Parade of US Gold Medal Single Skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Parade of US Gold Medal Single Skaters

orchid

On the Ice
flying camel said:
Didn't Dorothy Hamill look sick?

No, she did not appear to be sick. She did have a different hair cut, after all this time, a variation of the Hamill.

Dorothy seemed nervous, excited and proud to be on center ice.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Where was Barbara Ann Scott mentioned in the list? She won, I believe, in the early 50s.

Joe, if you are referring to my list, I had her on there as a medalist, however a previous poster pointed out that she actually represented Canada, not the US(my mistake, my list was only supposed to be compiled of skaters that represented the US), so I edited her name out.

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
Where was Barbara Ann Scott mentioned in the list? She won, I believe, in the early 50s.

Joe

Barbara Ann Scott won the Olympic gold medal in 1948. And, yes, she skated for Canada, not the US.

S

SkateFan4Life

orchid said:
No, she did not appear to be sick. She did have a different hair cut, after all this time, a variation of the Hamill.

Dorothy seemed nervous, excited and proud to be on center ice.

I thought Dorothy looked beautiful, as she always does! The lady is ageless. :biggrin:

S

SkateFan4Life

*~RussianBleux~* said:
Now they should have a gathering of all of the medalists from the USA, not just gold...at least those that are still living...

Ladies:
Theresa Weld(1920-Bronze)
Beatrix Loughran(1924-Silver;1928-Bronze)
Maribel Vinson(1932-Bronze)
Tenley Albright(1952-Silver;1956-Gold)
Carol Heiss(1956-Silver;1960-Gold)
Barbara Ann Roles(1960-Bronze)
Peggy Flemmin(1968-Gold)
Janet Lynn(1972-Bronze)
Dorothy Hamill(1976-Gold)
Linda Fratianne(1980-Silver)
Rosalyn Sumners(1984-Silver)
Debbie Thomas(1988-Bronze)
Kristi Yamaguchi(1992-Gold)
Nancy Kerrigan(1992-Bronze; 1994-Silver)
Tara Lipinski(1998-Gold)
Michelle Kwan(1998-Silver; 2002-Bronze)
Sarah Hughes(2002-Gold)

Men:
Dick Button(1948-Gold; 1952-Gold)
James Grogan(1952-Bronze)
Hayes Jenkins(1956-Gold)
David Jenkins(1956-Bronze)
Ronald Robertson(1956-Silver)
David Jenkins(1960-Gold)
Scott Allen(1964-Bronze)
Tim Wood(1968-Silver)
Charles Tickner(1980-Bronze)
Scott Hamilton(1984-Gold)
Brian Boitano(1988-Gold)
Paul Wylie(1992-Silver)
Timothy Goebel(2002-Bronze)

Pairs:
Beatrix Loughran/Sherwin Badger(1932-Silver)
Karol Kennedy/Peter Kennedy(1952-Silver)
Nancy Ludington/Ronald Ludington(1960-Bronze)
Kitty Carruthers/Peter Carruthers(1984-Silver)
Jill Watson/Peter Oppegard(1988-Bronze)

Dance:
Colleen O’Conner/James Millns(1976-Bronze)

It's hard to believe the US has won only ONE Olympic medal in Ice Dancing since the addition of the dance competition to the Olympics. Hopefully Tanith and Ben will be the start of a new arrival of pollished dance teams from the US on the international scene.

What a glorious list of champion skaters! :bow: I, too, would have loved to have seen the entire cast of medalists, but it would have been very, very hard to get everybody together at the same time. Peggy Fleming even commented on Sunday afternoon that it was the first time she had been in the company of all of the US gold medalists, and that was a comparatively smaller number.

*~RussianBleux~* said:
Joe, if you are referring to my list, I had her on there as a medalist, however a previous poster pointed out that she actually represented Canada, not the US(my mistake, my list was only supposed to be compiled of skaters that represented the US), so I edited her name out.
OK RB, no problem. But I still don't see her listed in your post unless you are listing Barbara Ann Roles as Barbara Ann Scott in which case 1960 is way off.

Barbara Ann Scott won after Sonia Henie with the war in between.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
OK RB, no problem. But I still don't see her listed in your post unless you are listing Barbara Ann Roles as Barbara Ann Scott in which case 1960 is way off.

Joe

Barbara Ann Scott won in 1948. :bow:

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
That was after the war when Olympics resumed.

Exactly. And that was the year Dick Button won his first of two Olympic gold medals. :bow:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Joesitz said:

Joe

Joe, I had Barbara Ann Scott on the list as winning an Olympic gold medal in 1948. Then a poster pointed out that she actually represented Canada, not the United States(I had thought she represented the United States). My list is only supposed to be composed of the competitors who won medals representing the US, not Canada. So I edited her name out of the list. Her name was on there on my original post, but I edited it out after realizing my mistake. :)

kbrady

Spectator
Russian Bleux, your original list is actually correct. Barbara Roles, an American skater, was the bronze medalist in 1960. I think she was in the news a few years ago when her medal was stolen from her car. I think it was eventally returned to her.

S

SkateFan4Life

kbrady said:
Russian Bleux, your original list is actually correct. Barbara Roles, an American skater, was the bronze medalist in 1960. I think she was in the news a few years ago when her medal was stolen from her car. I think it was eventally returned to her.

You're correct. Barbara Roles' Olympic bronze medal was stolen and returned to her a few years ago. I can't imagine what type of creep would have the nerve to steal an Olympic medal! :banging:

Jhar55

Medalist
I was there and it's too bad that only Dick turned to the side and waved and none of the others did, even when they group was together they should have turned so everyone could see them.