Philippines Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Philippines Figure Skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh, she really is a beautiful woman. when Sofia switched to Philippines, I wrote here somewhere that she was the best transfer of the season. I still think so, although at the time I thought the Fed had a good eye. but why does her mom (uh, it's not good)... so why does Precious Tongkoso much influence? (I'm not saying it's bad, I don't know the conditions)
I'm not sure what you mean by so much influence? Influence over what country her daughter skated for? She is the nicest parent by far I have ever met in figure skating. If you're talking about her naming me Team Mom, that's not really a thing. Too bad or maybe I could get credentials. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Marirue

On the Ice
I'm not sure what you mean by so much influence? Influence over what country her daughter skated for? She is the nicest parent by far I have ever met in figure skating. If you're talking about her naming me Team Mom, that's not really a thing. Too bad or maybe I could get credentials. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Tbh that person don't have a certain clue about whatever reason why Sofia wanted to skate for the Philippines which she is in fact a Filipino thru her mother under the 1987 Constitution Article IV, Section 1 one of it is thru Filipino parents who are citizens of the Philippines. If she skate for the US, she might have a hard time to get into the team which it does not have any guarantees or whatsoever although that she have a district style compared to most of her peers.

Marirue

On the Ice
why Estonia?
I didn't mean to be sarcastic, just a little ironic. I'm sorry if I hurt you. in my country, Hungary, sport is a "priority industrial sector", with generous state support (okay, there is no money for figure skating), national anthem, ethnic affiliation, splendor, brilliance, everything. but this scientific, genetic approach is completely new to me. we Hungarians are good at everything simply because we are geniuses. ancestral talents. well, that's sarcasm
Because they don't accept foreign (as in non-Estonian athletes) skaters when it comes to singles skaters (in Pairs and Ice Dance at least one partner is half Filipino while the other is a foreigner to satisfy the ISU's rules on paired events) which it is not only practiced by the PHSU but also the Philippine Olympic Community. Your previous comments simply come off as clueless if not foolish.

all my respect goes to Lucy Lim because she reached out to KSU 2 years ago and argued smartly and persuasively that Korea needs a Hannah Lim / Ye Quan team. I'm not an enemy of moms. they recently overthrew the horribly cocky, arrogant Gurgen Vardanjan in Hungary. respect
That's the problem with the KSU and not on her since Hannah Lim/Ye Quan fulfill the ISU rules on Pairs and Ice Dancers which they can compete for one of the partner's home country despite they compete for Canada in the past and her partner is ethically Chinese.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Because they don't accept foreign (as in non-Estonian athletes) skaters when it comes to singles skaters (in Pairs and Ice Dance at least one partner is half Filipino while the other is a foreigner to satisfy the ISU's rules on paired events) which it is not only practiced by the PHSU but also the Philippine Olympic Community. Your previous comments simply come off as clueless if not foolish.

That's the problem with the KSU and not on her since Hannah Lim/Ye Quan fulfill the ISU rules on Pairs and Ice Dancers which they can compete for one of the partner's home country despite they compete for Canada in the past and her partner is ethically Chinese.
Well, Ye was born in Iceland :) so he is Icelandic, Chinese, Canadian, speaks French and represents Korea :)

Marirue

On the Ice
Well, Ye was born in Iceland :) so he is Icelandic, Chinese, Canadian, speaks French and represents Korea :)
I know, it's through Hannah which he can represent Korea. That person need to do their homework why Sofia decided to represent the Philippines which covered by the laws of PH and not to mention PHSU is picking up the pieces from the insanity from the 2 previous PHSU presidents has done.

fehervari

On the Ice
I'm sorry, I made a big mistake because the huge self-irony was not clear in my "Hungarian genius" post. on the other hand. as long as you can't tell the difference between "representing Canada" and "representing Quebec" and as long as you mistake Estonia for - probably - Georgia, don't call anyone fool. thank you

Marirue

On the Ice
I'm sorry, I made a big mistake because the huge self-irony was not clear in my "Hungarian genius" post. on the other hand. as long as you can't tell the difference between "representing Canada" and "representing Quebec" and as long as you mistake Estonia for - probably - Georgia, don't call anyone fool. thank you.
What is my mistake about Estonia? I'm using that country because we are talking about Sofia's background and you've become utterly suspicious about her mom who is a Filipina by blood for something not nice.

