Oda or Lysacek? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oda or Lysacek?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Isn't it funny how many of us feel that Evan us the "realistic" choice for the gold after it was pretty unanimous last august or so that he was the least likely world champ to win I'm Vancouver. Evan has been consistant and clean for the most part, but has yet to even try the quad which makes we feel like he won't try it in Vancouver ( maybe he us not hitting them in practice enough this year). Sure, hid programs are good this season and sure he has been overmarked and sure some of the other guts have injuries and stuff, but I can't honestly see him winning right now. If he skates clean with a quad at Nationals... Maybe then.

psbfan01

Rinkside
2 US Men on Olympic podium?

What about Jeremy Abott and Daisuke?

I had just assumed that Olympic podium would be Lysacek-Daisuke-Abott

That begs the question:

When was the last time that 2 US men were on the Olympic podium?

For what it's worth, I do prefer Lysacek over Oda.
I would not care to see Plushy back on the podium at all.
I like Lambiel but his achilles heel is the absence of reliable 3 axel.
Johnny Weir could be a wild card.
Joubert can also be splendid.
Jeremy Abbott - I think a long shot for a medal.

It will be an interesting free skate!

gkelly

Record Breaker
When was the last time that 2 US men were on the Olympic podium?

1956. In fact, there were 3 US men on the Olympic podium that year.

Since then, there has only been one other Olympic men's podium with 2 skaters from the same country: 2 Russian men in 2002.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
1956. In fact, there were 3 US men on the Olympic podium that year.

Since then, there has only been one other Olympic men's podium with 2 skaters from the same country: 2 Russian men in 2002.

Names. please :bow:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Hayes Alan Jenkins, Ronnie Robertson, David Jenkins

Thanks for quick answer. SLC guys were of course Yagudin and Plushenko :clap:

So who is Ronnie Robertson? When I saw his name I thought of Robbie Robertson. But Robbie is a song/guitar artist, who performend in the SLC opening ceremony, IARC.

Last edited:
p

This is a good topic with good responses. I dont think compare and contrast necessarily needs numbers. There are plenty of numbers in the scorings, if that is your bag. Some of us think there is more to figure skating than the protocols.
I would say Oda/Lysacek comparison is extreme. Contrasts would be easier.

Both have iffy quads, adequate spins, and decent footwork. Oda's jump technique is among the best of all skaters whereas Lysacek's always a nailbiter.

Lysacek has become a very consistent skater and I question Oda's.He seems to cower if skaters before his turn skate especially well. Lyacek will feed on that kind of fire.

Style of both seem to be, for me anyway, cuteness v. basic.

For the Olys. it seems to me that Evgeni is THE man to win based on the protocols.

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
Nobu is not my first personal choice to win Olympics, but if he does, I'll be fine with it.

Lysacek instead is the very last one I want to win Olys. I just can't stand the guy plus his skating is downright ugly IMO. I'd rather have Plushenko on the top of the podium than L..

*Sniper*

On the Ice
Nobu is not my first personal choice to win Olympics, but if he does, I'll be fine with it.

Lysacek instead is the very last one I want to win Olys. I just can't stand the guy plus his skating is downright ugly IMO. I'd rather have Plushenko on the top of the podium than L..

I agree with the whole post!!

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree with the whole post!!

I think you are both full of baloney - but am sure Evan uses such ridiculous sentiments to fuel his training - along with remarks from Plushenko.

And Merry Christmas germanice and sniper - thanks for your warm holiday words and sentiments.

I hope your favorite skaters stay healthy and have a great experience in Vancouver.

Go Evan - World Champion of 2009.:clap:

Last edited:

FTnoona

Final Flight
I would love to see Oda win the gold. I personally think that Oda's jumps look prettier than Evan's jumps but that is my opinion. Oda's triple axel seems easy for him while Evan's triple axel seems so forced. I have a feeling (like most of the people in this thread) that if it did end with Evan and Oda, Evan would win. If nerves don't affect any of the two and both skate great, I think that Evan will win because he will get higher PCS even though I think Oda PCS should be higher than Evan's. Good luck to both of them anyways.

life684

Final Flight
I am not a Lysacek fan and i hate the pseudo style(he is trying to artistic in conventional manner, but it is clear that is defiantly not his style) that he adopts to earn points. But, guy deserves respect for doing consistent programs, which barring Plushenko none are able to perform.

I won't scream out if he wins with a clean program and other top contenders make mistake of some kind or win on the basis of superior TES. But, i will scream if he breaks another PCS record.

Don't worry folks neither will win.
I agree, but we should be looking at the podium.

If we assume all the boys skate their best:

There is no doubt in my mind that Plushenko will win his 2nd Oly gold.
All the boys will go for the quad but only Plush will deliver 2 of them. Together with the quads, he will show adequate spins and footwork enough to win.

It's the silver and gold medals that are at stake, imo. I believe Oda and Lysacek are among the top contenders. Other top contenders to be considered are Takahashi, Lambiel, Joubert and Chan.

Also we can not rule out lesser but excellent challengers: Kozuka, Weir and Verner.

If we throw in Ponsero, Preaubert and Brezina, we are talking about The Greatest Show on Earth It's there in Vancouver!

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States

All the boys will go for the quad but only Plush will deliver 2 of them. Together with the quads, he will show adequate spins and footwork enough to win.

It's the silver and gold medals that are at stake, imo. I believe Oda and Lysacek are among the top contenders. Other top contenders to be considered are Takahashi, Lambiel, Joubert and Chan.

Also we can not rule out lesser but excellent challengers: Kozuka, Weir and Verner.

If we throw in Ponsero, Preaubert and Brezina, we are talking about The Greatest Show on Earth It's there in Vancouver!

LOL ITA, Joe. By virtue of injuries, I believe Oda and Evan are strong possibilities for other medals, esp Evan, who can compete like hell. However, if any of the others get healthy enough to compete at their max, it will be a different story. But wait there's more. Plush is also battling injuries. Hmmm. now where the hell did I leave that crystal ball?

life684

Final Flight

I wish Ponsero and Preaubert where allowed to compete. but they are not part of announced french team. The french team for vancouver is Florent Amodio and Brian Joubert (french only have two olympic spots)

But even without them, we should have a speculator competition if they all skate well.