Pairs Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I don't know, the fact remains that they might not have won that silver if the two teams ahead of them hadn't bitten it. You can still give them credit; being the only ones to skate relatively clean in a splatfest can always be applauded, and that's exactly what they did.:biggrin: But had all three teams skated clean, the results would have looked different. Even if M&B probably would have made the Finale anyway.

Dube/Davison havent done a clean LP all season, this was their worst so far, but each event they had atleast one bad fall and other small mistake. McLaughlin/Brubaker came closer to skating clean in the LP then Dube/Davison have all season so far. The Ukranians are having a bad season so far, they didnt do any worse then might have been expected unfortunately. Talking about clean skating is almost an anamoly with most of these pairs. The Zhangs are the exception to that rule so far and that is why they are looking like the team to beat up to this point, since their main rivals the Germans are unfortunately not another exception to this rule so far even though I feel they are the better pair.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know, the fact remains that they might not have won that silver if the two teams ahead of them hadn't bitten it. You can still give them credit; being the only ones to skate relatively clean in a splatfest can always be applauded, and that's exactly what they did.:biggrin: But had all three teams skated clean, the results would have looked different. Even if M&B probably would have made the Finale anyway.

Uh, V/M are one of the most inconsistent teams around. I did not think they would finish better than 4th in this competition, and I was right.

I figured right from the getgo that McLaughlin/Brubaker were a strong possibility for 3rd, and it so happened that they beat D/D and won silver.

M/B were scoring over 165 in their summer competitions, so the possibility was always there that with a little improvement, they could challenge D/D, who scored just over 111 in the FS at Skate Canada. M/B's FS score at NHK (110+) was very close that, so it is not that much of a surprise that they beat D/D.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Spatfest.

S&S are getting better. Obviously, Aliona was pissed off about the last throw. For the first time, I sensed she's not happy about her partner... The overall performance was perhaps the strongest since they at least did not fall.

Disappointed in V&M. I was rooting for them to go to GPF, they have the goods, but are not consistent.

D&D were lucky for their first two GP events. I feel they are the only top pai this seasonr who has not made any progress in technical content, presentation and consistency.

L&H were disappointing as well. Too bad when they skated well, they did not get enough credit.

So far this season, Zhangs are looking strong, S&S are getting better. Pang & Tong are okay, but their technical content is lagging. K&S have the biggest leap in difficulty. M&T have improved tremedously. M&B have a great senior debut. V&M are yet to prove themselves. Not impressed with D&D.

oxade21

Match Penalty
It is fantastic result for a junior team to get to GPF, BUT to do it with a score 160s??? Just tells how awful the state of this descipline is and how wrong the seed is organized.

netnuts

Match Penalty
The Zhangs are the exception to that rule so far and that is why they are looking like the team to beat up to this point, since their main rivals the Germans are unfortunately not another exception to this rule so far even though I feel they are the better pair.

Zhangs did not do clean LP at 'Cup of Russia'. They also had many mistakes. Dan Zhang doubled their combination jump to 2A+2T, she also stepped out a throw 3loop. Hao Zhang had an awkward landing in 3S but saved it.

Their first outing at TEB was squeaky clean though...

netnuts

Match Penalty
It is fantastic result for a junior team to get to GPF, BUT to do it with a score 160s??? Just tells how awful the state of this descipline is and how wrong the seed is organized.

I think the final rankings are largely okay... Maybe M&T should have squeezed it in and that's it. IMHO, based on the overall performance, the following six should get into the final.

Zhangs
S&S
Pang&Tong
K&S
M&T
D&D

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Zhangs did not do clean LP at 'Cup of Russia'. They also had many mistakes. Dan Zhang doubled their combination jump to 2A+2T, she also stepped out a throw 3loop. Hao Zhang had an awkward landing in 3S but saved it.

Their first outing at TEB was squeaky clean though...

They had one small mistake, doubling a side by side so pretty much clean.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I think the final rankings are largely okay... Maybe M&T should have squeezed it in and that's it. IMHO, based on the overall performance, the following six should get into the final.

Zhangs
S&S
Pang&Tong
K&S
M&T
D&D

Well, you got my point then;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mukhortova/Trankov needed to beat Kawaguchi/Smirnov at Cup of Russia to get a shot at the GPF. They didn't. Enough said. They had their chance, and they blew it. It's just too bad that the Russians made it impossible for both teams to make it to the final.

McLaughlin/Brubaker, Langlois/Hay and Volosozhar/Morozov all had a shot to go to the GPF, V/M and L/H by winning silver, M/B by finishing 4th. L/H and V/M blew it, and M/B skated a personal best.

The GPF will have to serve as M/B's major competition this year, because she is too young for 4CC and Worlds, and he, too old for Junior Worlds.

Mukhortova/Trankov and Volosozhar/Morozov will get their chance to compete against Kawaguchi/Smirnov at Europeans, and against the Chinese, Germans and Canadians at Worlds.

oleada

Record Breaker
But D/D didn't skate clean, either. In fact the team who had the least mistakes was McLaughlin / Brubaker.

