Grishuk/Platov vs. Usova/Zhulin vs. Torvill/Dean
Baiul vs. Kerrigan

1994 Worlds
Sato vs. Bonaly

1995 Worlds
Bobek vs. Kwan

1996 Worlds
Kwan vs. Chen Lu

1996/1997 Champions Series Final (now the Grand Prix)
Bourne/Kraatz vs. Krylova/Ovsyannikov

1998 Olympics
Lipinski vs. Kwan

2001 Worlds
Sale/Pelletier vs. Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze

2002 Olympics
Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze vs. Sale/Pelletier
Drobiazko/Vanagas vs. Bourne/Kraatz vs. Fusar-poli/Margaglio (don't recall an uproar over this, but I read that Drobiazko/Vanagas filed a complaint because the 2 teams ahead of them fell)

2009 Worlds
Lysacek vs. Chan

2010 Olympics
Lysacek vs. Plushenko vs. Takahashi

2012 Worlds
Chan vs. Takahashi

2013 Worlds
Chan vs. Ten

2014 Olympics
Sotnikova vs. Kim vs. Kostner

2014 Worlds
Hanyu vs. Machida
Pechalat/Bourzat vs Weaver/Poje vs Cappellini/Lanotte

2018 Olympics
Zagitova vs. Medvedeva

2018 US Men's Olympic Team - pick 2. I assume no one's arguing with choosing Chen
Zhou vs. Miner vs. Rippon

Relevant: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?69597-Your-podiums-since-IJS-started

1994 Olympics
Baiul vs. Kerrigan

1994 Worlds
Sato vs. Bonaly

This one is just no comparison. The skating skills and performance alone from Sato seal it.

1998 Olympics
Lipinski vs. Kwan

I just don't see Lipinski as bereft of artistry as most do. Definitely immature, but not awful, easily better than either Zag or Med. Overall, I guess Lipinski put up a very convincing technical skate in the free, and gave a charming performance, where Kwan didn't deliver in the way she usually did. So the results made sense, and I'm leaving it at that. I just don't think Lipinski was so bad that she clearly should have lost.

2010 Olympics

2012 Worlds
Chan vs. Takahashi

2013 Worlds
Chan vs. Ten

2014 Olympics
Sotnikova vs. Kim

2014 Worlds
Hanyu vs. Machida

2018 Olympics
Zagitova vs. Medvedeva

2018 US Men's Olympic Team - pick 2. I assume no one's arguing with choosing Chen

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
First, these kinds of threads often become fan wars... i am not sure if that's really a good idea? Mods can look into it closely, perhaps people can remain cold hearted and level headed about this one...

All I will contribute with is :

I don't think there is much controversy about 2012 worlds... when considering Chan had a lead in the SP and despite the waxel at the end, landed two gorgeous quad toes + a triple axel in his program. I love Dai, but that wasn't his to win... he finished 3rd in both segments of the competition . The margin in points is not that close either. Fans have discussed this one in the forums ad nauseam... but in reality, a good SP can bring enough momentum to give the edge in the LP... Look at Yuzu's Sochi... withouth his lead in the LP, perhaps we would have had another Olympic Champion.

If you want to look at a tighter men competition, many have said Machida should have won over Hanyu in 2014... and there, the margin in points in minimal...

First, these kinds of threads often become fan wars... i am not sure if that's really a good idea? Mods can look into it closely, perhaps people can remain cold hearted and level headed about this one...

I tend to agree, given the title of "pick a winner". I will add, however, that the thread I linked in my previous post had everyone discussing results in a respectful way, and had useful debate. I hope this stays the same.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I tend to agree, given the title of "pick a winner". I will add, however, that the thread I linked in my previous post had everyone discussing results in a respectful way, and had useful debate. I hope this stays the same.

i see.. so this was discussed recently in here? I guess then that this thread is redundant ... anyways... as I said... i contributed my two cents and now it's time to call it a night ;)

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Pechalat/Bourzat vs Weaver/Poje vs Cappellini/Lanotte at Worlds 2014 was the closest call i can remember

LucyH

On the Ice
1994 Olympics
Gordeeva/Grinkovvs. Mishkutenok/Dmitriev
Urmanov vs. Stojko
Baiul vs. Kerrigan

