NYTimes article on the U.S. Ladies | Golden Skate

NYTimes article on the U.S. Ladies

GGFan

Record Breaker
It can be found here

This seems to have been all sourced from one teleconference: mostly Ashley and Tara :slink: Let's just say the analysis is not deep.:dev2: Basically the Olympics are here and someone had to write this story :biggrin:

(The narrative about the Russians cracking the code: did they forget Evan in 2010?)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Oh my...
Thank you for the warning... :slink:
Ashley is probably not our hope for an Olympic medal. Bradie is if she can control her mental game. Maybe Mirai if she stabilizes up a bit more.
And Evgenia didn't break her foot. She had a stress fracture. Different things.

deneuved

On the Ice
The article perfectly explains why I think Ashley will be put onto the US team, no matter how she performs in Nationals. She is the only one of who the average non-fan US TV viewer might have heard of, and her ability to tell stories on the ice goes down well with viewers. Bradie WHO? Karen WHO? :) It's all about the money eventually, TV ratings and sponsors.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
That was... A very shallow read. Indeed, it appears that no one there has any familiarity with figure skating but as someone had to write an article they whipped something up. In fact, you'd think this article was about Russian skaters rather than American ones if it didn't have that title. Might as well have even mentioned Bradie or Mirai who have had some decent showings this season.

GGFan

Record Breaker
The article perfectly explains why I think Ashley will be put onto the US team, no matter how she performs in Nationals. She is the only one of who the average non-fan US TV viewer might have heard of, and her ability to tell stories on the ice goes down well with viewers. Bradie WHO? Karen WHO? :) It's all about the money eventually, TV ratings and sponsors.

Yes, Johnny taught us all that you can be a star without hardware (exaggerating here :biggrin:). Give the media good quotes and you can remain relevant.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Johnny not only qualified but won a medal at the GPF in 2009-2010. He also defeated the U.S. National Champion, both at the GPF and at the Olympics.

russianfan

Match Penalty
From what i read on this forum and overall, it seems that the main problem with figure skating in US is a lack of government support. Why would you expect decent results if you don't help skaters enough? It's an expensive sport and even awards from winning competitions are pretty low. As far as i remember winning a GPF gives you 25000$, Worlds - 40000$. Not that much huh? Especially considering how competitive this sport is and how much money you have to spend just to get to the elite level(hardly getting anything in return). At least in Russia their expenses somewhat "covered" by the fed, so more parents think about FS as an option for their kids. Does US fed pays anything to their skaters? I believe this is what they need to improve to get more good skaters... It's not like russian girls are born with some special gene which allows them to be better at this sport. Just a bigger amount of girls, therefore better chance to find some unique talent.

P.S. Why have they chosen such ugly photos of Evgenia and Alina? :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker
if they wanted talk so much about russian ladies/system, they should interview to Eteri or Tarasova, no Wagner or Tara.

GGFan

Record Breaker
From what i read on this forum and overall, it seems that the main problem with figure skating in US is a lack of government support. Why would you expect decent results if you don't help skaters enough? It's an expensive sport and even awards from winning competitions are pretty low. As far as i remember winning a GPF gives you 25000$, Worlds - 40000$. Not that much huh? Especially considering how competitive this sport is and how much money you have to spend just to get to the elite level(hardly getting anything in return). At least in Russia their expenses somewhat "covered" by the fed, so more parents think about FS as an option for their kids. Does US fed pays anything to their skaters? I believe this is what they need to improve to get more good skaters... It's not like russian girls are born with some special gene that allows them to be better at this sport. Just a bigger amount of girls, therefore better chance to find some unique talent.

I don't think the article was trying to arrive at an actual answer. The author had a couple quotes from a phone call and needed to complete a pre-Olympic story.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Johnny not only qualified but won a medal at the GPF in 2009-2010. He also defeated the U.S. National Champion, both at the GPF and at the Olympics.

I was exaggerating to make a point about the media. It's not Johnny's fault that he received World Champion level coverage in the United States. The media is always looking for a star and if they cannot get a winner they'll take someone interesting (i.e. someone who gives them quotes). He was quite brilliant at it :devil:

Amei

Record Breaker
From what i read on this forum and overall, it seems that the main problem with figure skating in US is a lack of government support. Why would you expect decent results if you don't help skaters enough? It's an expensive sport and even awards from winning competitions are pretty low. As far as i remember winning a GPF gives you 25000$, Worlds - 40000$. Not that much huh? Especially considering how competitive this sport is and how much money you have to spend just to get to the elite level(hardly getting anything in return). At least in Russia their expenses somewhat "covered" by the fed, so more parents think about FS as an option for their kids. Does US fed pays anything to their skaters? I believe this is what they need to improve to get more good skaters... It's not like russian girls are born with some special gene which allows them to be better at this sport. Just a bigger amount of girls, therefore better chance to find some unique talent.