You were insinuating that maybe M/B wouldn't make the final because V/M would win silver and outscore them, when what actually happened was M/B won silver.

I had hoped for bronze for M/B and was thrilled that they beat D/D for silver.

Yeah, and I totally didn't expect M&B to do so well, and I'm thrilled that they did. I like this team and think they have tons of potential. I never put M&B down, I said that it might come down to a tiebreaker if V&M finished second and they finished fifth. Which is a fact, not an insinuation of any kind. I like both teams, and would've loved to see them both skate well (actually, I like all the teams in this field).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, you never at any time said that McLaughlin / Brubaker had a chance at the podium, only that they needed to finish at least fifth.

They were scoring 165+ at SUMMER competitions and they always had the potential to beat teams like D/D, L/H and an inconsistent V/M. You won't see them internationally after the GPF until next season, but don't expect them to stagnate in the meantime.

BTW, M/B had a higher score at NHK than D/D did at 2007 Worlds, and D/D finished 7th.

oleada

Record Breaker
Sorry, but I don't see how I'm bashing M&B. Did I think they were going to make the podium? No. Was I wrong about that? Yes. Am I glad that they did? Yes.

And they only needed to finish fifth. It's the truth.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Mukhortova/Trankov needed to beat Kawaguchi/Smirnov at Cup of Russia to get a shot at the GPF. They didn't. Enough said. They had their chance, and they blew it.

Blew it!?! Mukhortova/Trankov were great at Cup of Russia, they skated about as well as they could have. They still finished 4th since the level of that competition was so high, that is hardly blowing it. You dont have to say they deserved to be in the final but dont say they blew it.

Yes I can also see people saying they were unlucky since their scores there would have placed them 1st or 2nd at every other event except Eric Bompard were they would only be 3rd. Even if you take into account possible home court inflation to their scores they definitely would still be 1st or 2nd at every other event except Eric Bompard (incidentally their own other event). However they got stuck at what turned out to be by far the hardest GP of all of them this year, and at their first event the 2nd hardest GP of the year. Their lower score from their first event (not in Russia) would have even been 2nd at Skate Ameria, 3rd at Skate Canada, 2nd at Cup of China, 2nd at NHK. They got the worst luck in their assignments of any team.

Last edited:

hongligl

Final Flight
I like M/T's skating but maybe not the girl's personality. That reminds me too much of a certain pair skater that I don't like.

Cal Girl

Rinkside
Yeah for M/B! Even with her touching down on the throw and two-footing the 2a they scored really high! They will even be higher without those minor mistakes. Good for Keauna landing the sbs 3sal and for a great LP at NHK. Hope they keep improving this season and qualify for Worlds next year.:agree:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I like M/T's skating but maybe not the girl's personality. That reminds me too much of a certain pair skater that I don't like.

To me stylistically it looks like they are being transformed into another version of that pair you so much dont like. :chorus: That shouldnt be a shock, they have the same coach as that "other" pair used to have.

Lots of 'IF's here. S/S and D/D were seeded but not needed here, FACT.

Except for the two seeds, I would say that McLaughlin and Brubaker (god, that's a mouthful) are a more promising team than Volo/Mor for the future and all the others at NHK. Maybe Langois and Hay will be more seriously scored next time out.

Joe

oxade21

Match Penalty
Lots of 'IF's here. S/S and D/D were seeded but not needed here, FACT.

Except for the two seeds, I would say that McLaughlin and Brubaker (god, that's a mouthful) are a more promising team than Volo/Mor for the future and all the others at NHK. Maybe Langois and Hay will be more seriously scored next time out.

Joe

Well, I would not comapre V/M to M/B or L/H. V/M much more epxerienced pair and considering the partner's age they are probably skating their last Olympic cycle?? Not sure if Tatiana continues.
I think, it would be more fair to compare M/B and L/H to other junior teams for example, Bazarova and Krasilnikova. That's where the real competition will unfold starting 2010. I think at this point technically I like M/B and L/H but overall I prefer Russians who got that old-fashioned Russian training in them.
In fact, I personally prefer L/H to D/D among Canadians.
But we yet to see another good American pair N/L to skate.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Well, I would not comapre V/M to M/B or L/H. V/M much more epxerienced pair and considering the partner's age they are probably skating their last Olympic cycle?? Not sure if Tatiana continues.
I think, it would be more fair to compare M/B and L/H to other junior teams for example, Bazarova and Krasilnikova. That's where the real competition will unfold starting 2010. I think at this point technically I like M/B and L/H but overall I prefer Russians who got that old-fashioned Russian training in them.
In fact, I personally prefer L/H to D/D among Canadians.
But we yet to see another good American pair N/L to skate.

L/H are hardly junior pairs. L is always 25(26?), she used to partner with another guy and had quite some success at words and GP during 2004/2005 season(I believe) H is much younger...