NHL reportedly pulling out from Olympics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

NHL reportedly pulling out from Olympics

Mawwerg

Final Flight
IIHF madness. They are now clearly the frontrunners for the worst tournament of the year. And I doubt in a couple of remaining days somebody can challenge them.:)

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The WJC was just canceled. Guess they didn’t want that inevitable Austria vs Slovakia final to end with Austria winning by forfeit.

Good news is that next year’s tournament will be in Russia, where they don’t cancel anything. Haha

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The WJC was just canceled. Guess they didn’t want that inevitable Austria vs Slovakia final to end with Austria winning by forfeit.

Good news is that next year’s tournament will be in Russia, where they don’t cancel anything. Haha
Well... the way I read the news is that it's not Canada or Alberta here canceling the event but the IIHF.. So my feeling is that wherever it would have happened, with already 3 teams in quarantine... and 3 forfeited matches, it would have been canceled... Too bad for Austria if they were actually going to get to the finals and winning by forfeit as you say : it would have put a balm on their 11-2 defeat against Canada yesterday... :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Considering China's strict covid protocols (they just shut down an entire 13 million people city), I am worried the games will not happen... that's why I find the cancellation of all these tournaments and trials to be relevant.. maybe i am just seeing things negatively... but how can anyone hold games safely at this point? 3 weeks quarantine fine... but many people will be tested positive upon arrival... and then what?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Drifting just a little from hockey... we know two things about the spreading Omicron. It is far less dangerous than other variants, and it is much more contagious.

It's that second part that worries me. Mikaela Shiffrin (highly ranked American skier) is quarantining with the virus, and I think some others are out on the ski circuit as well. Olympic trials, not to mention Olympic participation, could be at stake for many athletes.

I'm worried that the Olympics could turn into a "whoever can manage to test negative" kind of event.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Seems like they will try to rerun tournament in summer. Probably it's not a bad idea however they should prepare better.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well... the way I read the news is that it's not Canada or Alberta here canceling the event but the IIHF.. So my feeling is that wherever it would have happened, with already 3 teams in quarantine... and 3 forfeited matches, it would have been canceled... Too bad for Austria if they were actually going to get to the finals and winning by forfeit as you say : it would have put a balm on their 11-2 defeat against Canada yesterday... :)
The way it was going, forfeit would have beaten Austria to win the tournament.

Hmm, wonder what the capital of Forfeit is.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Drifting just a little from hockey... we know two things about the spreading Omicron. It is far less dangerous than other variants, and it is much more contagious.

It's that second part that worries me. Mikaela Shiffrin (highly ranked American skier) is quarantining with the virus, and I think some others are out on the ski circuit as well. Olympic trials, not to mention Olympic participation, could be at stake for many athletes.

I'm worried that the Olympics could turn into a "whoever can manage to test negative" kind of event.
exactly my concern too

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
exactly my concern too
There's a reason we're worried.

Just about all of Canada's bobsled team is on protocol now, and will miss the weekend races. Rumor is that the US Team is struggling, too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
sigh... better now than later... but Canada had high hopes in bobsled...just like Shiffrin is supposed to rack up the medals in ski for the USA... :(

Last edited:

Azikin

Medalist

I'm currently more worried about Euros because Omicron is spreading across Europe currently, it will probably get much worse in January in central Europe..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
article here

pretty much, he says (Dominic Gauthier, former olympian and coach and involved in B210 which promotes amateur sport and supports athletes to get to the podium) that the games should be postponed...

OR even mentions that an athlete should test positive NOW... because if they test positive in a few weeks, they will not be admitted to the games... crazy thought that some athletes would want to get this virus early enough to make sure they can attend the games... as it seems easier to achieve, even when fully vaccinated, than getting to the games without being contaminated.