1994 Worlds
Sato vs. Bonaly

1995 Worlds
Bobek vs. Kwan

1996 Worlds
Kwan vs. Chen Lu

1998 Olympics
Lipinski vs. Kwan

2001 Worlds

2002 Olympics
Drobiazko/Vanagas vs. Bourne/Kraatz vs. Fusar-poli/Margaglio (don't recall an uproar over this, but I read that Drobiazko/Vanagas filed a complaint because the 2 teams ahead of them fell)

2010 Olympics

2012 Worlds
Chan vs. Takahashi

2013 Worlds
Chan vs. Ten

2014 Olympics
Sotnikova vs. Kim

2014 Worlds
Hanyu vs. Machida

2018 Olympics
Zagitova vs. Medvedeva

Did not choose ones that I didn't really have an opinion on.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
S/M vs. S/H was really close too at this years' Olympics. Dunno if it was controversial, though. :think: :confused2:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Pick a winner. If anyone wants to add any I'll edit this post

1994 Olympics
Gordeeva/Grinkov vs. Mishkutenok/Dmitriev
Urmanov vs. Stojko
Baiul vs. Kerrigan

1994 Worlds
Sato vs. Bonaly

1995 Worlds
Bobek vs. Kwan

1996 Worlds
Kwan vs. Chen Lu

1998 Olympics
Lipinski vs. Kwan

2001 Worlds

2002 Olympics

2010 Olympics

2012 Worlds
Chan vs. Takahashi

2013 Worlds
Chan vs. Ten

2014 Olympics
Sotnikova vs. Kim (although, really, Kostner was my pick and should be added, IMO)

2014 Worlds
Hanyu vs. Machida

2018 Olympics
Zagitova vs. Medvedeva

ragdoll

On the Ice
Fun thread and something to do for a while. My winners are typed in upper case

94 Olympics:
Gordeeva/Grinkov vs MISHKUTENOK/DMITRIEV
URMANOV vs Stojko
BAIUL vs Kerrigan
GRISCHUK/PLATOV vs Usova/Zhulin vs Torvill/Dean

1994 Worlds:
SATO vs Bonaly

1995 Worlds
Bobek vs KWAN

1996 Worlds:
KWAN vs Chen Lu

1996/97 Champion Series Final:
Bourne/Kratz vs KRYLOVA/OVSIANNIKOV

1998 Olympics:
Lipinski vs KWAN

2001 Worlds:
Salé/Pelletier vs BEREZHNAYA/SIKHARULIDZE

2002 Olympics:
BEREZHNAYA/sIKHARULIDZE vs Salé/Pelletier
Drobiazko/Vanagas vs Bourne/Kratz vs FUSAR-POLI/MARGAGLIO

2010 Olympics:
Lysacek vs PLUSHENKO vs Takahashi

2012 Worlds:
Chan vs Takahashi - don't remember what I thought

2013 Worlds:
Chan vs TEN

2014 Olympics:
SOTNIKOVA vs Kim

2014 Worlds:
HANYU vs Machida
PECHALAT/BOURZAT vs Weaver/Poje vs Capellini/Lanotte

2018 Olympics:
ZAGITOVA vs Medvedeva

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The closest that I remember was the Men's 1988 Gold medal. Brian Boitano won by 1 ordinal, I believe.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
1994 Olympics
Gordeeva/Grinkov vs. Mishkutenok/Dmitriev (I did a sorta mock-score of this under IJS- with some adjustments for rules and levels- and G/G came out on top. Under 6.0 it's a wash, though; I might have gone with M/D for slightly better tech)
Urmanov vs. Stojko
Baiul vs. Kerrigan (Barely; I prefer Baiul but wouldn't be upset at a flipped result)

1994 Worlds
Sato vs. Bonaly (there was such a vast gulf between them in skating skills that it'd be worth at least three triples to me. I think Bonaly was the better performer, though.)

1995 Worlds
Bobek vs. Kwan (meh)

1996 Worlds
Kwan vs. Chen Lu (basically the 7th triple made the difference; I loved Kwan's Romanza but I'm really not as enamored with Salome as some people are.)

1998 Olympics
Lipinski vs. Kwan (I just don't think that the artistry was such a big difference here; Lipinski was a bit immature but she put on a good performance and the program was choreographed well. Kwan seemed flat and tentative to me; she really didn't bring her usual interpretative and performance chops. Lipinski clearly wins the tech on top of it, so she should get the title.)

