Pairs SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know their points totals are close, but I really think from hearing what went down that Meagan and Craig deserved to be the top Canadian pair after the SP. Seems like the early skate order cost them a little. Remember they beat Jessica and Bryce at Canadian Nationals in the SP too.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I agree on all points. But this team is DOOMED. She really has to change partner if she ever wants to be on a podium.

I think on FSU or another figure skating forum someone suggested Volosozhar/Smirnov after 2010.

It's not a bad idea. Morosov will be 31 after the Olympics and I sincerely doubt that he will continue. Kavaguti will be 29 after the Olympics, 30 the next season. That's not young.

Volosozhar and Smirnov will be 24 and 26 after the Olympics, which is simply too young to stop - in my humble opinion.

singerskates

On the Ice
What is with the free marks between 2nd and 6th? Most of them all had some kind of hiccup but they still finish well over 61.80. I do believe that the Germans belong on top but what a huge score!!! :scratch: :eek: How are the Canadians suppose to catch up to that? If Jessica and Bryce get a Bronze medal again, they're going to have to skate the skate of their lives, the way the judges are throwing out the marks to the Russians, Chinese and Urkranians.
Sad to say but I don't think the Americans have a chance of breaking the top 8.

Here's hoping that the Canadians bring on the fire in between the elements in the freeskates and that Jessica doesn't try to go for an under rotated quad Sal. Yeah, I know she wasn't going for a quad but she did over rotate the 3 Sal which cause her to step out of her landing. I also hope the Americans have a decent skate in the freeskate too.

I'm just so shocked at how many pairs have broken 60 this year at Worlds; 8 pairs. Woah! :think:

oxade21

Match Penalty
What is with the free marks between 2nd and 6th? Most of them all had some kind of hiccup but they still finish well over 61.80. I do believe that the Germans belong on top but what a huge score!!! :scratch: :eek: How are the Canadians suppose to catch up to that? If Jessica and Bryce get a Bronze medal again, they're going to have to skate the skate of their lives, the way the judges are throwing out the marks to the Russians, Chinese and Urkranians.
:

LOL. Keep dreaming.

oleada

Record Breaker
Uh, D/D have only themselves to blame. Their SP has been panned all season long, and rightfully so. Their twist was terribly subpar compared to the teams above them, their choreography is nonexistent, and Jessica had a mistake on the side by side salchow. They should take a lesson and change a program when it's been reviewed so badly. Frankly, they should have been behind D/B.

Did you watch the competition? Because the teams between 2nd and 6th earned their scores. I've never seen Kawaguchi and Smirnov skate so well, Zhang and Zhang got a standing O, Mukhortova and Trankov were simply magical, Volosozhar and Morozov had the best twist I've ever seen and a much more compelling program. They were better than Dubé and Davison today, full stop. It truly was an outstanding competition. Frankly, I thought the judging was extremely fair tonight, one of those rare occasions.

I don't know what you're talking about the quad salchow - Jessica doesn't even have a very good success rate with the triple.

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I know their points totals are close, but I really think from hearing what went down that Meagan and Craig deserved to be the top Canadian pair after the SP. Seems like the early skate order cost them a little. Remember they beat Jessica and Bryce at Canadian Nationals in the SP too.

I agree. I don't find really fair, that they are getting dinged so hard for that double twist. Even the throw is a lutz, which technically is higher than the loop. They might not have the poloshed look as D/D have, but they are athletic. I will really scrutinize their protocols, to understand what is wrong iwth their marks, but I am sure is the PCS's their downfall.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

D/D are not going to medal unless there's a splatfest in the final flight. And I don't think the judges were throwing out marks at all. At least judging from what I heard in the PBP, teams 1-5 all skated really really well. I do think the Ukranians have a pretty high score considering the fall.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Uh, D/D have only themselves to blame. Their SP has been panned all season long, and rightfully so. Their twist was terribly subpar compared to the teams above them, their choreography is nonexistent, and Jessica had a mistake on the side by side salchow. They should take a lesson and change a program when it's been reviewed so badly. Frankly, they should have been behind D/B.

Didn't they only just semi-learned triple twist?

Anyway, I think they need a complete makeover. Change the coach, visit the nearest Virgin megastore (and stay away from Coldplay/Nickeback sale stand).

