Plushenko to Resume His Eligibility to skate ISU Competitions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko to Resume His Eligibility to skate ISU Competitions

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Neda, between that and the story of the Dragon, you clearly rock.

I am curious, though, to see how much of a committment he's willing to make to competing in terms of the number of events he'll attend. If he did three (CoR or Nationals, Euros, and Worlds) I think he'd be okay.

bsfan

On the Ice
Plushenko had asked for permission from his federation because they are the one to give it for shows and got it first place, as well as all the skaters in KOI who were to compete at worlds, like Weir for example. Then Plushenko withdrew, like Weir for example and ISU threatened RF to take back his permission unlike Weir for example. The RF page announced that they forbid Plushenko to skate in KOI cause they didnt want ISU to mess with any concequences for russian team..
By then Plushenko had been openingly supporting Anton S. for RF president and not Piseev. Whatever is been said about disregard to rules, i doubt anyone would withdrew from their own show 3 days before because their permission was gotten back. Besides he had done it in Prague in 2004 (same time I think when Kwan was told not to skate in a show) and withdrew from a show and went to courts with organisers and had to explain to an upset audience. I m sure he was aware this time as also back in prague of the conseequences and chose to skate in the show this time.
So Evgeni withdrew from worlds and skated to koi, other skaters skipped worlds and went to Dancing with the Stars or KOI, the only difference is that their federation backed them up in their decision.

Thanks for explaining the case. I just have a question: from the description, it seems to me that it was ISU that threatened RF to take back his permission but not threatened USFSA or Canada's for their skaters. So ISU treated federations differently?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Sorry, that was my personal judgement about the different federations, really I dont know what they said with the rest federations and their skaters, I know what RF wrote in their homepage and I only judged by the result. ISU demanded the permission from RF citating they needed time to exam his medical papers due to withdrawing from injury. My only objection is that ISU doesnt say inside their rules that it is ok to withdraw for personal reasons, or any other reason with no consequences, Weir withdrew around the same time for just personal reasons and skated in the same KOI also after Worlds , but from injury it needs further investigation and while so the skater cannot skate.
Anyway it is old news now.

Interview with Alexander Lakernik, who is the Vice-President of the Russian National Figure Skating Federation, member of the International Skating Union and a well-respected figure skating judge:

http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/06/20/52120950.html
Thank you SkateFiguring. That is a fascinating read about Plushenko. however, the new Oly Team Competition was even more fascinating. Correct me, please if I do not understand it.

How will the 10 Teams qualify to be in the SP? or is this Open for all Olympians?

From the 10 Teams, the top 5 SP finishers will proceed to the Free Skate,

Since we have already seen the SPs and LPs of all the contestants for the Olys, will the Team Trophy be a separate event with the same contestants?

from his interview after reistatement (it is audio), he is in Germany for two surgeries, one knee, one spine (i dont know what kind )
Horrors! Plush is facing 2 major surgeries before he gets competitive again. Torn meniscus is difficult to fix, and if his spine has become misalligned as what happened to America's quad king, together those surgeries will be problematic even if successful. senorita - Please keep us informed about this.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes Joe I find the interview article very interesting and informative. I thought the Team event part was worthy of separate attention but I couldn't find the thread of that discussion. I'm not sure how the top 10 world teams will be determined but it's interesting to have confirmation that two different skaters/couples may skate for the SP and the LP.

eta. It seems two different skaters/pairs/couples are allowed in only two disciplines. So, it's not like there could be two different World Teams per country to take on the SPs and the LPs.

BTW, I :rofl: at a FSU thread I happened upon. First a poster wrote with a hilarious typo that Plushenko would undergo surgery on his "spin". :laugh: Then someone else explained the impact of all the jumps on young bones, specifically Plush's "exo-skeleton"! :eek: Somehow I can't picture Plushenko as a crab or a beetle. Or were dragons supposed to have exoskeleton? :laugh:

eta. Just checked Plush's birthday. He's a Scorpio, no crab. But, exoskeleton it is. :biggrin:

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
BTW, I :rofl: at a FSU thread I happened upon. First a poster wrote with a hilarious typo that Plushenko would undergo surgery on his "spin". :laugh: Then someone else explained the impact of all the jumps on young bones, specifically Plush's "exo-skeleton"! :eek: Somehow I can't picture Plushenko as a crab or a beetle. Or were dragons supposed to have exoskeleton? :laugh:

eta. Just checked Plush's birthday. He's a Scorpio, no crab. But, exoskeleton it is. :biggrin:
There are tabloids and there are journals.

Yes Joe I find the interview article very interesting and informative. I thought the Team event part was worthy of separate attention but I couldn't find the thread of that discussion. I'm not sure how the top 10 world teams will be determined but it's interesting to have confirmation that two different skaters/couples may skate for the SP and the LP.

eta. It seems two different skaters/pairs/couples are allowed in only two disciplines. So, it's not like there could be two different World Teams per country to take on the SPs and the LPs.

Scorpio? How lucky for the poster is that? Another animal with an exoskeleton! You were clever to think of that possibility. Thanks for sharing that delightfully tangled FSU comment with us.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I saw this video on twitter and it made my day, i had seen a couple of these photos in the past, but never a video and i was crying from laughing, especialy towards the end! Clearly fans have better humor than tabloids.

I saw this video on twitter and it made my day, i had seen a couple of these photos in the past, but never a video and i was crying from laughing, especialy towards the end! Clearly fans have better humor than tabloids.

What a hoot! Thanks for finding this, Seniorita. Plushy in the paintings are my favorite parts. This will be laugh therapy for me for some time to come.

fanniewaters

Rinkside
I actually find it INCREDIBLY sad that Plushenko has to even think about competing in 2014. This is separate from the issue of whether he is a great skater and competitor (Which I think he is) but to me speaks more to the fact that there is little to no bench depth amongst the men in Russia. To me, THAT is the weirdest part of ALL of this.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Some of those are hilarious. thank you!

silverpond

On the Ice
I haven't read all of the replies, so forgive me if I'm repeating another's comments. My take is that Plushenko wants to win that elusive Olympic gold medal, and since the Olympics will be in Russia in 2012, he would have the home ice advantage, assuming he's on the Russian Olympic skating team.

IMHO, it's his right to compete, and he certainly adds a strong, masuline statement with his competitive programs. My only comment is that his programs lack artistry - they are a series of powerful jumps and spins - but not much in the way of choreography, compared with many of the other skaters. At Vancouver, his long program was strong, and he medaled, which was appropriate, even though his jump landings were ungainly. He crouched down a number of times and looked as though he saved a few of those landings.

Perhaps he's using his time away from competition to improve his artistry, and if that's what he's doing, he will indeed be a force to be reckoned with next year.

seniorita

Record Breaker
My take is that Plushenko wants to win that elusive Olympic gold medal, and since the Olympics will be in Russia in 2012, he would have the home ice advantage
maybe ..... if he will become English and if he is planning to compete in badminton! :p

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Plushenko wants to win that elusive Olympic gold medal, and since the Olympics will be in Russia in 2012, he would have the home ice advantage, assuming he's on the Russian Olympic skating team.

sorry, but..elusive? he already has one (and the two silvers), he wants the 2nd ;)
Sochi 2014, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in London...he could join soccer perhaps :cool:
anyway, ice advantage it's a clichè I really don't believe in and find quite dismissing for some skaters to say they win only because of this. I'd rather say that skating on home ice is a great experience and winning at home a dream for any athlete. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Plushenko has said in an interview that he will be working with Kurt Browning in his preparation/training for new competitions. I find that very intriguing but don't have any detail on it. Does anyone here know more about this?

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Plushenko has said in an interview that he will be working with Kurt Browning in his preparation/training for new competitions. I find that very intriguing but don't have any detail on it. Does anyone here know more about this?

IIRC he asked Kurt Browning for choreography, but then Kurt hadn't time and so nothing was done.
So, I think Zhulin is doing at least one of his programs.

anyanka

Record Breaker
If he gets to Sochi, I just hope he NEVER does that mortifying hip-swiveling during the 2009/2010 FS. It was so full of Try. He looked like Eurotrash at a bad disco. And I say that as a big fan of his. When I saw the program at Euros before the Olympics I thought "oh good gawd that's just CHEESY" and realized he wasn't gonna win if someone else skated cleaner or did a more classical program.

That said, if he could continue to push himself technically and artistically, then hopefully he'll put a challenge to the young'uns for 2014 OGM.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He uses his hips in like every program. Even Hava Nagila. I just hope it's not like 2010 Olympics. "Oh he swiveled his hips so doing a quad triple means nothing!"