words from Crosby :

Crosby: As a kid growing up, you dream of scoring goals like that. So for it to happen in Canada and the way it unfolded, I think, definitely … happiness comes to mind.

Regardless of where it was, scoring a big goal at the Olympics like that is pretty neat, but given the fact that it was in Canada? You're not going to get too many opportunities or be fortunate enough to be in an Olympics when it happens to be in Canada.

For a professional hockey player who is Canadian, there will always be a great desire to compete at the Olympics.