Peizerat & Candeloro for Joint President of the French Federation of Ice Sports? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Peizerat & Candeloro for Joint President of the French Federation of Ice Sports?

Tangoer

Spectator
I don't know much (or really anything) about french skating. What has the current president been doing that us skating fans dislike him this much? G & C both are skaters I like but joint running may not be the best idea...

I don't know much (or really anything) about french skating. What has the current president been doing that us skating fans dislike him this much? G & C both are skaters I like but joint running may not be the best idea...

The knock on the president of the French Skating Federation, Didier Gailhaguet, is that he runs the federation like his own little private fiefdom. He is accused of applying a Machiavellian approach to figure skating, rewarding sycophants, beheading enemies, and micromanaging skaters' careers. He is one of the most politically able of federations heads, always seeming to pop up when deals are going down. (Candeloro once said of Gailhaguet, "Of course he makes deals. No French skater would ever win a medal without it.")

Gailhaguet was suspended from all ISU events for three years for his alleged role in the 2002 Olympic pairs judging scandal.

Ven

Match Penalty
I wonder if Dids traded French support for the Russians at Sochi in exchange for the Russians supporting him to succeed Cinquanta?

These people all need to go. Either that, or we can hear at 2018 Olympics how the leader of the sport was suspended for the 2002 SLC scandal. That should do wonders for figure skating's PR.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist

It's rumored that when Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron tried to move clubs, the French federation straight up refused to register their request. It's said he didn't even tell Gabriella and Guillaume what was going on.
It's also rumored he threatened to cut funding for Nathalie and Fabian if they didn't go to Igor, for whatever reason. We all know they did in the end, but still.

I find him increasingly intolerable and commend everyone on the French team for even managing to get anything done, because that fed is run by a nutcase.

Mattieu

Medalist
It's rumored that when Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron tried to move clubs, the French federation straight up refused to register their request. It's said he didn't even tell Gabriella and Guillaume what was going on.
It's also rumored he threatened to cut funding for Nathalie and Fabian if they didn't go to Igor, for whatever reason. We all know they did in the end, but still.

I find him increasingly intolerable and commend everyone on the French team for even managing to get anything done, because that fed is run by a nutcase.

Worse still, when Papadakis/Cizeron refused to leave Lyon, he cut all of their funding. They have zero funding from the French Federation :eek:
How can the only decent ice dance couple left in France be treated this way?

Tangoer

Spectator
Worse still, when Papadakis/Cizeron refused to leave Lyon, he cut all of their funding. They have zero funding from the French Federation :eek:
How can the only decent ice dance couple left in France be treated this way?

oh man, I hope they get him out! I cant believe someone who was involved in the 2002 scandal/suspended is back in a power of position. I think skating just loves drama too much sometimes that they inflict pain on themselves. I hope they can overthrow him and that he gets nowhere near ISU presidency....:slink:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I remember a Japanese journalist was touched by D G's compassionate gesture of offering up France's 2012 Worlds spot to the devastated Japan and skating fans just didn't buy it and figured he was up to something. Sure enough he was coveting the prized pre-Olympic Worlds 2013 which of course Canada did not give up and hand over to France.

What happened? I know nothing about this.

Not long after the tsunami happened and the futur was still unknown, Guaillaguet graciously offered to give 2012 Worlds to Japan and get instead 2013 Worlds for Nice. London already had won 2013 Worlds' bid at that point. Useless to say, Skate Canada was quick to answer "No way !"

Alba

Record Breaker
Not long after the tsunami happened and the futur was still unknown, Guaillaguet graciously offered to give 2012 Worlds to Japan and get instead 2013 Worlds for Nice. London already had won 2013 Worlds' bid at that point. Useless to say, Skate Canada was quick to answer "No way !"

I didn't know this.
Oh Didier, what a piece of work you are. :laugh: