Space between mounted blade and boot? | Golden Skate

Space between mounted blade and boot?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
IMG-9140.jpg
I had my new boots and blades professionally mounted, but it is only later when I got home (after getting the boots in another city) that I realize there is a pretty large gap between one of the mounted blades and the backside of the boot. Is this normal, or should I try to get it re-adjusted in another shop? I have yet to skate in these, just a little concerned for safety.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
How many screws are in there? Is it a permanent or temporary mount?
All four on the heel and 6 out of 8 on the ball. I hoped it was a temporary mount, for now, in case I need to make adjustments…

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
All four on the heel and 6 out of 8 on the ball. I hoped it was a temporary mount, for now, in case I need to make adjustments…
This is a permanent mount, but mine were like this too. I was worried at first, but after a couple sessions on the ice, the gap was gone. My blades are still secure, so I guess it might be normal? 🤷🏻‍♀️

christy

On the Ice
Do you mean the blade is much shorter than the sole, or that there is a gap between the sole plate of the blade and the sole?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
This is a permanent mount, but mine were like this too. I was worried at first, but after a couple sessions on the ice, the gap was gone. My blades are still secure, so I guess it might be normal? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Thanks! That makes me feel better about this.
Do you mean the blade is much shorter than the sole, or that there is a gap between the sole plate of the blade and the sole?
I am referring to the gap between the sole plate of the blade and the sole. Maybe I’ve just never noticed the gaps in my previous skates, or they went away like @emilinkaa reports.

Elija

On the Ice
Interesting. It’s definitely common with a temp mount. Haven’t had this personally with a permanent mount, but others obviously have, so perhaps it’s not too much of a worry. The gap doesn’t look too large, so hopefully it does settle down!

annetter

Rinkside
There is a visible gap between the front blade plate (where two of the screws have not been installed) and leather sole of my Risport skates - I am concerned about moisture entering this gap if I use my skates - I am interested in information about waterproofing these soles (Sno-Seal is not available to me), as I have not seen any indication of waterproofing having been done in connection with blade mounting.

Last edited: