Pattern 99 the right choice? | Golden Skate

Pattern 99 the right choice?

zjamic

Rinkside
Hi all! I guess I'm asking a version of the age old question: Which blade should I go with? (sorry in advance!)

I've been to my local skate tech and asked her opinion on which blade to get after my coach gave her opinion, however, the skate tech is new to the area and seemed like she wasn't sure on her decision - she even stated to me that she wasn't sure and wasn't too knowledgeable (yikes). Thankfully, she called a John Wilson representative to get more detail regarding the JW Pattern 99 and JW Gold Seal for me with the information I gave her regarding my skills and preferences. The information she gave back to me was that the Pattern 99 would be the ideal choice for me; occasionally falling off the heel/back end of the blade landing jumps, according the JW representative, would be mended by the 99's. I went into the store a few days ago to look at the blades in person and they scared me! Those picks are huge! Let's just say that I would like some more input regarding the scary 99's before buying them (or else I'll just go with the less scary Gold Seals)

Currently, I have the MK Professionals. They weren't/aren't a bad blade, but I'm not a huge fan of the 7" rocker like my coach is - she likes her MK Gold Stars. I prefer the stability and power that an 8" rocker gives, or at least that is what I feel between my old 8" blades to the new(er) 7" blades. I can't remember what blade I had before the Professionals, but they seemed to have bigger toepicks than the Professionals, as well as being 8" rockers (My guess is probably an Ultima blade because I had gotten a boot/blade package for my first skates that were Jacksons). Let's just say that since switching blades I have become really good friends with the ice! I am working (well was :( working) on doubles with a triple toe-loop, but since switching I have psyched myself out of jumps due to the instability that the Professionals give me; I still try to do all my doubles jumps, but I typically end up on my butt or side. Literally, first few days with Professionals on the ice I felt like a baby horse or deer!

My concerns regarding the 99's is that they look scary due to the toepicks, said toepicks are straight-cut, and they don't look like good blades for spinning due to how flat they appear. In all my time skating, I have always had cross-cute toepicks. So my knowledge regarding the pros and cons of straight-cut toepicks is zero. With how big the toepicks are I am afraid of messing up spins because I'm not the strongest of spinner (I admit I am more of a jumper, though my knee and hip don't always agree). Also, I have trolled around GoldenSkate looking at previously asked questions (this is why I am so sorry for asking a similar question) regarding the 99's and someone said that the tail of the 99's is smaller than the Gold Seal, so, wouldn't I rock off the back end of the blade more?

Thank you for any help or suggestion!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hmm...not that I'm an expert - I'm working on Basic 5/6 skills and I skate on MK Pros - but based on what I know about the blades in question and what you state about your preferences, it really sounds to me like the Gold Seal is more what you're looking for.

I think the best person on the forums here to weigh in is Ic3Rabbit - she's an elite/pro level skater and has very informed opinions on higher-level blades.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all! I guess I'm asking a version of the age old question: Which blade should I go with? (sorry in advance!)

I've been to my local skate tech and asked her opinion on which blade to get after my coach gave her opinion, however, the skate tech is new to the area and seemed like she wasn't sure on her decision - she even stated to me that she wasn't sure and wasn't too knowledgeable (yikes). Thankfully, she called a John Wilson representative to get more detail regarding the JW Pattern 99 and JW Gold Seal for me with the information I gave her regarding my skills and preferences. The information she gave back to me was that the Pattern 99 would be the ideal choice for me; occasionally falling off the heel/back end of the blade landing jumps, according the JW representative, would be mended by the 99's. I went into the store a few days ago to look at the blades in person and they scared me! Those picks are huge! Let's just say that I would like some more input regarding the scary 99's before buying them (or else I'll just go with the less scary Gold Seals)

Currently, I have the MK Professionals. They weren't/aren't a bad blade, but I'm not a huge fan of the 7" rocker like my coach is - she likes her MK Gold Stars. I prefer the stability and power that an 8" rocker gives, or at least that is what I feel between my old 8" blades to the new(er) 7" blades. I can't remember what blade I had before the Professionals, but they seemed to have bigger toepicks than the Professionals, as well as being 8" rockers (My guess is probably an Ultima blade because I had gotten a boot/blade package for my first skates that were Jacksons). Let's just say that since switching blades I have become really good friends with the ice! I am working (well was :( working) on doubles with a triple toe-loop, but since switching I have psyched myself out of jumps due to the instability that the Professionals give me; I still try to do all my doubles jumps, but I typically end up on my butt or side. Literally, first few days with Professionals on the ice I felt like a baby horse or deer!

My concerns regarding the 99's is that they look scary due to the toepicks,
said toepicks are straight-cut, and they don't look like good blades for spinning due to how flat they appear. In all my time skating, I have always had cross-cute toepicks. So my knowledge regarding the pros and cons of straight-cut toepicks is zero. With how big the toepicks are I am afraid of messing up spins because I'm not the strongest of spinner (I admit I am more of a jumper, though my knee and hip don't always agree). Also, I have trolled around GoldenSkate looking at previously asked questions (this is why I am so sorry for asking a similar question) regarding the 99's and someone said that the tail of the 99's is smaller than the Gold Seal, so, wouldn't I rock off the back end of the blade more?

Thank you for any help or suggestion!

Hi. I'm going to lay out both top JW blades for you and then let you decide what you think is best for you.
It was probably my post that you read about the P99's and I never said that the tail is shorter/smaller than the Gold Seal, I said that it's tapered, and there is a version of the Gold Seal that has that as well, it cuts down on friction with the ice.

That said, unless you want explosive jumps and think you can deal with the bottom two picks on the P99 that allow for that and closeness to the ice (they really aren't that scary), then you are going to probably want the Gold Seal. Might I add that the P99 has caused me no issues with my spins whatsoever and I actually love them more than Gold Seal (at this point, I've probably worn/tried all top blades for at least a short period of time and I've stuck with the 99s the longest).

I can't tell you very much about the Gold Star that your coach recommended because after wearing the Phantom for awhile I switched to JW blades and have stayed, I'm not a fan of 7ft rockers.

Good luck! :)