Patrick Chan: "I’m happy" | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan: "I’m happy"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canadian Patrick Chan repeated as Skate Canada champion with a long program, which despite some problems – including two doubled jumps – featured his first attempt at the quadruple Salchow. Despite falling on the trick, he scored 176.39 in the free skate for a total competition score of 266.95.

The program was layered with soulful choreography and emotive transitions to music entitled “A Journey,” composed by friend and pairs skater, Eric Radford.
“I’m happy,” said the 2014 Olympic silver medalist. “My goal was to at least rotate the quad Sal no matter how I felt going into it. Maybe I didn’t plan on being as tired. That one challenge when you’re adding another quad is just experiencing the extra fatigue. So, I started dying a little bit…the legs started getting heavier at the end of the program, but it’s a good start to the season.”
More

What's your take on the men's event in Mississauga?

Biellmann

Match Penalty
Good for you

That one challenge when you’re adding another quad is just experiencing the extra fatigue. So, I started dying a little bit…the legs started getting heavier at the end of the program, but it’s a good start to the season.”

Poor Patrick. He is getting old....

brightphoton

Medalist
What's the state of American men's skating? I knew that the American men aren't in their heyday but I was a little surprised to see that Ross Miner and Grant Hochstein got last place and second to last place at Skate Canada. Is that the typical skating we can expect from those two, or were they both having an off day? Are they making lots of errors, are their basic skating not good enough, are they not as technically proficient, are they injured, etc?

Can I also get a mini update on the rest of the American men?

Jason Brown - one of the American stars
Adam Rippon - one of the American stars
Joshua Farris - retired due to concussions
Ross Miner - ?
Grant Hochstein - ?
Max Aaron - has he become more artistic?
Richard Dornbush - ?
Nathan Chen - ?
Vincent Zhou - is he still injured?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The program was layered with soulful choreography and emotive transitions to music entitled “A Journey,” composed by friend and pairs skater, Eric Radford....

Congratulations to Patrick :dance2:. And to Eric :).

Also to Yuzuru and Kevin.

... I was a little surprised to see that Ross Miner and Grant Hochstein got last place and second to last place at Skate Canada. ...

... Max Aaron - has he become more artistic? ...

Hugs to Ross :ghug: and Grant :ghug:. An unfortunate coincidence that errors from both caused low placements.
Wishing them better luck at their next GPs (Cup of China and NHK, respectively).

Yes, Max's artistry has been improving :yes:. A work in progress :cool: with more improvement to come, I hope and believe.
Good luck to Max at Rostelecom (and Cup of China) :yay:.

(The State of the U.S. Men thread seems like a more apt place to discuss the state of American men's skating and to go over all the individual U.S. men.)

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
What's the state of American men's skating? I knew that the American men aren't in their heyday but I was a little surprised to see that Ross Miner and Grant Hochstein got last place and second to last place at Skate Canada. Is that the typical skating we can expect from those two, or were they both having an off day? Are they making lots of errors, are their basic skating not good enough, are they not as technically proficient, are they injured, etc?

Can I also get a mini update on the rest of the American men?

Jason Brown - one of the American stars
Adam Rippon - one of the American stars
Joshua Farris - retired due to concussions
Ross Miner - ?
Grant Hochstein - ?
Max Aaron - has he become more artistic?
Richard Dornbush - ?
Nathan Chen - ?
Vincent Zhou - is he still injured?

American men are, actually, in a bit of a heyday. There is a thread entitled "State of U.S. Men 2016-2017." Check that out. :biggrin: