PJ's Latest List-Top 10 Ladies Performances | Golden Skate

PJ's Latest List-Top 10 Ladies Performances

jcoates

Medalist
The cries of nationalism will ring from some about her top choice, but it's hard to argue with it given the circumstances.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/opinion/2011/12/pjs-top-10-performances-ladies.html

There are others I'd consider:

Yamaguchi's 1992 Olympic OP (as complete a skating performance as you will ever see.) and her 1992 Nationals LP.

Kwan's 1998 Nationals programs (both were exquisite).

Chen's 1996 Worlds LP.

Fleming's 1968 Nationals LP.

Ito at both 1988 Olympics and 1989 Worlds.

Witt's 1987 Worlds LP

Lipinski's Nagano LP

Beillmann's 1981 Worlds LP

Carol Heiss's comprehensive win at the 1960 Olympics.

Albright's courageous LP at the Cortina Olympics after suffering a horrific gash to her leg that her father repaired just before the event.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yeah, at first I was thinking "is she crazy with some of these pics?" but then I realized skating programs can touch us in so many different ways. I'm sure my list of top 10 would raise some eyebrows as well. What I did find interesting is that she chose Mao and Michelle's earlier programs as her favorites, before they matured artistically. I myself enjoyed Kwan's 1999-2001 programs far more that her Salome.

^ Hernando's Hideaway, 2002 exhibition. :cool:

Any time that you can sing Robert Frost's Stopping by Woods to skating music, that's got my vote.

Now if someone would just skate to The Yellow Rose of Texas so I can sing along with Emily Dickinson, Because I could not stop for death...."

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I actually cannot argue with any of her choices...

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I know it's pretty much impossible to make a list like this without a bunch of people going, "How could she not include <such-and-such>????"

But....how could she not include either of Kwan's 98 nationals programs???? :p

fscric

On the Ice
I know it's pretty much impossible to make a list like this without a bunch of people going, "How could she not include <such-and-such>????"

But....how could she not include either of Kwan's 98 nationals programs???? :p

I notice that of all her choices, only Janet Lynn's was from US National, so I guess her focus was on international competitions. But I agree, Michelle's 98 National programmes are divine.

Her choices all have some kind of emotional backstory; it is not intended to be an objective list of the most competent performances.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I really like her list, and her touching memories. How lucky is she to see what she has seen. I can't imagine too many of us were able to see Joannie skate through all the tears. FoG made me cry terribly, but that was nothing compared to trying to watch Joannie's SP. I don't know how she managed to not just roll up in a ball with Canada and the whole world rooting and praying she'd be alright. I can see why it is number 1 on her list. Only Katia Gordeeva's tribute was as gut wrenching to watch in all these years.

I wonder what Mao we will see when she returns to the ice, if she does. I know she will be a different skater.

macy

Record Breaker
i would have added Michelle's LP at 2004 nationals and Yuna Kim's LP at 2010 Olympics.

blue dog

Record Breaker
I am thankful that PJ put Karen Magnussen on her list. It made me dig up the performance to watch!

I want PJ to also do a list of Top Ten Choreographers. I know she'll have Lori Nichol on top (and deservedly so). One of the best things to come out of both US AND Canada (she was born in, and competed in the US).

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sad she would leave out Chen's performance at the 96 Worlds which many thought should have beaten Kwan's in fact, and most consider one of the most artistic skates of all time. Funny she counts Chen's performance at the 98 Olympics which was nowhere near as good.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am thankful that PJ put Karen Magnussen on her list. It made me dig up the performance to watch!

I want PJ to also do a list of Top Ten Choreographers. I know she'll have Lori Nichol on top (and deservedly so). One of the best things to come out of both US AND Canada (she was born in, and competed in the US).

you don't think Sandy would get the top spot? or David Wilson?

blue dog

Record Breaker
you don't think Sandy would get the top spot? or David Wilson?

I think her list will read something like this:

1. Nichol
2. Bezic
3. Wilson
4. Cranston
5. Burka
6. Bourne
7. McIntosh
8. Tarasova
9. Kawahara
10. Morozov

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
These are my top 10 ladies performances of all time:

1. Michelle Kwan 2000 Worlds LP
2. Midori Ito 1989 Worlds LP
3. MIdori Ito 1989 NHK LP
4. Michelle Kwan 1998 Nationals LP
5. Sandy Lenz 1980 Olympics LP
6. Janet Lynn 1973 Nationals LP
7. Yu Na Kim 2010 Olympics LP
8. Irina Slutskaya 2005 Worlds LP
9. Midori Ito 1994 Champions of Challenge LP
10. Kristi Yamaguchi 1994 Gold Championships TP

hitchem

Rinkside
Interesting that she has Salome above Hughes' Olympics LP. Wasn't that performance how she justified putting her in her top 10 anyway? And she still put Kwan's Salome above it? Yet she still thinks SH is a better skater than MK? PJ never makes any sense to me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

1. Nichol
2. Bezic
3. Wilson
4. Cranston
5. Burka
6. Bourne
7. McIntosh
8. Tarasova
9. Kawahara
10. Morozov

you don't have Kurt on the list?! For shame!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

1. Nichol
2. Bezic
3. Wilson
4. Cranston
5. Burka
6. Bourne
7. McIntosh
8. Tarasova
9. Kawahara
10. Morozov

She hates Morosov's choreography, generally. I don't think she knows who Kawahara is. Zoueva would be a top pick, however. I think Dean would sneak in somewhere as well.