Polina Edmunds shows promise | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds shows promise

RABID

Final Flight
Over the weekend, Polina won the Glacier Falls competition with a huge 200+ score.

Polina has the hardest technical content of any senior lady in the world and remarkable consistency. It is very rare that she has a bad performance.

She has very limited international experience, but if she continues to skate well at that level, her reputation will increase and her PCS will rise. I honestly believe Polina is the skater who can compete with the Russian ladies. I think Polina could be the first US lady to stand on the World podium in a long time.

I do not think Gracie Gold is a contender. By now, it is obvious that she is a poor competitor and does not have the jump consistency in competition, not to mention that her jumps have hugely declined in quality/height since she started training with Frank Carroll.

I think Polina will have no problem defeating Gracie (who will most likely make mistakes) and Ashley (who doesn’t have the technical content) at the next US Nationals.

I too LIKE to believe the sky is the limit for her and I too LIKE to believe that she will be better than competitive with ALL the ladies but I will keep my fingers crossed just the same. Next season should give us an indication of her career trajectory; stay tuned. :)

Barb

Record Breaker
But Polina doesn't have good choreography as Yulia. :think: I hope USA fed will pay more attention to her. She has huge potential. She's balletic and fresh.

we had not seen Yulia`s news program, and I really liked Polina`s programs and we are in the off season, I hope her nats and worlds will be a lot better

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Not trying to pick Polina apart like I said this would be huge for her I'm just trying to understand why she placed (relatively of course !) low in Sochi and world's then... could her components really drag her down that much?

Well you have to remember Polina competed on the JGP last year. Skating at the Olympics was her senior international debut. When you're an unknown the judges tend to hold off on their scores until they see how much they like you. Had she been a more established skater her PCS would have been a bit higher.

Yes I think that's also a factor. Her LP music last season was just -without being rude- dead boring, no highs and lows in there no tension, choreo wasn't that interesting either I agree... and that can really make a difference combined with her age and lack of 'having a name' (which I really think can be an influence-sadly)... so I hoped she would get sth with more character this season.. but sadly her music is just as plain as the last one :/

I liked her FS from last season but I agree that the music wasn't anything wonderful...it was nice. That's all. She's a very pleasant skater to watch: light, willowy, delicate and graceful. Those are all good things BUT next to Adelina, Julia, Gracie, Elena and Ashley, delicate and pleasant might not stand out enough. I think Polina's SP last season was very good b/c she was able to bring a lot of energy and fun to the ice and make herself memorable.

I like both of her programs so far but I'm worried that they may not leave a big enough impact on the judges. Her technical content is superb and she's pretty good at everything else so that's a plus. At the very least her technical content will keep her in the mix. In terms of pulling down the PCS she needs to stay competitive with the top ladies, she'll need (a) more time to build her rep with the judges and (b) a little more bang in terms of her impact. I think speed will help a lot. From the Glacier Falls video I see that she doesn't skate with that much speed. She's not slow; but she's not fast either. Next to Gracie, she does look slow b/c one thing Gracie does do well is cover the ice...Polina needs to work on that.

I do think that Polina has a good chance at upsetting some of the favorites...but, as of now, she'll need their help. If Gracie struggles and Polina goes clean, I think the judges may swing in Polina's direction. As for Ashley, if she doesn't get a 3-3 back consistently, I think Polina will eventually overtake her based on TES alone.

This is Polina's first full senior season. She's needs to follow the same route Anna and Elena followed last season: have strong debut performances and the judges will take notice, her PCS will rise, and she'll be in a better position to contend at (or at least near) the top.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Polina has really clean edges when she skates. I just love that. Excellent. I hope she keeps it up.

I'm also hoping for an American sweep this season (any event). Hey, let me daydream, ok!

Its possible but not too many where there are three americal ladies in one event other than worlds and 4cc's; oh at Nationals of course :)

shine

Record Breaker
But Polina doesn't have good choreography as Yulia. :think: I hope USA fed will pay more attention to her. She has huge potential. She's balletic and fresh.

Polina and team just didn't choose to rely on a heavily emotional sound track and the audience's association of the music with the movie. Outside of the heavy reliance and the very outward acting (dramatic pauses and facial expression at the start for example) and the very obvious red coat, I don't think Lipnitskaya's LP was anything phenomenal choreographically. I also don't think Polina's LP had any exceptional choreography, but certainly disagree it was anything lesser than Lip's LP choreographically. The LP had subtlety and required someone with exceptional musicality and nuance to pull off. The danger in doing something like that is it might not have the same kind of easy effect on the audience, unless to a very discerning one, as can be more easily achieved by a piece of music like Schindler's List and the acting that accompanies it. Her circular step sequence from last year's LP was IMO brilliant though and demonstrated her superior skating skills so well.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Polina and team just didn't choose to rely on a heavily emotional sound track and the audience's association of the music with the movie. Outside of the heavy reliance and the very outward acting (dramatic pauses and facial expression at the start for example) and the very obvious red coat, I don't think Lipnitskaya's LP was anything phenomenal choreographically. I also don't think Polina's LP had any exceptional choreography, but certainly disagree it was anything lesser than Lip's LP choreographically. The LP had subtlety and required someone with exceptional musicality and nuance to pull off. The danger in doing something like that is it might not have the same kind of easy effect on the audience, unless to a very discerning one, as can be more easily achieved by a piece of music like Schindler's List and the acting that accompanies it. Her circular step sequence from last year's LP was IMO brilliant though and demonstrated her superior skating skills so well.
You don't get it. What I mean is, USA fed should invest more in Polina. She needs some wow factor program, the program that will help her stand out even if she isn't on the podium. A signature one. Yulia team has that. Polina team? I don't think so.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You don't get it. What I mean is, USA fed should invest more in Polina. She needs some wow factor program, the program that will help her stand out even if she isn't on the podium. A signature one. Yulia team has that. Polina team? I don't think so.

