Plushenko's Sitspin. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's Sitspin.

soogar

Record Breaker
goldberry99 said:
If I remember correctly, didn't Tara have a good sit spin? She was tiny and got all the way down and I remember her free leg being horizontal to the ice, and I don't think she was hunched over that much.

Tara had the best sit spin. Though I think this is a characteristic of Richard Callaghan's students as she started spinning like that after she went to Rich. Though she was a good spinner before.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Joe, is this good, for a lady? Or should she be even farther down.

http://heatherw.com/mk/pics/rach/wsh_sit.jpg

Well kwan's back sit is her weakest spin but i don't think its the position that's weak its the speed - in her earlier days the difference in speed from the front to the back on the change sit was very noticeable but she did work to imporve it and it did get faster but her front sit remains slightly better.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I love this place because of the great examples that are shown.

I really have to agree with the comments about "the Great Plushy," I really get tiered of his little "windmill" thing. He must be throwing some hypnotic trance on the judges. I do feel that he has fantastic charisma, coming across as a "rock star" of sorts. For me the overbearing "I am the great one" of FS attitude gets to my nerves before and after he skates. Some how I am entranced as he is out there though.
Strange?
I would never say he is not great, yet I really have to say that he does get over rated when overlooking the things he does have flaws in - particularly the sit-spin and his "footwork." Haven't watched him "like a hawk" to note any improvement, but how can anyone notice when his arms are wheeling around like a tightrope walker that is about to fall - that alone should be deducting.

Saying this I should clarify I think he did have the best overall performance consistency, and the pressure of the Olys didn't seem to phase him one bit. The metal did go to the best man IMO.

Lanie

On the Ice
I think it was last season or the season before that his sit spins had marked improvement - longer held positions, deeper sit position, etc, but it seems like this season it all went bye bye.

Kasey

Medalist
It seems, IMO, that spins have been the weakest elements for many of the recent Russian male single skaters. Kulik's were probably his weakest point; Abt had nice position on the camel, but I think his sit spin was rather weak also; Plush, Yagudin, Griazev, Dobrin.....Klimkin has some pretty good spins, but he seems to be more the exception in recent years (going back as far as Urmanov, who also was not a great spinner as I recall). I wonder if it is just something that is not as stressed in earlier training for them?