over-rotated arms during jumps | Golden Skate

over-rotated arms during jumps

aimeeskates

Spectator
I need help with getting my loop and flip jumps. I can land my loop jump probably 7/10 tries but I can't land the flip properly. I always turn the 180 degrees and pause for a second before I take the jump. I always rotate with a half blade too which makes me unable to do it with speed. Looking back at the videos (loop jump) it's obvious that my waist down can't catch up with my waist up. So I rotate my arms while my feet are still not there yet. My guess is that this makes me unable to use my arms for height and also makes it hard for me to find the right timing. It has became a habit now and I do it without myself noticing however when I try to correct it I seem to do it anyway even though I thought I got rid of it.

Any advice would help! Thanks.

Aimee-01

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I had this problem with my double lutz, and I found when I stopped my head turning as much as it was my arms were much less over rotated.

Also I love your name šŸ˜‚

BunniesSkate

Rinkside
I need help with getting my loop and flip jumps. I can land my loop jump probably 7/10 tries but I can't land the flip properly. I always turn the 180 degrees and pause for a second before I take the jump. I always rotate with a half blade too which makes me unable to do it with speed. Looking back at the videos (loop jump) it's obvious that my waist down can't catch up with my waist up. So I rotate my arms while my feet are still not there yet. My guess is that this makes me unable to use my arms for height and also makes it hard for me to find the right timing. It has became a habit now and I do it without myself noticing however when I try to correct it I seem to do it anyway even though I thought I got rid of it.

Any advice would help! Thanks.
I had this issue with a few of my doubles, where my arms would go in too fast and not allow me to reach the height for rotation. It creates spinny jumps that are a pain to fix. How long have you been skating for? Sometimes people go into self protection mode when they aren't super comfortable skating yet, which is normal. If it's that, off ice jumps help me a lot.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I would need to see video, but in general, think about keeping the picking arm and shoulder back to reduce upper body pre-rotation

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It sounds like you are pre rotating the takeoff. Ask your coach how to stop that.