I agree somewhat, but it takes a lot of work to develop a signature program and, frankly, Polina may not be ready yet. Julia also has the advantage of having a "wow" factor: the best flexibility we have ever seen in figure skating. Polina is just a great jumper with good lines at this point.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope she will get more speed and flow out of her jumps. I think she has more potential than Gracie. Just praying that USA fed paid her more attention. She need better pakage to make good impression on the judges.

starlight97

Final Flight
Yes. If you listen to the top coaches talk they all say the same:
To be succesful one needs the package and great skills BUT
To be superior and to make the difference between a great skater and a champion, between bronze and gold... you need to have something special. Either always (like Yuna Kim or Yuzuru Hanyu) or at the one moment that counts(like Adelina in Sochi)

All the top names have this special thing. Yuna has her grace and detailed choreo and facial expressions, Yuzuru has his technique, Yulia has her flexibility, Adelina had the BAMness and the energy in Sochi ....

And I can't see anything 'exciting' or special about Polina YET. I do not mean to be rude I just can't find a better adjective :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. Polina has been on the junior scene for exactly ONE HALF SEASON and the senior scene for exactly ONE HALF SEASON and here are posters complaining she doesn't have the whole package like a certain skater who has had ONE full junior season and two JW appearances, and TWO full seasons on the GP.

Polina's lack of international experience cost her in the PCS department big time last season, yet she managed to place top 10 at both Sochi and Worlds. I'd say that was a spectacular senior debut for a 15-year-old. Give credit where credit is due.

starlight97

Final Flight
@chuckm No one is denying her any credit at all. We/I all think that she is amazing and has accomplished a lot. It's just that some posts really 'hyped' her saying she could be or is way better than I PERSONALLY think she is yet.
She had an amazing debut on the senior level - but so had Yulia. Those were her first world's as well,first GPF and so on. Not trying to compare them again I just want you to understand where I'm coming from :)
She is very good but again TO ME she's only that at the moment. It can all come with time.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think chuckm's point is Polina has had relatively little international experience relative to Yulia. Yulia has competed internationally since the 2011-2012 season (juniors). Polina on the other hand had only one Senior B in 2013, one JGP/JGPF season and then half as season. All things considered a strong start and I think it's possible she can catch up to Yulia scorewise in due time if she gets numbers similar to what she got at Glacier Falls.

At this point the tangible it factor some are talking about here may be a factor in PCS scores, but anyone that can get 35+/70+ in TES is going to fare pretty well.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It should be fun to watch Polina give everyone a run for their money next year. :popcorn:

Lol at Yulia being a seasoned vet (especially considering Polina is older :laugh: )It's odd to shift to that line of thinking for me even though its kind of true.

I'd be over the moon to see both girls have really solid seasons next year. They both have so much promise :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think chuckm's point is Polina has had relatively little international experience relative to Yulia. Yulia has competed internationally since the 2011-2012 season (juniors). Polina on the other hand had only one Senior B in 2013, one JGP/JGPF season and then half as season. All things considered a strong start and I think it's possible she can catch up to Yulia scorewise in due time if she gets numbers similar to what she got at Glacier Falls.

At this point the tangible it factor some are talking about here may be a factor in PCS scores, but anyone that can get 35+/70+ in TES is going to fare pretty well.
That's why I said she need good package for the next season, something like a wow factor. Of course I don't expect it to be some Yulia-like success. But I hope she can make a hit, like what Jason has done with River dance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It should be fun to watch Polina give everyone a run for their money next year. :popcorn:

Lol at Yulia being a seasoned vet (especially considering Polina is older :laugh: )It's odd to shift to that line of thinking for me even though its kind of true.

You never know with these youngsters. She already surprised last year by getting on the Olympic team (the debate on whether she deserved it or not aside). A US title next season is not out of the question, given the current trend, but STILL - I cannot get too excited here. She is still young. She is still developing. The jumps are typically lost or weakened significantly by 18.

It would be great if she manages to do all the things posters claim she'll do or expect her to do, and it's certainly within the realm of possibility, but - I wouldn't bet on it happening. The odds don't favor it.

What I think she needs to do is just continue establishing herself and building upwards. If she does that, the scores should follow. Also, she is relatively untested under pressure and that's a big thing that people should remember.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can't wait! I'm thrilled that she had such a great showing so early in the season and hope she's able to keep the momentum going. :yay:

I think the thing to remember with such young skaters is that it could take a turn for the worse at about anytime. That is why it is so important to enjoy it while last. The whole stop and smell the roses cliché :)

I'm not afraid to say this girl is a threat at this point and going forward. :popcorn:

YLFan

Match Penalty
I agree with the post that Polina has no hook. Shes a decent jumper but not a powerful jumper. She has no real flexibility or wow factor. As far as packaging is kinda in between. Not super cute nor stunning.

I think her artistry gets overrated because ppl know its a necessary thing for her to be competitive, so they have to try hard to sell her as uber artistic. I think shes somewhat conflicted over whether to go more mature or do programs with sugar fairies.