Pairs Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

mhu714

On the Ice
I guess these ridiculous scores don't matter as much as the placements but D&D will finish in 6th which I think is a bit of a joke. Someone must explain some of these PCS scores to me and why the pairs in the top 6 or 8 are so much higher than those lower. As a fan who watches skating regularly but admittedly is not an expert at looking for things like edging, air position, and other assorted skating skills, it just seems like pairs skating clean are slotted way behind pairs that screw up several tech elements. It might help if the tv commentators tried to explain this to the those who only watch every 4 years. it might help keep audiences higher in the off oly years.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Sheesh one of the atdhe.net feeds rather put luge over the final flight? Fudge!

By the way, Jamie & David's reaction after M&M's performance... priceless. NBC has a way to try to create drama.

andofan

Rinkside
Sheesh one of the atdhe.net feeds rather put luge over the final flight? Fudge!

By the way, Jamie & David's reaction after M&M's performance... priceless. NBC has a way to try to create drama.
Whose M/M?
I'm watching British euro's on atdhe, and why are they putting on luge?!?! Are they going to show the pairs final flight soon??

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I guess these ridiculous scores don't matter as much as the placements but D&D will finish in 6th which I think is a bit of a joke. Someone must explain some of these PCS scores to me and why the pairs in the top 6 or 8 are so much higher than those lower. As a fan who watches skating regularly but admittedly is not an expert at looking for things like edging, air position, and other assorted skating skills, it just seems like pairs skating clean are slotted way behind pairs that screw up several tech elements. It might help if the tv commentators tried to explain this to the those who only watch every 4 years. it might help keep audiences higher in the off oly years.

I agree with you there in some cases. Like Evora and Ladwig clearly deserved higher PCS, and Zhang/Zhang deserved lower. But a lot of the pairs that went before didn't just make obvious mistakes, but were much rougher on every element compared to the latter, more elite teams. The judges get it wrong a lot of the times, but not all the time.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Also, I checked the protocols. Did you know that a fall is now a required element for the penultimate group? It's designed to ensure that the best short program skaters get help to win gold.

.... okay, I totally stole that joke.

magicalwords

On the Ice
What are you talking about? Can you please explain your frustration?

Mostly PCS.

I'd expected a general increase in PCS for most pairs, but for some pairs it's so obvious that this isn't even funny.
Say, like D/D, who clearly, IMO, wasn't at their best, or K/S pair (though their score isn't out yet, their GP circut PCS score from Euros score is about 10 pts difference, etc)
I mean, I am at least sorta-okay with Z/Z's PCS score, I don't think they deserve 60+. But there are other pairs who are very overmarked in Pairs discipline, and if this blatant judging continues throught the event (Men, Ladies, Ice Dance) I kinda wish to not see this in Olympics anymore. FS is my favorite sport in teh Winter Olympics and I don't want it to be tainted by controversial jundging (impossible, I suppose, but at least not this obviously :mad:)

Now, it's only pairs for now, but I'm really frustrated with skaters being 'wuzrobbed' continuously.

aurora100

Final Flight
They just showed the Chinese coach Bin Yao competing in 1980! His partner looks like a little girl, just like in Soviet Tradition. I wonder why they never interview this guy more. I'm sure he has a lot of stories to tell. Rod Black said that Yao was embarassed when people laughed at their skating so he vowed to become a pairs coach, and what a coach he has become.

mhu714

On the Ice
Bin Yao's story is amazing and has been oft told but I'm really rooting for S&Z to cap off his career with a gold medal (not that he's retiring of course but who knows if he'll ever coach another true gold medal favorite).

evangeline

Record Breaker
Final group warming up.

K/S are totally working the B/S vibe, their costumes look like B/S' 2002 Olympic LP ones in colouring.
Bin Yao looking poker-faced as usual, CTV showing Bin Yao's 1980s worlds performance...
S/Z looking sharp in red
So many skaters wearing red in this final group!
Tamara Moskvina's looking fierce
Throw 4S being discussed

K/S up!

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
They just showed the Chinese coach Bin Yao competing in 1980! His partner looks like a little girl, just like in Soviet Tradition. I wonder why they never interview this guy more. I'm sure he has a lot of stories to tell. Rod Black said that Yao was embarassed when people laughed at their skating so he vowed to become a pairs coach, and what a coach he has become.
In the fluff they showed on NBC he said he's been away from his family for almost 20 years. And he has a son that he saw as a baby an the next time he saw him he didn't recognize him...he started crying taling about it.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
bobble on the throw triple ... they look both nervous AND very introverted.

Edited to add: stumble after the 2A by Smirnov, missed second jump of combo, fall on the throw and now she's holding her wrist - !