There are enough problems in the US that need attention far more important than taking tax dollars to finance 1 kid's dream.

tars

Record Breaker
There are enough problems in the US that need attention far more important than taking tax dollars to finance 1 kid's dream.
First of all, it's not 1 kid's dream, but dozens and potentially thousands, like in much poorer Russia.
Secondly, I believe it's government duty to encourage certain physical and artistic activities of younger generation.

Otherwise, expect introducing twerking and parkour at 2024 OGs. :rolleye:

geige

On the Ice
This article should’ve been named something like “Who is Ashley Wagner in Olympic Figure Skating, According to Olympic Gold Medalist and Therefore Expert Tara Lipinski”

Amei

Record Breaker
First of all, it's not 1 kid's dream, but dozens and potentially thousands, like in much poorer Russia.
Secondly, I believe it's government duty to encourage certain physical and artistic activities of younger generation.

Otherwise, expect introducing twerking and parkour at 2024 OGs. :rolleye:

The US can't afford it and there's these things called PE - Physical education class, in my day you played all kinds of sports and there was art class and music class.

There's a reason why most people don't drive Ferrari's, because they can't afford them - there are plenty of cheaper sports for kids who can't afford a crazy expensive sport that at this point does not have a positive cost/benefit analysis.

TCAngel18

Medalist

Exactly. During this time, some people were calling Johnny a Has-Been, forgetting the fact that he did win a GPF medal during that season, and also won a World Bronze back in 2008. We can all agree his programs were lacking in transitions, but he still was within 10 points of an Olympic medal. He had the SOHL at the Olympics. I just wish he had a competent quad in his arsenal at the time, I would have placed him on that podium with the Quad toe and a bit more difficulty in his footwork.

I was surprised he didn’t try a quad Salchow, his Triple Sal was always done with complete ease. His triple Axel was to die for as well; nice height, distance and great positioning and flow on the exit.

I find it kind of Interesting that 8 years later, we have a good comparison between 2010 Johnny and 2018 Adam. Considered the old man of the field, both have a “Garish” SP and a more introspective LP. If I am correct, both men came out the year previous (give or take a bit of time) and almost used their Olympic year SP as a statement program, IMO a very camp showing of their comfort of breaking down that closet wall; an unabashed, wonderfully in your face program (obv I LOVE both programs).

Both are very up-front in their personalities, in both word and deed. However, I am not aware of any beef between Adam and any other skater, but we can go on ad nauseum about Johnny Vs. Evan.

Their programs are very well positioned, and both have great spins (Adam’s a bit better IMO), presentation and commitment to character. Both have more simple SS, even though they had the skill set to improve them, I feel. I think Adam is closing this gap, though. His footwork uses more of his whole body, with an increase in speed. I think he made more inroads with this a couple years back with his Russian themed SP, I LOVED that footwork sequence.

Sorry for taking over this Ladies thread with the above lol. It just made me think about how I saw similarities between the paths of Adam and Johnny. Taking out the sexuality angle, you can say a good chunk of the above about Ashley (except the spins).

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh my...
Thank you for the warning... :slink:
Ashley is probably not our hope for an Olympic medal. Bradie is if she can control her mental game. Maybe Mirai if she stabilizes up a bit more.
And Evgenia didn't break her foot. She had a stress fracture. Different things.

Lol @The NY Times. Tara was right ab one thing:Ashley’s technical consistency is nowhere near everybody else’s (mainly the Russians). Bradie has the consistency tho, and Mirai at this point (not counting the axel). Zhenya’s foot will be fine by Pyeongchsng, I think her mental game will be challenged the most (even though she’s really tough)

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States

Yes, I also think with America being so obsessed with football, basketball, baseball, and hockey, all our money and the government’s goes into their sports. This leads to many skaters becoming deterred from the sport not just because it doesn’t have a lot of money offering, but also because socially, nobody focuses on it. Not many people even consider skating a sport (as we have seen in the ESPN article), so many girls just don’t even think of skating anymore. It’s really sad how far the Federation and these ladies have fallen, mb one day we will rise again...