Star Power and Endorsements | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Star Power and Endorsements

cheerio2

On the Ice
Aside from money (cause her main sponsors were not that big and famous around the world), i think that Mao come close to that. she has her own skating show since 10 years and many tv specials over the years. She's the one who got the most media coverage though she is from a country who have several famous skaters before and after her.

The difference was that Yuna Kim had an international big media coverage. Even before Vancouver. Which is weird.

That's really interesting! I always thought Mao did not get much attention from Japanese media, but I guess that wasn't the case at all. In addition to the great timing of winning Worlds the prior year, I think Yuna's international coverage was also due in large part to Orser and his team's connections to skating commentators and North American sports media. Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Phil Hersh, the Canadian commentators, etc. were able to have more of a personal connection with Yuna than they would have had if her coach had been Tarasova, for example.

Barb

Record Breaker
That's really interesting! I always thought Mao did not get much attention from Japanese media, but I guess that wasn't the case at all. In addition to the great timing of winning Worlds the prior year, I think Yuna's international coverage was also due in large part to Orser and his team's connections to skating commentators and North American sports media. Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Phil Hersh, the Canadian commentators, etc. were able to have more of a personal connection with Yuna than they would have had if her coach had been Tarasova, for example.

if anything, she got too much attention, look at the press conference when she announced her retirement https://youtu.be/tgBGFoVMuO4?t=361, all japanese media was there. I feel a little bad when a skater announce her/his retirement on facebook and receive 5 answers :( , Japan is another World for figure skating.

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
I could have sworn I read somewhere that Hanyu doesn't have an agent, which, if true, seems crazy for a celebrity of his status. I wonder how much it's held him back financially. His estimated net worth is consistently listed at "only" $2 million (which doesn't add up right in my mind for the fees he charges). Seems paltry considering that before the Olympics he was the 2nd most popular athlete in Japan. I'm guessing he's #1 now, especially since Nishikori hasn't really accomplished much.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
true, considering the popularity of the skaters, I think only Mao and Yuzuru could be close to the amount of money that Yuna got.

Sorry...... I must mention Plushenko again..:biggrin: According to the Russian Forbes Plushenko earned $20 million 2006- 2017. The Forbes published the newest list in Auguste 2017. But he was a star before 2006 and his income was high in this year too. He advertised many things but the most important is the Mercedes Benz.

Barb

Record Breaker
Sorry...... I must mention Plushenko again..:biggrin: According to the Russian Forbes Plushenko earned $20 million 2006- 2017. The Forbes published the newest list in Auguste 2017. But he was a star before 2006 and his income was high in this year too. He advertised many things but the most important is the Mercedes Benz.

omg, it's true, I follow him on instagram, so I'm aware of his lifestyle :cool14:

mrrice

Record Breaker

Yep!!!!! He looks so cool in this commercial........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RR4rSWpM8

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Interestingly i would say Marin Honda is the current Japanese lady with the most sponsors with Japan airlines, Lotte (Ghana chocolates) and Kosé being the bigger ones.

Daisuke Takahashi did commercials for Coca Cola (and other coca cola products like some water) during the olympics. I thought it was interesting he was chosen instead of a current athlete.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She has a few. Nothing too big I think. Nulo Pet Food is one and Mayfield Toyoto gave her a car after the Olympics. I think another one is Bliss Yoga Spa. There may be a couple more.

My uncle owns The Berg Water Company, a luxury brand of bottled water based out of Mount Pearl, Newfoundland. I’ve been telling him for years to sponsor Kaetlyn. :laugh:

Surprisingly enough, many of their biggest customers are from Saudi Arabia.

millie

Medalist
My uncle owns The Berg Water Company, a luxury brand of bottled water based out of Mount Pearl, Newfoundland. I’ve been telling him for years to sponsor Kaetlyn. :laugh:

Surprisingly enough, many of their biggest customers are from Saudi Arabia.

