Open letter to Ottavio Cinquanta | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Open letter to Ottavio Cinquanta

mike79

On the Ice
I think it's not the same reaction as when the public saw a 6.0. We can't deny that, because 6.0 represented the perfect score. On the other hand a certain amount of points doesn't mean that.

I definitely agree with you that it is a different kind of reaction. It's almost as if you can see people number crunching in their heads.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
And quite frankly, I think what $peedy (and others of his ilk in the ISU) LOVE about this system is there's NO MORE BOOING. Coddle those judges, after all, no matter how corrupt.

Oh there was some pretty audible booing at Euros this year, after Alban Preaubert'd skated his free.

He got these scores: http://www.isufs.org/results/ec2007/ec07_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

for this performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXHdm4fGeYE

I'm not against CoP, not at all. But it's still all about "politiks".

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm probably in the minority here, but I never understood the 6.0 system. Yes 6.0 was a perfect score, but where did the deductions come in? How could a skater complete all the difficult jumps cleanly and still only score 5.6? How was it not perfect if it included all 6 triples, good spins and footwork? How can you get 5.9 if you fall? Wasn't that suposed to be a .2 or .3 deduction? The new system makes much more sense to me. The value of what the skater does on the ice is added together for the final score. There are no deductions from a fixed total, which dosn't make sense to have because not all programs have the same content or difficulty. I was always confused with the 6.0 system except on the rare occation. Under the CoP at least I can find some justification for the marks and work out where the deductions came from.
The CoP needs work and the judges need to be known, but I still will take it over the 6.0 anyday.

amber68

On the Ice
And what happens when on a few occasions the wrong ones win. If you were a skater you would feel the pain. You don't seem to care if a skater is wronged as long as someone, anyone wins.

Joe

As long as the judges are human, there will be few occassions when the wrong ones wins and yes, if I was a skater I would feel the pain. This doesn't happen only to the skaters or athletes. Have you never thought that you were wronged or you deserved more etc.? But we all learn to deal with this kind of disappointments and skaters are no exception.
And no, I am not happy just "as long as someone, anyone wins" but I AM happy that most of the times the best ones win.

rain

Record Breaker
And quite frankly, I think what $peedy (and others of his ilk in the ISU) LOVE about this system is there's NO MORE BOOING. Coddle those judges, after all, no matter how corrupt.

There was also some pretty loud and extended booing at Canadians after Sandhu was ridiculously held up in his short program. People still know crap judging when they see it and aren't afraid to say so.