No Nats for Lysacek this season | Golden Skate

No Nats for Lysacek this season

sorcerer

Final Flight
Evan Lysacek has decided not to enter January's U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

More

Last edited by a moderator:
This is sad. All this time and they still couldn't work it out. :disapp:

Evan is not adding lustre to his reputation with these decisions. Why couldn't he just say he couldn't train enough to skate at his fighting level?

The dispute was about money, and about "more than just appearance fees?" Maybe he wanted a percentage of the gate. :cool:

Anyway, they showed him in the audience on Dancing with the Stars last night.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Sources have indicated the differences between Lysacek and the federation involved matters other than an appearance fee.

How much he thinks himself worth? He is ruining his own reputations - I mean if reputation matters!

US has lost the third spot because USFSA refused to pitch in and consider the criteria other than National Championship result alone. Many US fans support what USFSA has done. So what's to blame?

Abbott is still the best man in US for now. We'll see how he'll do at Nationals this year.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lysacek is hurting himself and his chances at the next Olympics, unless he's not really into it.

Abbott and other US Men need to step up and show they can bring it. It's not for lack of talents that US is not competing well internationally.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I can't believe he knows what he's doing. He's not only ruining his own reputations but tarnishing the prestige of the OMG.
And he has gained nothing.

Oh well I thank him just the same for his moving performance at LA worlds. That was something genuine.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I think his not skating and the issue of money and other disagreements is a clear indicator that he (1) thinks much more highly of himself than most people do and (2) his motive for a comeback had almost nothing to do with some kind of personal desire to push himself rather, a personal desire to pad his bank account.

In the end, I'm not surprised at all by his actions. Fame and money change people - assuming he wasn't like this to begin with.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Lysacek is hurting himself and his chances at the next Olympics, unless he's not really into it.

I don't think he truly care about it. He sees comeback as a money making method. He found out it was not like what he thought originally, he changed his mind on coming back.

havefun

Rinkside
Or else he is not trained and didn't want to risk being beat.....using the contract as an excuse. Hard to win these days without a steady quad and/ or complicated transitions. Anti has been upped since Jan 2010 and base values on jumps have changed.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Or else he is not trained and didn't want to risk being beat.....using the contract as an excuse. Hard to win these days without a steady quad and/ or complicated transitions. Anti has been upped since Jan 2010 and base values on jumps have changed.

If it were a lie just because he was not trained well, that was a pretty stupid way to lie. He could say he's injured or something rather than say due to contract issues.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think his not skating and the issue of money and other disagreements is a clear indicator that he (1) thinks much more highly of himself than most people do and (2) his motive for a comeback had almost nothing to do with some kind of personal desire to push himself rather, a personal desire to pad his bank account.
I agree. Shen and Zhao wanted their OGM, so they did what they had to do in order to be ready and compete. Plushy wanted to come back, and even though he had differences with the Russian Fed, he made it work. If Evan wanted to be out there competing, nothing short of a serious injury would have stopped him.

While I have plenty of sympathy for Evan's fans, who must have been greatly disappointed by the way this comeback (if it can be called that) has unfolded, I have little sympathy for Evan himself. He or his agents seem to have greatly overestimated his ability to draw audiences and generate income, and the way this has been handled is doing him no good. Also - I think once the picture of Alissa Czisny replaced that of Evan on IN, it was clear where this was headed, and I bet the USFSA is more excited about having a ladies' contender again than about Evan's possible return.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I don't think he truly care about it. He sees comeback as a money making method. He found out it was not like what he thought originally, he changed his mind on coming back.

I agree. He thought the USFSA and ISU would be head over heels with joy to have him back and throwing big bucks his way to keep him. As it turns out he couldnt have possibly been more mistaken. Everyone has moved on and had enough of him. He will make much more money as a professional than he ever will again as an amateur. He has come to his senses and abandoned his comeback which will never going to go well in any sense, competitively or otherwise. After this season you wont hear anymore comeback talk for Evan. It was delusional of him to believe after a year of Chan setting record point totals, Czisnys rise to prominence, Davis & White giving the U.S their first World dance title, all the debate over his Olympic Gold and the merits of giving such a prestigious title to a skater both quadless and lacking in style, and that the USFSA had preferred Abbott over him by 2009 anyway, that anyone was going to bend over backwards to support and even imburse his return. At most people were not going to stand in his way, that is it. If I were a skater of his relatively limited (for champion standards) skill set and had somehow won Worlds, the GP final, and the Olympics in the same year, I would be taking my medals and running, and cashing in as much and quickly as I could; considering myself the luckiest guy alive. I wouldnt even think for a moment of coming back.

His window of opportunity even as a professional to be a star and rake in the income is only until about 2014 probably anyway, especialy if the U.S has a big story coming out of Sochi be it a gold for Davis & White, a medal for one of their ladies or men. He has wasted almost a year of that (and maybe more since he is off the SOI cast for this coming season) for nothing it turns out. What a shame for him.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'm just wondering what was the reason for him not being listed on SOI? Hope it was not because of money.;)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Skaters who do a full competitive season generally dont do Stars on Ice. Stars on Ice begins right around the time of Worlds.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Is it too late for him to go on SOI? I thought if he decided not to compete, he could go to SOI instead.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Who knows. I dont even know when you need to be confirmed for a year, contract situations, etc...If I recall correctly though skaters like Boitano and Gordeeva & Grinkov did not do Stars on Ice in 1994 due to the Olympic season even though their seasons ends in February (none went to Worlds). Evan bailed on the season so has lots of times so I dont know what his situation is. Maybe SOI is upset at him for dragging his feet in the mood on his supposed comeback as well.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Comeback is surely a noble challenge to overcome oneself, however the result may be. I respect Plush and Cohen for that matter.
Pretense of a comeback to draw attention is the complete opposite of being noble.

Evan has announced his comeback toward Sochi.
I truly hope he proves that it's the former, not the latter.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Good grief, who on earth is in charge of Evan's PR? There are so many more elegant ways to handle a situation like this......