Piper Gilles has Stage One ovarian cancer | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles has Stage One ovarian cancer

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Since it's stage one and she had surgery hopefully they caught it all early! Best wishes to her and good for her for being a spokesperson now - I bet it will save lives as others are encouraged to get themselves checked.

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
What a terrifying diagnosis to receive, nevermind at 31! I’m shocked, poor Piper. :( Fortunately, it was detected early, so hopefully she’ll make a full recovery. It’s impressive that she had the mental and physical strength to compete at Worlds after what she went through. I can understand why their bronze feels like gold to them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
At the CBC broadcast of the GALA : Carol Lane was saying : young girls (and guys) should really listen to their bodies etc...

Of course, she meant more than just the appendix.... :( Now that we know more about it, Carol's words take a completely different meaning.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Now more than every I am really hoping Piper and Paul come back regardless of the Italians continuing and regardless of Chock and Bates maybe now aiming for Oly gold - P squared you have fought through somuch, you have not beeeen one of the "chosen" teams but you are so talented, so dedicated, so persevering i just hope they are rewarded with gold.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I was so shocked when I saw her post this morning, but I'm really glad to hear that they caught it early. Hopefully she will make a full recovery and have a string of good luck, both health-wise and otherwise, going forward! She has been through a lot for someone so young.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is so scary. Ovarian is one of the cancers they call the silent killer. But it is awesome they caught it at Stage 1.

This one hits home. Hard.

Indeed, ovarian cancer is the silent killer. When symptoms come, it is generally because the cancer has already spread to other organs.

My mother never drank, never smoked, walked for exercise daily, and regularly saw her "lady doctor" (her phrase; she was very genteel). She was not what one would consider "high risk." She was diagnosed at stage four, and she died within a year. It was not peaceful.

I wager the vast majority of GS members are women. I urge all of you to speak to your physicians about ovarian cancer screening. At least during the time of my mother's diagnosis, this screening was NOT a routine part of her "Lady Doctor" visits.

My sincerest prayers for Piper, and for all women facing this terrifying threat.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Poor Piper, but what a brave girl! Cracking on with life and skating despite shocking news. Also bravo to Paul for giving fantastic support.
It sounds like they caught the cancer early, which gives lots of hope that Piper will be fine. Love you, girl ❤️❤️❤️