Possible US TV coverage for the grand prix | Golden Skate

Possible US TV coverage for the grand prix

zephyrskates

On the Ice
If someone has already posted this, I'm sorry. I'm extremely surprised and happy, that universal sports has the whole grandprix series in its lineup.

http://www.universalsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&KEY=&SPID=13046&SPSID=105656

Date Event Location Time (ET) Results Media
curve Trophee Eric Bompard Cachemire
Thu, Oct 15 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Paris, France TBA

Fri, Oct 16 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Paris, France TBA

Sat, Oct 17 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Paris, France TBA

Sun, Oct 18 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Paris, France TBA

curve spacer
curve Rostelecom Cup
Thu, Oct 22 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Moscow, Russia TBA

Fri, Oct 23 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Moscow, Russia TBA

Sat, Oct 24 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Moscow, Russia TBA

Sun, Oct 25 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Moscow, Russia TBA

curve spacer
curve Cup of China
Thu, Oct 29 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Beijing, China TBA

Fri, Oct 30 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Beijing, China TBA

Sat, Oct 31 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Beijing, China TBA

Sun, Nov 01 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Beijing, China TBA

curve spacer
curve NHK Trophy
Thu, Nov 05 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Nagano, Japan TBA

Fri, Nov 06 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Nagano, Japan TBA

Sat, Nov 07 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Nagano, Japan TBA

Sun, Nov 08 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Nagano, Japan TBA

curve spacer
curve Skate America
Thu, Nov 12 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Lake Placid, NY TBA

Fri, Nov 13 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Lake Placid, NY TBA

Sat, Nov 14 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Lake Placid, NY TBA

Sun, Nov 15 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Lake Placid, NY TBA

curve spacer
curve Skate Canada
Thu, Nov 19 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Kitchener, ON, Canada TBA

Fri, Nov 20 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Kitchener, ON, Canada TBA

Sat, Nov 21 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Kitchener, ON, Canada TBA

Sun, Nov 22 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Kitchener, ON, Canada TBA

curve spacer
curve Final
Thu, Dec 03 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Tokyo, Japan TBA

Fri, Dec 04 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Tokyo, Japan TBA

Sat, Dec 05 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Tokyo, Japan TBA

Sun, Dec 06 Grand Prix of Figure Skating at Tokyo, Japan TBA

curve spacer
curve 2010 Winter Olympics
Sun, Feb 14 Pairs short program at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Mon, Feb 15 Pairs free skate at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Tue, Feb 16 Men's short program at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Thu, Feb 18 Men's free skate at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Fri, Feb 19 Compulsory dance at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Sun, Feb 21 Original dance at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Mon, Feb 22 Free dance at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Tue, Feb 23 Ladies short program at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Thu, Feb 25 Ladies free skate at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Sat, Feb 27 Exhibition gala at Vancouver, Canada TBA

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yay! I wonder if this will be just because this is an olympic season or what? Great news though, I was planning on getting IN this season, but Universal seems to be planning on airing the events the week of the event...a lot better than ESPN gave us.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, Universal Sports shows almost all of the other Olympic events, so I don't think coverage of the Figure Skating GP events is far-fetched. In fact, I'd imagine they'd do everything in their power to try to get the rights to those events. The only question is, what about Ice Network? I assume Universal would show them for free (like always) but this would undercut IN, which charges for their coverage. Hmm... (unless IN's GP deal was only for one year)

Particle Man

Match Penalty
What's Universal Sports? I don't think Comcast regular service carries that... guess I won't be seeing any, so IN subscription for me as usual.

jcoates

Medalist
What's Universal Sports? I don't think Comcast regular service carries that... guess I won't be seeing any, so IN subscription for me as usual.

It's part of the Comcast digital tier in my area in my area that is just above the basic package. Also, it's available in many areas to people who have digital converter boxes for "over the air" viewers.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/279303-Universal_Sports_Goes_For_the_Gold.php

Don't quote me on this since I have cable and not a converter box, but as I understand it, your NBC affiliate should now be broadcasting its over the air signal in via multiple signals within the same channel structure. So if your NBC channel is 4, your Univeral Sports signal would be something like 4.3. At least that's how it works in the DC area.

It's worth investigating at the very least since the boxes probably aren't that much more expensive than an IN subscription. I can say that the picture quality is great and most of the time, there is no commentary, which is pretty nice if you are a die hard fan.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dish Network doesn't carry Universal Sports (or didn't last year) so I don't think IN will suffer too greatly if only select providers carry it.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Remember folks, Universial Sports both online and on cable is owned by NBC TV. Presently NBC does not have a contract to cover any ISU Grand Prix event outside of Skate America. So it remains to be seen if this is an actual coverage schedule or otherwise.

btw... Universal Sports cable channel is carried by Comcast in some areas of the country, and not in others.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Universal Sports is shown over-the-air in some markets, but not in all. Where I'm gonna be, it's a no-show, so online coverage for me (although I might have to get cable service, have to check to see if universal is offered)

merrybari

Final Flight
No Universal for me - IN it is! That is if I get it fixed. For some reason I'm not able to access ALL the videos, just some. Makes no sense. Have IN research looking into it. In the meantime has anyone else had this problem?

Rah Rah - Time Warner carries it. I hope they leave commentary out of it, unless it a decision that is controversial.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Just wondering if this means that the ISU have to cough up some money for Skate America now - wasn't the withdrawal of funding for it from ISU funds blamed on the lack of tv contract for teh whole GP series?

Ant

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
This is a surprise. I thought the Grand Prix would be covered by the Amateur-Video-On-YouTube Channel. :biggrin:

Remember, if it is LIVE with no repeats, some of us will have to get up very early or not go to sleep to watch it. I presume Icenetwork will have tapes available, maybe not instantly but in a week or so.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Remember, if it is LIVE with no repeats, some of us will have to get up very early or not go to sleep to watch it. I presume Icenetwork will have tapes available, maybe not instantly but in a week or so.

You could also record it. Then you can watch at your convenience like it was live.

Penny

On the Ice
Contact DISH

Universal is not on DISH. I just sent them an email requesting it. If you have DISH, please do so as well. Go to their website and click on Contact Us.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Universal is not on DISH. I just sent them an email requesting it. If you have DISH, please do so as well. Go to their website and click on Contact Us.

If I remember right, somebody tried to do that with Eurosport. It did not work.