Even though people hate K/S around here, I admire their determination and hard work. That team progressed so much and always ups the difficulty unlike D/D.

herios

Medalist
*awaits the Phil Hersh article ripping Keauna and Rockne to shreds* Just had this thought pop in my mind, but you know it's coming down the pipe any time now!

That guy should get a life. What does he want ? Keuna is only 16 year old. Look at the top 3, their age and experience.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I think on FSU or another figure skating forum someone suggested Volosozhar/Smirnov after 2010.

It's not a bad idea. Morosov will be 31 after the Olympics and I sincerely doubt that he will continue. Kavaguti will be 29 after the Olympics, 30 the next season. That's not young.

Volosozhar and Smirnov will be 24 and 26 after the Olympics, which is simply too young to stop - in my humble opinion.

I'd love to see that happen. I know what you mean. I can't imagine Morozov and Kavaguti (I'm still not used to spelling her new name) not retiring after 2010, but it will be a great pity if their partners retire with them too!

oleada

Record Breaker
D/D are not going to medal unless there's a splatfest in the final flight. And I don't think the judges were throwing out marks at all. At least judging from what I heard in the PBP, teams 1-5 all skated really really well. I do think the Ukranians have a pretty high score considering the fall.

They didn't fall - she stepped out of the 3T.

I agree that D/D need a makeover. Adding a 3Twist is great, but their programs are not good at all. They seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut. The objective should be to control your own destiny, not to have to depend on other's errors.

herios

Medalist

There was NO FALL. Tatiana overrotated her sbs triple and put her free foot down slightly on the throw. Still they scored too high and to close to Pang and Tong who got just some unison problems on the spins and sbs jump.

oxade21

Match Penalty

They would rock but I think if Smirnov stay after 2010, he will have plenty of in-house brides to shop around.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Well, the draw for LP is in and it looks very good for S/S, K/S, and M/T.
Dan ZHANG / Hao ZHANG
Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV
Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY
Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV

Big pressure on K/S to skate after S/S. But M/T's draw is good for them.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
They didn't fall - she stepped out of the 3T.

I agree that D/D need a makeover. Adding a 3Twist is great, but their programs are not good at all. They seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut. The objective should be to control your own destiny, not to have to depend on other's errors.

Oh, really? My bad, I must have misread the pbp.

I always preferred Langlois/Hay to Dube/Davison. There was always more spark in their programs, and Anabelle's so charming!

D/D skated really well last year, but their programs this year aren't helping them much. They've really got to ditch Carmen and Coldplay next season!

danilv

Spectator
I was at the Pair's SP - (first Worlds in 16 years!), and a lot of people in the arena were talking afterwards about the Zhangs' program being their favorite - there was something really captivating about their program and about K/S' (which I found magical). Top 3 all earned well-deserved standing O's - tonight made me remember why I used to love skating so much - (I haven't followed it closely for the last 10 years). I was most looking forward to M/T's program, but although they skated it well, it just draw in the audience the way the top 3 did.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I was at the Pair's SP - (first Worlds in 16 years!), and a lot of people in the arena were talking afterwards about the Zhangs' program being their favorite - there was something really captivating about their program and about K/S' (which I found magical). Top 3 all earned well-deserved standing O's - tonight made me remember why I used to love skating so much - (I haven't followed it closely for the last 10 years). I was most looking forward to M/T's program, but although they skated it well, it just draw in the audience the way the top 3 did.

:rock: YES!!!
Sounds like Worlds had the best start one could ask for...hope they show recaps on tv or somebody HAVE better upload it on Youtube very very soon!

Hope the men and ladies fare as well...

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I did not get to watch the pairs SP, but my theory is that the skated gods have rewarded Yuko and Alexander because she dumped that hideous tutu. I have my doubts about the neckline and her haircut, but overall both looked much nicer than they did at Euros.

This brings up the question: have they done something about this? If not, the skate gods may need to take action.

Fae

Rinkside
Man..it sounds like the Last 2 groups were really exciting. Stupid time differences *shakes fist*

Congrads to the top 6!! I hope the LP skating will be just as great.
Meanwhile, any vid links would be much appreciated XD