2001 Worlds

2002 Olympics

2010 Olympics

2012 Worlds
Chan vs. Takahashi (but I'm pretty on the fence about this one, because I do see an argument for Chan)

2013 Worlds
Chan vs. Ten (his free skate should have been more than enough to overcome the short program deficit, even with his weaker SS and TR)

2014 Olympics
Sotnikova vs. Kim

2014 Worlds
Hanyu vs. Machida (baaaarely. I pretty much agree with the razor-thin margin in the real event; this could've gone either way.)
Pechalat/Bourzat vs Weaver/Poje vs Cappellini/Lanotte (tbh there's a non-zero chance that this is just me feeling bad for P/B)

2018 Olympics
Zagitova vs. Medvedeva (I'd have given Med a bigger PCS cushion vs Zagitova despite scoring them both much lower)

2018 US Men's Olympic Team - pick 2. I assume no one's arguing with choosing Chen (nope, no arguments)
Zhou vs. Miner vs. Rippon (no disagreements when considering USFSA's criteria; I was really surprised that other people didn't think the selection was straightforward.)

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
The closest that I remember was the Men's 1988 Gold medal. Brian Boitano won by 1 ordinal, I believe.

I just rewatched these programs (FS) last night. Even with the differences in tech (which really weren't that huge), I would have had Orser as the winner of the FS. His program was miles ahead of Boitano's. Boitano didn't do much more than awkward arm movements, he didn't seem to connect with the audience, and it seemed like he did hundreds of crossovers. Orser had a true program, with much more happening between elements (as the commentators noted as well).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Pick a winner. If anyone wants to add any I'll edit this post
1988 Olympics
Boitano vs. Orser

1994 Olympics
Gordeeva/Grinkov vs. Mishkutenok/Dmitriev
Urmanov vs. Stojko
Baiul vs. Kerrigan

1994 Worlds
Sato vs. Bonaly

1995 Worlds
Bobek vs. Kwan

1996 Worlds
Kwan vs. Chen Lu

1998 Olympics
Lipinski vs. Kwan

2001 Worlds

2002 Olympics

2010 Olympics

2012 Worlds
Chan vs. Takahashi

2013 Worlds
Chan vs. Ten

2014 Olympics

2014 Worlds
Hanyu vs. Machida

2018 Olympics
Zagitova vs. Medvedeva

To each their own. I am not sure how Takahashi got in the 2010 men's oly race. Or Kostner in 2014. I think there are tonnes of questionable calls for medals but I won't remember or know them all.

I would add Witt and Manley for sure in 1988 Olympics There were so many reasons for Witt to be ranked lower in the free skate ie Ito! or that she should have been lower and closer to Manley in the school figure that would give Manley the gold.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
For the Ladies only
1994 Olympics
Baiul vs. Kerrigan
: IMO Baiul wasn't penalized enough for the jarring two-foot landing in SP, so I'm not completely convinced as to whether she deserved 2nd in the OP in the first place. Her LP I found far below what she was able to produce on the ice artistically, oozing with elegance and character as she was as a skater. Hence I think Kerrigan, with her 3-3, clean(er) landings, and legitimate jump combinations deserved the gold overall.

1994 Worlds
Sato vs. Bonaly
: Sato was better in terms of the whole packaging, especially with Bonaly not being error-free in her jumps (which was probably her only forte). IMO the latter had a better claim to gold in 1993.

1995 Worlds
Bobek vs. Kwan

1996 Worlds
Kwan vs. Chen Lu
: The only event the result of which I think could have gone either way. Indeed Chen had more polished artistry, but Kwan was also technically strong and commanded the ice with her charisma.

1998 Olympics
Lipinski vs. Kwan
: Had Kwan skated like she did at Nationals, she should have won the gold. In Nagano, she was visibly slower and did not skate in quite the same consonance with the flow of music as she did in the prior event. Lipinski skated with abandon (not to mention 3Lo-3Lo and 3T-1Lo-3S late in the program), and her programs really facilitated the type of artistry she was capable of (vitality, zest, and sense of freedom), with each choreographic movement accentuating the theme of the music very well.

2014 Olympics
: Deduction for Sotnikova's flutz, bigger gap in PCS (certainly it should have been much more than 0.43 in SP and LP combined), and Kim's Stsq4 would do it. As for Kostner, she fought for too many landings on jumps in the 2nd half despite having watered down the choreography from the 2013 version. And although she did land 7 triples, her jump BV in LP (42.35) was lower than Kim's (42.79)

2018 Olympics
Zagitova vs. Medvedeva
: Pretty much agree with what the protocol states, except I would dock a few points from Zagitova's PCS and Medvedeva's TES to more or less the same extent.