One footed Axel ? | Golden Skate

One footed Axel ?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I just received the dvd of Olympic performances. I love it. You don't realize how much the commentary takes away from the performance until you see it without all the yammering.

The downside, since I'm not a skater, are the moves I haven't seen or can't remember. In Janet Lynn's program, there's a jump that looks like it might be a one footed axel. Has anyone else seen it? Have I called it right?

I don't think it was a botched double. The lady was amazing, but even she couldn't botch a double axel with that much grace and flow.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
Janet Lynn did do a one foot axele. It takes off on a forward outside edge as all axels do. The landing is on the same foot as the take-off, on an inside backward edge. I have never seen it with more than 1&1/2 revolutions. It artistic roller skating it is sometimes called a College Axel.
Daniel and Little Lulu

On rollers it was a very popular jump but it took off on a forward inside edge and landed on the same foot back outside edge. Sometimes when you watch Kurt doing what no one else can (footwork) he'll throw one in.

Joe

kzarah

On the Ice
Joe,
Have we been through this before? What I described in roller skating was a college axel or an inside axel. I believe you are taking about a bochel or boechel. Anyway take a look at this, (if it works.) It's a clip of the first triple axel in roller skating. It's clean as a whisle. http://www.british-roller-skating.org.uk/
If it doesn't work, I'll redirect you.
Daniel and little Lulu

kzarah

On the Ice
Joe
When you go to look at the triple axel. Go to where it says The Roller Skating First Triple Axel!, then click on here.
Daniel and Little Lulu
PS.
I wish I could see the who program.
D & LL

N

nthuz

Inside axel: Takes off from foreward inside, lands on opposite foot back outside.

One foot axel: takes off from forward outside, lands same foot back inside.

Daniel - Yes, we did discuss this before and we did call it a boekel. I think the guys name was Willy Boekel who invented the jump. Forward Inside Edge, 1-1/2 air rotations (or more) landing on same skate as take off but on a back ouside edge.

By any definition of take off and landing on the same foot is for me a one-foot axel. I never did see Ms Lynn skate so I have not seen her jump. If it was a Forward Outside Edge, 1-1/2 air rotations landing on opposite skate on a back inside edge would be a different jump, and imo, a very very difficult one. That landing would go against flow. Tough!!

So Daniel and nthuz, you are both correct and I thank you for bearing up with me on my rush to call it a boekel which it is not.

And Daniel, I was able to read the Italian skater's triple axel on the website you gave. It would be worth seeing, if for not other reason, to see those heavy skates doing all those rotations. It's been a while since I had rollers on, have they switched to new line of skating in competitions?

Joe

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just wanted to chime in... ;)

I, too, love this jump.......especially variations in jumps (e.g. Sarah Hughes 1/2 walleys).......but when it comes to the 1footed-Axel jump nobody does it better than Jill Trenary IMHO. Which she did reguarly in combination with the 3S ~ just take a look at her Boots Are Made For Walking (sung by Nancy Sinatra btw) performance from a few years back at ICE WARS ~ phenomenal! :eek: Too bad she's basically retired. :)^( By the way, Jill has always been an idol to Oksana Baiul since she first saw her skate - per Oksana's book - and it's easy to see her influence on Oksana's skating (ala "Feeling Begins" performance).

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. I agree about Janet's lovely double axels & 1-footed axels, especially when she performed both while skating to the "Blue Danube", which I have on tape (from a pro. competition btw).