Not about Yu-na | Golden Skate

Not about Yu-na

I feel sympathy for Mr. Oh. He s-o-o-o doesn't want to say anything bad about Yu-na.

Then again, if Yu-na doesn't like what he wrote she can always buy the newspaper and fire him. :cool:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I have not been following YuNa's career path lately and I had no idea she was student teaching or whether she is qualified or not.
If she is truly not qualified I can understand Mr. Oh's point.

brightphoton

Medalist
The writer is being melodramatic, but he's right. Yuna's new teaching gig is a publicity stunt to keep her name in the media.

On the other hand, she's pretty and rich and famous, and no one really takes her seriously as a teacher, so why not let her fans keep their fantasy? Such a killjoy.

Krislite

Medalist
The writer is being melodramatic, but he's right. Yuna's new teaching gig is a publicity stunt to keep her name in the media.

On the other hand, she's pretty and rich and famous, and no one really takes her seriously as a teacher, so why not let her fans keep their fantasy? Such a killjoy.

Indeed, because Yuna has been sorely lacking publicity recently and was declining in fame...so her agency pulls off this desperate stunt to keep her name in the media. Clearly she's not qualified to talk about figure skating (the subject of her "teaching"). How dare she hold up a skate and explain its parts!? Who does she think she is?

ETA: check out her scandalous lecture about jumps and skates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fehy4rRG8GA

How presumptuous! You can see why it's causing such a scandal. To think she could talk about jumps and figure skates...

Last edited:

sunny0760

On the Ice
Actually, I am proud of Yuna and feel for her. So many misunderstandings and controversies. I do not consider myself as a delusional fan and if there is an evidence to believe otherwise, I will change my opinions of her.

1. Mr. Oh is not happy about her appearance in beer commercial.
: Well, he has every right to speak and I have no problem. Moreover, if he is not for excessive commercials, I think there are some(many?) Koreans who agree with that.
I am neutral. My observation is that this year, she is even more successful in some commercials. People buy the products and at least, she shows some kind of variety and is not boring to look at. Not yet anyway. However, it is possible that people will get tired.

2. Is she qualified as a practicing teacher? He speculates she may not.

As the professor pointed out, it is all but certain that Yu-na’s busy schedule of overseas travels, commercial endorsements and other engagements have prevented her from meeting the requirements to participate in teacher training practices. Otherwise, I would make a retraction.
It is common sense that teaching practice should be completed by anybody who is to be a licensed teacher. If one doesn’t meet a given criteria, he or she may not be allowed to participate.

He is just speculating and this is the part that I have problem with. Has he has some research about that? When Mr. Hwang, professor of Yonsei University insisted Yuna’s practicing teacher was just a show, he suggested that one, she was not sincere as a practicing teacher and as she certainly did not attend classes diligently, she is not qualified to do a practicing teacher.

Mr. Oh does not say how sincerely she attends the Jinseon high school everyday for 4 weeks now that the fact was evidenced by several proofs and how well appreciated she is from the students and teachers at the school.

Yuna got into Korea University in March, 2009 by special admission given to athletes whose accomplishments are remarkable. For a couple of years, she could barely attend school. Anyway, until summer last year. She was almost in Canada (until the split with Orser) and in the US.
On how she moved up to sophomore to junior, a few things have been revealed. She had to write some papers as assignments - I remember she said she wrote them by herself - and when she could not meet the requirements, she flunked in some subjects. And some cyber classes.

Declaring her skip in 2011-2012 season, she told that she wanted to attend school regularly. Since the fall 2011, she has been a sincere, hard working student despite a busy schedule and practices - there are evidences. She even passed the graduation exams recently on four subjects - athletic education theory, sports physiology, human science and natural science.

3. He questions about unfair privileges in universities and other areas which some elite athletes are possibly getting in Korea.
OK, this can be a good point and also lead constructive debates.

In conclusion, I don’t think that Yuna got special treatment from the university – it’s the same that other athletes who entered the school with special admission usually get - and she has always been doing her best with what she has in whatever. If any of you have other evidences, please convince me. I will not respond to haterz. They are not worth my time.

It's always easy to speculate, especially if someone has to take a different approach to reach a goal. If YuNa flunked a few courses, then her professors seem to be treating her fairly and not just passing her along.

Here in the U.S. there has been worry about advantageous treatment of athletes, but the problem has been basketball and football players who win games for the particular university. So there's a direct benefit for the university itself to have the athletes attend that institution. A victorious team results in extra donations from alumni, increasing its financial worth. Often a university has admitted mediocre or poor students on an athletic scholarship and looked the other way while those young men have skipped classes and not completed papers.

It was worth scrutinizing that process especially because young ballplayers often graduated from university barely literate. If they were injured and lost their sports career, they were penniless and unemployable. Nowadays there are rules in place to make sure that student athletes get an education, with remedial help if needed.

I doubt that YuNa's situation is anything like this. For one thing, it sounds as if she's taken exams and is a hard worker. Also, the amount of scrutiny she gets is way more than that given to any individual college athlete in the U.S. She's got a spotlight on her all the time!

The fact that YuNa takes time away from classes for her various jobs doesn't need to affect her learning. Michelle Kwan took ten years to finish college because she started while she was still competing. Once she concentrated on classes full-time, she finished pretty quickly. She took a graduate degree, too. I'm sure YuNa is doing the best she can with her studies, though her many commitments probably make it hard to attend classes consistently. I'm sure she'll do fine, though it will take more time than it would take you or me because we don't have to talk to the United Nations or appear in commercials. So what? As Michelle says, she can always learn on the ten-year plan. Good for her for sticking to it. She certainly doesn't need an education to get her a better job! She'll always be employable one way or another. She just wants to better herself inside. That's pretty commendable.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
ETA: check out her scandalous lecture about jumps and skates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fehy4rRG8GA

That looks like a really good lesson. The flash from cameras and lightbulbs really emphases the agenda of the class. I'm also admiring the school's teacher to student to camera man to reporter ratio.

