Picking out boots without "over-booting"? | Golden Skate

Picking out boots without "over-booting"?

iceer

Spectator
Hello all. I'd like to ask some advice for picking out boots. I'm around 54kg and practicing waltz jump and scratch spin. My skates are very soft and too narrow, and cause me pain in my ankle and below my big toe. I didn't really know much about skates when I got them, I was just desperate to get out of the rentals (which gave me tendonitis for 2 weeks just from doing crossovers). Basically, I need new skates, but I'm still not really sure if I'll pick the right stiffness. It's confusing because the ratings are supposed to be for children? I see skates rated for doubles getting recommended to beginners, but I don't want to risk overbooting.
Thank you for any advice!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello iceer

I know you were planning to get fitted when you go to Istanbul on vacation and this really your best option.

What boots and blades do you have at the moment?

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello all. I'd like to ask some advice for picking out boots. I'm around 54kg and practicing waltz jump and scratch spin. My skates are very soft and too narrow, and cause me pain in my ankle and below my big toe. I didn't really know much about skates when I got them, I was just desperate to get out of the rentals (which gave me tendonitis for 2 weeks just from doing crossovers). Basically, I need new skates, but I'm still not really sure if I'll pick the right stiffness. It's confusing because the ratings are supposed to be for children? I see skates rated for doubles getting recommended to beginners, but I don't want to risk overbooting.
Thank you for any advice!
Hello! I may be able to help out a bit. If your feet are indeed wider than an average foot I would recommend Jackson as they're generally better at accommodating wider feet than the Italian companies. I would recommend starting at maybe a Jackson Freestyle. It has a stiffness rating of 45 (arbitrary units. The women's Supremes go up to 85) getting going the Freestyles would work but the next progression I would say would be a Debut with a stiffness of 50. But there's plenty of people starting with Freestyles that works very well learning the basics and progressing through the freestyle levels. Hope this helps! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello iceer

I know you were planning to get fitted when you go to Istanbul on vacation and this really your best option.

What boots and blades do you have at the moment?
Exactly what Wednesday said @iceer . I have given you info previously and you need to see that pro fitter in Istanbul and they will be able to guide you with boots/blades.

Jane17

Rinkside
Hello! I may be able to help out a bit. If your feet are indeed wider than an average foot I would recommend Jackson as they're generally better at accommodating wider feet than the Italian companies. I would recommend starting at maybe a Jackson Freestyle. It has a stiffness rating of 45 (arbitrary units. The women's Supremes go up to 85) getting going the Freestyles would work but the next progression I would say would be a Debut with a stiffness of 50. But there's plenty of people starting with Freestyles that works very well learning the basics and progressing through the freestyle levels. Hope this helps! :)
Maybe I can add that jackson Freestyle has aspire xp blades and for Debuts you can choose blades.