Off-Ice Training/Inline Skating for Newbies | Golden Skate

Off-Ice Training/Inline Skating for Newbies

Caspen

Spectator
Hi all,
I caught the skating bug late in this winter. I've been skating as many hours as I can at the local pond "rink," but it's melting now. I've signed up for LTS and would eventually like to get a job at our rink to get some ice time (I can't afford anywhere near as much as I'd like, to be able to improve as much as I want). However, our rink closes this summer and I won't be established enough to get a job or volunteer position before then anyway. I plan on doing lots of strength training and at-home ballet and whatnot, but I'd like to get my balance and the basics really nailed down. I don't have money for real inline figure skates, but I figured I'd try regular inlines for now (not like I'll be doing many jumps any time soon anyway). My question is, what exercises on inline skates have most improved your skating? Any resources? Any bad habits to avoid? I particularly want to avoid building bad habits due to what I suspect will be a different balance on non-figure inlines. I want to make the most of the time I have to spend off the ice. Any other balance-improvement regimens are welcome too. Unfortunately, a private coach is not an option for me at the moment, so I appreciate your advice.
Don't bother replying if you plan to say something discouraging. ;)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Howdy Caspen,

When the rinks were closed last year and the prices of pic-type figure inlines went to the moon, I bought myself a pair of Moxie Quad roller skaters. And OMG did they keep my leg muscles in shape. When I got back on the ice it was as if I never left.

The moves I did on my quads were just basic skating moves - most found in LTS Basic skills 1 & 2. You could probably do some of these on regular inline skates too, depending on how far along you got ice skating.
Besides stroking, I practiced: dips, forward swizzles, backward swizzles, forward outside edges, forward inside edges, balancing on one foot in different positions, and spirals.

If you're going to practice on pavement I strongly suggest wearing protective gear - knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards can be bought in sets. Get a helmet too. Falling was not pleasant but my gear has the marks, not me!