Not about Yu-na | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Not about Yu-na

brightphoton

Medalist
Paparazzi can take pictures and video of Yuna all they like because she's a public figure. However, normal citizens like students are off-limits without each student signing a media release waiver, saying that it's okay for the cameras to film them. So who distributed those release forms - the magic camera fairies? And who led the paparazzi into the classroom - the magic school camera fairies?

Krislite

Medalist
Paparazzi can take pictures and video of Yuna all they like because she's a public figure. However, normal citizens like students are off-limits without each student signing a media release waiver, saying that it's okay for the cameras to film them. So who distributed those release forms - the magic camera fairies? And who led the paparazzi into the classroom - the magic school camera fairies?

No silly! Don't you know those students are impostors! They were paid actors hired by Yuna's mom to prop up her daughter's declining fame.

In all seriousness, the media was on school property--so the school owners/managers had the ultimate authority to allow or bar the media from being on the premise to film the event, and it is the media's responsibility--not Yuna or her agent--to get those signed release forms from the students. Yuna might be rich but she doesn't run a school. This was at the very least a cooperation between the school administration and the students, whatever Yuna's mom's involvement may be.

gourry

Final Flight
Rediculous.That professor was asked at the follow up interview what proof he had/what he knew about Yuna's internship attendance to say she only put a 'media stunt' and not really doing the internship, his response was 'I don't know'. Ha!
Besides, doing one month teaching internship is a mendatory course for her to graduate, being a physical education department student. It doesn't matter whether she later becomes a teacher or not. Why is she in physical education department? Because that is the only department in that university to accept special application for athletes. Then why did she go to that university? Because that university was the one who promised her the usage of ice rink and other conditions that she needed that time. FYI, there was other universities that gueranteed her a professor position in the future. If she'd wanted some 'special treatment', she would've chosen one of those universities.
She is doing the teaching internship to meet her graduation requirements, and if she fulfills her requirements-getting minimum credits, doing internship, taking the graduation tests,- then she is good to go. She was accepted as an athlete which allows her to get credits through online classes and reports and other substitutions for the physical attending.
She did the 20 minutes open media session so that they will not bother her, students and the school for the rest of month. Actually there was no media coverage of her internship after that session. So if you ask me, I'd say it was a wise deal. In fact, everything went on so quietly that those sort of people like this professor simply assumed she was not doing the internship. Hahaha. This professor was so determined to bash her no matter what, he didn't even bother to do the fact check. All he did was accusing her all sort of things and then later saying 'oh is it so? I didn't know. Oh well... *shrug*'.:sarcasm:
Nothing is wrong and there is really nothing scandalous or problematic. Just a fame seeking professor bashed Yuna just because she is famous and adored.

Oh by the way, about the beer commercial, almost all Korean youngsters drink a lot especially after they enter universities. That's just the culture there. It doesn't matter if Yuna does beer commercial or not. Drinking cannot be promoted any more there already. If anything, it will promote people to drink 6% beer instead of 16% Soju they quite often drink.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh, wow, frivolous lawsuit. Yu-NA's mother plans to sue everyone who criticizes her? This momager is too much. No wonder Orser kept his mouth shut and acted clueless and said he "loved" Yuna. He knows the Mom. This will backlash as S. Koreans may love Yuna but they want to speak their minds as well. The poor professor will apologize as where will he get the money/lawyer to take on ATS. I can think of a super rich major movie star who sues routinely. Trump does this too. Over reaction, imo, and I like Yuna.

cooper

Medalist
What are Yu Na and her team smoking? Suing for libel ?

Yu Na, please do not behave like a bimbo.

before you start criticizing the lawsuit, in Korea libel lawsuits is different from the West..the professor did not even bother get his facts straight before making a 'claim' in the media. :rolleye:

People are acting like Yuna's been suing someone every time she gets criticized. Really? I see the twinkle in their eyes. Enough is enough. Yuna's put up with everything so far.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The professor just mouthed off against Yuna without bothering with facts and now he claims celebrities are supposed to get used to such callous denigration. Many countries do not legally permit slandering of celebrities like in the US where the laws say public persons are fair games. That's why we don't see American celebrities suing tabloids with their outrages fabrications. But sometimes they do sue European publications and win, often for clearing their names with winnings donated to charities. Celebrities are human too. Yuna may choose to set an example to show she would not put up with such so that she wouldn't become a habitual target. This is the same preventive principle as some stores' policy to prosecute shoplifting of any value.

Oh, wow, frivolous lawsuit. Yu-NA's mother plans to sue everyone who criticizes her? This momager is too much. No wonder Orser kept his mouth shut and acted clueless and said he "loved" Yuna. He knows the Mom. This will backlash as S. Koreans may love Yuna but they want to speak their minds as well. The poor professor will apologize as where will he get the money/lawyer to take on ATS. I can think of a super rich major movie star who sues routinely. Trump does this too. Over reaction, imo, and I like Yuna.

Poor professor? I don't think you could rely on that expression if you saw the harsh reaction that was pouring on Yuna right after that professor made that snide comment. He didn't even retract the base for his argument and kept saying "So I didn't know, what are you gonna do?"

skateluvr

Record Breaker
But a lawsuit? Yuna will go through life as a fish in a bowl. She will be criticized no matter what, right or wrong. Unless it's something truly slanderous, court is not the way to go. This is hardly a big issue. I do not know Korean laws but it likely would be thrown out here. The courts are not overburdened with this type of lawsuit in Korea? Yuna and her mother should take the high road, make their statement and continue on doing good things that let Yuna win in the court of public opinion. It will be a drag to sue everyone who says something incorrect or critical. I do not like seeing Yuna hawk beer. She is elegant and I don't think it enhances her image, and she doesn't need to endorse everything. As Korea's number one celebrity she should be discriminating with her name. Really, that is more Tonya Harding than Yuna Kim. If I said this in korean press, should her mom sue me? Rediculous!

cooper

Medalist
But a lawsuit? Yuna will go through life as a fish in a bowl. She will be criticized no matter what, right or wrong. Unless it's something truly slanderous, court is not the way to go. This is hardly a big issue. I do not know Korean laws but it likely would be thrown out here. The courts are not overburdened with this type of lawsuit in Korea? Yuna and her mother should take the high road, make their statement and continue on doing good things that let Yuna win in the court of public opinion. It will be a drag to sue everyone who says something incorrect or critical. I do not like seeing Yuna hawk beer. She is elegant and I don't think it enhances her image, and she doesn't need to endorse everything. As Korea's number one celebrity she should be discriminating with her name. Really, that is more Tonya Harding than Yuna Kim. If I said this in korean press, should her mom sue me? Rediculous!

It wasn't even a criticism... :laugh:

the problem is that the professor claimed as if it was the truth, however it became apparent that his basis came from false rumors. ATS eventually just asked for an apology but then he didn't. It's like I claimed Ms. A had a sex video because i overheard it somewhere but then it was not true after all.... but the damage has been done all over the media. So, Ms. A just wanted an apology from me but I refused.

There's a big difference between an opinion via criticism which is fine, and a claimed based on false rumors via an opinion which is wrong.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna really needs to grow up. The whole world doesn't bow at her feet. Maybe all the hero worship she gets in South Korea has gone to her head.

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
Yuna really needs to grow up. The whole world doesn't bow at her feet. Maybe all the hero worship she gets in South Korea has gone to her head.

Riigght..because you were there and live in Korea. :disapp: Because she's above everyone else and yet she's still supporting and funding Korean fs. Is she behaving like a brat while drinking alcohol at night and attending parties? Oh yeah..the girl is still doing everything she can to help those cancer patients and low income families. Not to mention she's still living a very humble life. All what she did was to attend KU and did some lecture after all it's a requirement while other Korean celebrities and sport-stars are getting the free pass, And yet she was singled out by this professor. She needs to grow up? How dare you, Yuna? :rolleye:

Last edited:

cosmos

On the Ice

Do you?

People are free to speak their minds, but when they insult a person in pubic without a fact, they should be responsible. What YuNa requests is an apology, but this poor professor says no.

cosmos

On the Ice

There have been huge number of people who criticized her based on wrong information. Do you think they always say good things about her in Korea? Many people are jealous of her and others try to make use of her to get fame, publicity etc. This professor is an example. If he had not include YuNa's name, what he said would not have attracted this huge attention. But, this is the first time she filed a libel suit.

This is not a civil suit. In Korea, civil libel suit is very rare. She asked DA office to investigate this professor and prosecute him if necessary. If he loses, the sentence will be like public apology or suspended jail sentence.

It must be so difficult to be YuNa. I don't envy her, despite all her advantages and privileges. It's funny; many of us hoped she would retire from competitive skating so she wouldn't have so much pressure. Ironically, while she was training in Canada, she may have had less pressure than she's facing now, because she could go out and about with some freedom, and the news media in North America, as we know, don't pay too much attention to skating.

It must be so difficult to be YuNa. I don't envy her, despite all her advantages and privileges. It's funny; many of us hoped she would retire from competitive skating so she wouldn't have so much pressure. Ironically, while she was training in Canada, she may have had less pressure than she's facing now, because she could go out and about with some freedom, and the news media in North America, as we know, don't pay too much attention to skating.

This is why I feel so divided for Yuna. She deserves some happiness and in order for that to happen, she needs media lock-down and much less nagging Koreans around her.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There have been huge number of people who criticized her based on wrong information. Do you think they always say good things about her in Korea? Many people are jealous of her and others try to make use of her to get fame, publicity etc. This professor is an example. If he had not include YuNa's name, what he said would not have attracted this huge attention. But, this is the first time she filed a libel suit.

This is not a civil suit. In Korea, civil libel suit is very rare. She asked DA office to investigate this professor and prosecute him if necessary. If he loses, the sentence will be like public apology or suspended jail sentence.

That is scary as hell that someone can get a jail sentence for simply saying what they think. I guess there is no freedom of speech in South Korea.