Papadakis/Cizeron Inside Skating interview | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Papadakis/Cizeron Inside Skating interview

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Guys, enough please. We are figure skating fans. Let's not fight each other it's pointless. Let the skaters express their opinions about figure skating. What counts for us is what we see on the ice, nobody insulted nobody.

Looking at all the comments makes me laugh now actually :biggrin:

To put everyone on the same page, I propose a vote : those in favour of replacing the Latin SD by a mandatory Justin Bieber Polka-remixed SD next year, raise your hands please or else forever hold your peace :cool:

moriel

Record Breaker
Guys, enough please. We are figure skating fans. Let's not fight each other it's pointless. Let the skaters express their opinions about figure skating. What counts for us is what we see on the ice, nobody insulted nobody.

Looking at all the comments makes me laugh now actually :biggrin:

To put everyone on the same page, I propose a vote : those in favour of replacing the Latin SD by a mandatory Justin Bieber Polka-remixed SD next year, raise your hands please or else forever hold your peace :cool:

Its off season =D
until next season begins, fans will fight each other and only the strongest will survive to see the grand prix next year hehe

Serious now, it would be actually interesting to see everybody skate to same music.

GF2445

Record Breaker
What would be nice if they made an exception this coming season to some of the 'illegal elements' on their element restriction list for this short dance.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this is so bizarre to me to read...

I started watching ice dance during the Klimova/Ponomarenko Usova/Zhulin era...

Free dances often looked like ballet on ice... it was gorgeous.. sublime... but then, it was so dramatic... and it would at times, get over the top ridiculously emotional...

Ice dance, especially under 6.0 era was ridiculed by many.... it almost lost its olympic status.

The ISU, IMHO, has done a lot of work to make sure ice dance remains an olympic sport...

they have made some rules to differentiate ballet on ice from ice dance, recognizing the ballroom tradition and later on, with the COP defining precise required elements....

sure, the CD were showing the essence of the sport but they were indeed boring...
i think the best move ever in all the rule changes was to include the set pattern in the SD... now we have a combo of the thematic + technical....

I find P/C very beautiful to watch. They look like they would be contemporary dancers if they didn't have skates on... not as balletic as the Russians from the early 90s, but still not in the kind of ice dance that the ISU was going for... yet, what they do works out because now, there is a canvas, with precise elements to incorporate... they have adapted their strength very well to the FD.

So, I'd just say, well, in that sport, it's like biathlon... if you cannot ski, well you might as well be the best at shooting but you will still lose.... the kids are still very young and it takes a while to master all these patterns... it's normal that some won't fit them as well as some others. but gosh, i did find some comments borderline dismissive to

1) fellow skaters, choreographers, coaches who work very hard every year to make every pattern work
2) latin music.... it's not because everyone skates to POTO that it means that all musicals sound like POTO.... i agree with some of the posters who said "do some more research, consult with some experts... they are in a city with lots of latin people... take advantage of that and learn something....

So yeah.... LEARN something.... true artists are always trying to better themselves and learn new things. I find that in the interview, they come across as close minded a bit.

I am thankful we have got to see how their style shine in the FD they have created so far. A lot of people are learning from them... why don't they open up and learn from others?

It's a sport, with various requirements based on various skill-sets.. i'd be BORED to death if BOTH segments allowed teams to skate similar styles year after year...

Final thought : yes... hip hop was an odd thing this year... however, if it didn't do favours to some.... i will remember forever Tessa's fierceness in that style and of course the disco of piper and paul... who admitted they didn't want to do what everyone else would do, did some research, realized disco was available, and came up with a great program... one for eternity....
embrace tradition if you want to be a relevant innovator
-4everchan (quote by me) LOL

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, Davis/White's Latin SD was pretty deplorable too, so no surprise Charlie feels that way.

It feels like P/C are trying to make excuses for their SD ahead of time because they know it'll be a real weakness of theirs.