Haha, nah, it was an okay intro to skating jumps. Hopefully in the future her mother doesn't invite the entire media circus to her lessons.

jatale

On the Ice
The real issue underlying all Yuna commentary these days is whether or not she plans to return to competition. If she retires then she will largely disappear from active discussion on skating sites including this one. All signs at this point certainly point to an imminent retirement announcement, it would be nice to have this issue resolved one way or the other soon.

That looks like a really good lesson. The flash from cameras and lightbulbs really emphases the agenda of the class. I'm also admiring the school's teacher to student to camera man to reporter ratio.

Haha, nah, it was an okay intro to skating jumps. Hopefully in the future her mother doesn't invite the entire media circus to her lessons.

Yuna and students in the clip asked the reporters to leave in the middle of the session and they did. Would that say much about the emphasis on this "stunt"?

The real issue underlying all Yuna commentary these days is whether or not she plans to return to competition. If she retires then she will largely disappear from active discussion on skating sites including this one. All signs at this point certainly point to an imminent retirement announcement, it would be nice to have this issue resolved one way or the other soon.

With sunny's explanation which is very clear and covers the questions raised in this "issue," I think it is already resolved in Korea. According to an article posted in YNKF, the host of the radio program, which this article is based on, has apologized to Yuna to have aired contents out of unconfirmed facts.

Last edited:

It would indeed be nice to know whether or not YuNa will return to competitive skating, but I doubt she'll disappear from skating sites if she retires. Look at how we all continue to talk about Michelle Kwan, Torvill and Dean, and other skating pathfiinders. YuNa is a skater for the ages, and a pathfinder in at least two respects: as the first Korean to compete successfully internationally, and as the best lady CoP skater so far. Additionally, if YuNa continues as a pro skater, she will maintain a strong presence in skating just as Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Katia Gordeeva continue to do so a decade or two after their eligible careers have ended.

It will be fun to continue to read about her.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It would indeed be nice to know whether or not YuNa will return to competitive skating, but I doubt she'll disappear from skating sites if she retires. Look at how we all continue to talk about Michelle Kwan, Torvill and Dean, and other skating pathfiinders. YuNa is a skater for the ages, and a pathfinder in at least two respects: as the first Korean to compete successfully internationally, and as the best lady CoP skater so far. Additionally, if YuNa continues as a pro skater, she will maintain a strong presence in skating just as Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Katia Gordeeva continue to do so a decade or two after their eligible careers have ended.

It will be fun to continue to read about her.

IF she stays in skating I see her having a big to do on the boards for years to come. However if she goes the way of Debi Thomas and goes into a different career path, she won't get the attention she's gotten in the past. Kwan doesn't even get the rabid mentions she did even two or three years ago... I don't think Kim will disappear altogether should she retire and move on to other things, but I don't see her holding the rapt attention that she does now (which is far lower than what she did even a year ago)...

not to be a Debbie Downer, but I can see the argument being made for both sides. I do agree, though, that like T/D - she will rank up there as being someone who really championed her sport in her country and hit the height of excellence and being one (in her case THE one) to break out on top!

brightphoton

Medalist
Yuna and students in the clip asked the reporters to leave in the middle of the session and they did. Would that say much about the emphasis on this "stunt"?

Considering the students signed the media release forms in the first place, I don't entertain the implication that they didn't want the cameras there. And why should the media be compelled to stay the entire lesson? 5 minutes would be enough footage to make a story.

Let's face it. As long as Yuna isn't skating, there isn't much to talk about.

Considering the students signed the media release forms in the first place, I don't entertain the implication that they didn't want the cameras there. And why should the media be compelled to stay the entire lesson? 5 minutes would be enough footage to make a story.

Let's face it. As long as Yuna isn't skating, there isn't much to talk about.

Apparently, Koreans don't seem to think that way. Although its impact is much less than competitive ones, show skating is also skating and she's the host of one of the biggest skating shows in the world. This is where I put my hopes on.

Apparently, Koreans don't seem to think that way. Although its impact is much less than competitive ones, show skating is also skating and she's the host of one of the biggest skating shows in the world. This is where I put my hopes on.

I'm not Korean, and I continue to be interested in YuNa as a show skater if that's the direction she wants to go in now. We should be so lucky here in North America to have such a vibrant pro circuit! When YuNa's show is on, it makes news throughout South Korea and beyond. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have that much TV time for skating over here? I'd love for any of our skaters to be as well known to the general American and Canadian public as YuNa is in Asia.

cosmos

On the Ice

YuNa's every move is covered by media. Her teaching practice had been known for months already. If they had not been invited, the media peopel would have circled the high school for several weeks. That is why team YuNa invitd the whole media on the first day to shorten the media coverage to only one day

Last edited:
YuNa's every move is covered by media. Her teaching practice had been known for months already. If they had not been invited, the media peopel would have circled the high school for several weeks. That is why team YuNa invitd the whole media on the first day to shorten the media coverage to only one day

Well, that makes much more sense. Really wise strategy.

Krislite

Medalist

Brightphoton believes Yuna's mom is orchestrating the Korean media's every move on Yuna. Right...like they would never have arrived in droves had she not "invited" them. I can't believe anyone here needs a reminder that Yuna is a huge celebrity in Korea and is hounded by the Korean media like the paparazzi went after Princess Diana.