You've even said about the qualifications pertaining Filipino athletes based on the Philippine Constitution as a joke which I find it completely baffling what kind of drink are you concocting with.

We are trying to promote the sport in the Philippines starting all over since the country shot itself by the foot big time with Michael Martinez.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tbh that person don't have a certain clue about whatever reason why Sofia wanted to skate for the Philippines which she is in fact a Filipino thru her mother under the 1987 Constitution Article IV, Section 1 one of it is thru Filipino parents who are citizens of the Philippines. If she skate for the US, she might have a hard time to get into the team which it does not have any guarantees or whatsoever although that she have a district style compared to most of her peers.
I think it was a very good decision on her part. She's a beautiful skater.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
What happened to Martinez? I thought he was forced to coach in the Philippines to repay the debt of gratitude. Haven't kept in touch with the Philippine skating development.

Good that they now have a National Devt Program. However, they need to work harder in developing their bench, which I think is too shallow.

I know of a couple of US skaters (junior-level) that is considering going to the Philippines, but I think the Federation only supports 50% of the juniors' expenses. With that skater now in the US International Skating Pool, that kind of support was not enough to entice the family to switch. I know one was supposed to compete at the Philippine nationals, but they announced the date only around October and the nationals was going to be Dec 19-23, and the kid has already gone far in the US sectionals and qualified for the nationals.

I would love to see better skaters compete for the Philippines.

Marirue

On the Ice
What happened to Martinez? I thought he was forced to coach in the Philippines to repay the debt of gratitude. Haven't kept in touch with the Philippine skating development.

Good that they now have a National Devt Program. However, they need to work harder in developing their bench, which I think is too shallow.

I know of a couple of US skaters (junior-level) that is considering going to the Philippines, but I think the Federation only supports 50% of the juniors' expenses. With that skater now in the US International Skating Pool, that kind of support was not enough to entice the family to switch. I know one was supposed to compete at the Philippine nationals, but they announced the date only around October and the nationals was going to be Dec 19-23, and the kid has already gone far in the US sectionals and qualified for the nationals.

I would love to see better skaters compete for the Philippines.
The last time that I recall about Martinez that he was coaching the younger skaters at the Developing Pool (he also give private classes to adult skaters on the side based on his Instagram account) which I agree with that it needs specialized equipment that is suited for skaters. If I remember correctly that because of the pandemic that the PHSU figure skating coaching team are currently understaffed since a number of them change careers and some of them have passed away during at that time which the current PHSU president Nikki Cheng offered him a coaching job (part of it are to repay the debt of gratitude while another part that she needed his help) at the Developing Pool since his experience as an athlete along with his job experience from his coaching gig from the US (I remembered that he worked at the Pasadena Figure Skating Club at that time) proved to be vital.

I think of the one of the US skaters that you've mentioned would be Lorenzo Elano who is a Fil-Am (he is under the same boat with Chris Caluza and Isabella Gamez) which he did really well recently despite competing at the novice level last season. Another Filipino Figure Skater named Brandon Baldoz who is part of the PH National Developmental Pool is training in the US for quite some time and I could not confirm who is his current coach since his online activities in Instagram are pretty erratic which he also removes his posts in a whiplash.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sofia is competing in JGP Bangkok and Asian Open, also in Bangkok. I have asked about a stream for Asian Open but have not heard yet. I doubt it:confused:

Marirue

On the Ice
I'm kinda surprised that a young lady named Hayden won 1st place
at the 2023 Los Angeles Open Championships.

I wondered who are her coaches, will she able have a spot at the JGP?