I wouldn't read too much into their comments. Also, keep in mind many have said and noted that both P/C and D/W were not necessarily best suited for latin type dances or sexy tangos. They will do fine beause they are good ice dancing but there was a lack of sincerity or chemistry for these dances that they do not exude but they will do fine still.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I wouldn't read too much into their comments. Also, keep in mind many have said and noted that both P/C and D/W were not necessarily best suited for latin type dances or sexy tangos. They will do fine beause they are good ice dancing but there was a lack of sincerity or chemistry for these dances that they do not exude but they will do fine still.

exactly - it's just hard to understand for some people that being skater and having an opinion - a 'polarizing' one not suiting everyone's tastes - is plain normal and have usually nothing to do with actual skating/programs/performances. They are entitled to have their view on Latin style/Latin rhythm being a subject of next season's SD, not necessarily translating it into their SD - moreover, I suspect their SD would be nothing like 'typical Latin' we usually see on ice. So do other teams have their right and freedom to express opinions on rhythms and stuff, in a 'popular' way or not. And people have to live with that, some just can't get over it, looking for too much/too deep in those words. Personally, I'm just waiting for Senior Bs to start and see how Latin will look like by teams, open minded.

Another thing You pointed is that 'lack of sincerity or chemistry' - for me, it's a matter of perception a bit and what a viewer seeks in dance/what is his/her focus point, what he/she is paying attention to watching Ice Dance teams. Those who view it by this 'sincere chemistry' factor will always find e.g. Gabriella/Guillaume lacking I think, because they do not exude that strictly romantic kind of chemistry. But I do not think it should be a main factor to view all team through - not having a romantic or 'convincing' kind of chemistry in Ice Dance is not a fault nor a lack for me, it is not a requirement and an ingredient for a success recipe. This 'lack' or fault is just personal filer I think, quite harmful for such viewer if you ask me, because having such personal convictions/standards over discipline in general, ID partnerships/how they supposed to look like does not allow to enjoy differences and diverse approaches to this discipline. My personal view on this is that I'm constantly searching for 'natuality' in Ice Dance (not confusing it with being natural dancers!): I am just all about organic, unforced feel of a programs, partnership, relationship, performance, regardless of such factors like team's nationality, experience, off-ice relationship, style and 'reputation'.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Its off season =D
until next season begins, fans will fight each other and only the strongest will survive to see the grand prix next year hehe

Serious now, it would be actually interesting to see everybody skate to same music.

my thought exactly for the past ID season to be honest...I think that e.g. if there will be a footage of Tessa/Scott and Gabriella/Guillaume skating to the same music, maybe therefore those who mercilessly set them against each other, pointing their flaws/lacks in respect to the other team and compare them to no end would finally see how different both teams are in their awesomeness, respectively.

And those who are seeing e.g. their last FDs as same/rip-off of one another would be able to see how different their general take on such 'modern/lyrical/contemporary' style of programs is. But I guess for some slow is slow, fast is just fast, no shades in between.

Ender

Match Penalty
Because she thinks all Latin music sounds the same, as she said in the interview. It's not all the same, but to a non-expert, it sure sounds like it. (Trust me, this entire forum will be complaining about Latin music all sounding the same by the time we are halfway through the season.)
The free dances last season all sound the same even though they used different types of music.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The free dances last season all sound the same even though they used different types of music.

I think that often happens. when I look at Michelle Kwan's body of work whiel I agree all were gorgeous they kind of all looked the same and in a away sounded the same. Perfunctory triple lutz double toe near the beginning; the spiral leding to a spin, a fallin leap, the stare into the heavens. P/C are very good ice dancers and I am sure they will figure something out that works for them in the sd. I do wish though, and it doesn't effect the score, we could see them a bit more versatile because their fd tend to look very similar. Maybe their relationship or their chemistry is like Duhamel and Radford - there is chemistry but not the romantic / passionate type. Hmmm I wonder if siblings could take a lesson from p/c. Though I am not sure Guillaume's sleeveless look really adds to their programs - other than for crazy fans who think it adds to eye candy. :)

Barb

Record Breaker
I think that often happens. when I look at Michelle Kwan's body of work whiel I agree all were gorgeous they kind of all looked the same and in a away sounded the same. Perfunctory triple lutz double toe near the beginning; the spiral leding to a spin, a fallin leap, the stare into the heavens. P/C are very good ice dancers and I am sure they will figure something out that works for them in the sd. I do wish though, and it doesn't effect the score, we could see them a bit more versatile because their fd tend to look very similar. Maybe their relationship or their chemistry is like Duhamel and Radford - there is chemistry but not the romantic / passionate type. Hmmm I wonder if siblings could take a lesson from p/c. Though I am not sure Guillaume's sleeveless look really adds to their programs - other than for crazy fans who think it adds to eye candy. :)

What do you mean?. The Parsons and the Shibs are perfectly fine with their chemistry, and it is not like P/C don´t use romantic stuff http://imgur.com/a/qkBfB

Last edited:

Ender

Match Penalty
I think P/C are gorgeous but their style starts being monotonous to me. And it's sad that last season most teams tried the same style. Only C/B dare skate to something different.

all that

Final Flight
PC's FDs have broken the WR at every Worlds. If I were them I'd skate the same style FD forever, because clearly the ISU can never get enough.

Ender

Match Penalty
PC's FDs have broken the WR at every Worlds. If I were them I'd skate the same style FD forever, because clearly the ISU can never get enough.
I think their style will be favored for at least another season. The next quad might be different. There will be someone who bring something new and it will become a trend. It has always been this way in all kinds of sports and arts.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
They are rather blunt in that interview.
I thought Latin could be very challenging for them and with that attitude it won't help them. As for cheap & cliche ... many share this view, I can agree with them even though I am very curious about next season SD (and I actually prefer Latin than Tango as SD).

But calling all Latin "the same" is overkill.

There is need for Gabrielle & Guillaume to be more open minded but I respect that they voice their opinion. Latin styles are among less compatible on the ice but they're integral part of it.

Last edited:

randomsplashes

Rinkside
I recognize that skaters obviously have the right to voice their opinions. However, it also sounds like Gabby and Gui don't a lot of insight about the history of this discipline. Ballroom dancing has always been a part of ice dance, it's what this discipline has been been incorporating into since its inception. And something tells me that they wouldn't have thrived that well in CDs or ODs. As much as I appreciate having these two push the sport, I think perhaps being more open-minded would help them excel better in the latin SD.

Ender

Match Penalty
I think some specific styles suit some specific teams. If they're not good at Latin, they will never be outstanding at it.

bevybean

On the Ice
Wow! What a difference! The first article really did sound like they were feeling insecure and making excuses ahead of time. But this one really sounds more like they respect the SD for what it is and are looking forward to the challenge it presents.

Thank you for sharing this.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Wow! What a difference! The first article really did sound like they were feeling insecure and making excuses ahead of time. But this one really sounds more like they respect the SD for what it is and are looking forward to the challenge it presents.

Thank you for sharing this.

I think the first should really be understood in the context and the timing of the interview. It was right at the end of World, in the middle of people dismantling all the installations, in a corner in the dark. They were probably still high and emotional from their roller coaster of a competition (and season tbh) and they hadn't even started to tackle the new SD. So it was very much first impressions. This interview was conducted more recently and they probably have already started training the SD, working off-ice as they mentioned, so I'm not surprised they sound more composed and assured. People jump easily to conclusions. Anyway, I'm mostly happy to hear they are already working on their FD, it's really early for them to know what they gonna do. This makes me hopeful they understood their mistake last season by being so late to start.

alain06fr

On the Ice
Guillaume: The thing about the free dance is that you get to really ice dance, and not dance on the ice. You know what I mean? And the short dance is more about dancing on the ice. All those ballroom positions don’t really fit to the ice, to the material that we have. I think it’s always gonna be a struggle, because we are ice dancers, we’re not ballroom dancers. And for me the short dance kind of feels like Dancing with the stars. You pick skaters, and you try to make them ballroom dancers, but it’s never gonna… Like if you wanna see Latin dance, go watch a ballroom… ball, you know? [laughing] So I think it always kind of looks cheap.

---------------------------------
I fully agree with him.
Ice dancers are NOT and will NEVER be ballroom dancers, obviously! All short dances this year will be about skaters dancing on the ice on rhumba and samba rhythms, which have nothing to do with ballroom rhumbas and ballroom sambas! The most funny thing is that some pretended to be rhumbas will be danced on a ... samba rhythm. Of course, short dances will be fun to watch but, despite what people think, what he says is just the truth and nothing else.