Hey, are you a Newfie too?

millie

Medalist
The major sponsors for Kaetlyn Osmond.....Toyota, Mosaic Energy...oil and gas resources, Pro Pets, Cassels Brock...Corporate Law Firm. Also Oasis Juice is a major sponsor. There a few major sponsors waiting for her to get back from Japan..She hasn’t been back to Canada since her World Championship title. She is also doing a number of ice shows in Newfoundland, Stars on
Ice Japan and Stars on Ice Canada.

thedude

On the Ice
You can't compare Nathan Chen to Tiger Woods, they're not remotely in the same universe. Although golf is rapidly declining in popularity in the USA right now . Nathan more or less blew his chance when he fell so many times. His world title didn't make a blip in the US sports market. The world championship was barely televised. Rippon probably positioned himself to crossover into the entertainment industry ala lipinsky/weir. Nagasu might have joined him if she didn't go off the rails her last interview.

Please take any Forbes number with a grain of salt the size of China. The numbers are essentially made up to sell magazines.

Japanese are subsidizing the figure skating industry. Isn't that why so many of the top skaters are in Japan for gala events?

rnois13

On the Ice
Interestingly i would say Marin Honda is the current Japanese lady with the most sponsors with Japan airlines, Lotte (Ghana chocolates) and Kosé being the bigger ones.
She made about 5 CMs last year. She became the 'new face' of 3 companies, I wonder how determined those contracts are given that she didn't do very well last season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm just still trying to figure out who Ashley Taylor is and what mysterious SOI tour has signed Max.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Sui/Han have Visa and some Chinese endorsements as well as Beats by Dre, which was really awesome because they were featured in commercials alongside people like Shaun White and Lindsey Vonn, who are bigger media stars than any figure skaters. :luv17:

Oooo I'd like to see that one! I didn't see it on youtube :(

frida80

Record Breaker
You can't compare Nathan Chen to Tiger Woods, they're not remotely in the same universe. Although golf is rapidly declining in popularity in the USA right now . Nathan more or less blew his chance when he fell so many times. His world title didn't make a blip in the US sports market. The world championship was barely televised. Rippon probably positioned himself to crossover into the entertainment industry ala lipinsky/weir. Nagasu might have joined him if she didn't go off the rails her last interview.

Please take any Forbes number with a grain of salt the size of China. The numbers are essentially made up to sell magazines.

Japanese are subsidizing the figure skating industry. Isn't that why so many of the top skaters are in Japan for gala events?

I wasn’t comparing Nathan to Tiger, I was merely pointing out that the “glamour” of the sport does not determine how many endorsements you get. Golf is considered boring to many, but Tiger Woods still got endorsements in spite of it.

Also, I don’t think Nathan blew his chance. Truth be told, he may get better offers in Beijing. This times he only had a few victories to bring to the bargaining table. If he comes with a stronger record in 2022, he’ll be able to negotiate for more money. Furthermore, he’s not good at interviewing at this point. He’s still pretty shy and uncomfortable with it. In four years, maybe he’ll be better at engaging the audience, using humor, and showing his personality more. That will help his post olympic offers. He also seems to have crossover appeal already. With the right promotion, he could even bring over fans from other sports. From a marketing standpoint, he’s still a fine candidate. Especially since NBC doesn’t really have stars to promote from figure skating right now.

Don’t get olympic fame confused with endorsements. Nathan will be fine with endorsements because he wins and he’s marketable.

We’ll see about Adam. Olympic popularity only last so long. TV may be the best shot for him. But there are only so many opportunities that he can take advantage of. But he’s very charismatic. I hope he can capitalize on that.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hey, are you a Newfie too?

I certainly am. :biggrin: I was born there, but we left for Ontario in 1986 when I was three years old, due to the recession and its aftermath on the fishing and oil industries. My mom was born and bred there, dad was just an honourary Newfie. They met when he was working there in the late 70s. My 97 year old Nanny is still there, living in the house she raised her ten kids in. Lots of aunts and uncles and cousins and other extended family members are all over the rock. My aunt is a catholic nun in a small parish near St. Marys, she knows a lot of Kaetlyn’s kin, including her grandparents.

:eek:topic: Fun fact: my father was a diver for Mobil Oil and worked on the Ocean Ranger. It was his week off when disaster struck and the entire rig sunk, killing all on board. :dbana: It’s actually a miracle that I even exist, that man has cheated death more times than a cat with nine lives.