Possible US TV coverage for the grand prix | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Possible US TV coverage for the grand prix

dewey

Rinkside
I think I watched Worlds on Universal Sports online last year. The format is much like Ice Network - the whole competition, including zamboni breaks, with no commentary or commercials (this is how I prefer it).

gold12345

Medalist
If you don't get the Universal Sports Channel in your area then you can watch everything LIVE and FREE on-line. And we have been growing rapidly so check here to see if we are in your area:

http://www.universalsports.com/EPG/tv.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000&SPID=13408

This is great. Thank you so much for your planned coverage, especially the TV coverage!

I think I watched Worlds on Universal Sports online last year. The format is much like Ice Network - the whole competition, including zamboni breaks, with no commentary or commercials (this is how I prefer it).

I feel the same way. The commentary-free coverage makes you feel as if you are at the event, and you can hear things like the coach-athlete interactions in the kiss and cry. (And Universal Sports/NBC saves money by not having to pay any commentators.) I have loved all Universal Sports coverage so far. :yes:

I also loved the online on-demand coverage of Worlds last year. It was unedited (included warmups, breaks, etc), which made me feel as if I was watching it live. Perfect!

Last edited:
If you don't get the Universal Sports Channel in your area then you can watch everything LIVE and FREE on-line. And we have been growing rapidly so check here to see if we are in your area:

When watching LIVE on TV, do you know if they will have commentary while the skaters are competing?

The most anticipated GP is, of course, TEB and that seems set in timing for NYC. It wll be a cool Fall, afternoon competing with baseball Series? hmmm.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
:rock::clap: This is wonderful news!!! I am soo excited to see the coverage from Universal Sports!! I love the commentary free viewing!!:yes: WooHoo!!:love::agree: Bring on the Grand Prix and coverage by Universal Sports!!:rock::clap::biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker

I'll just take this moment to say Thanks very much for the worlds coverage last year and look forward to what you have in store next season :agree:

Questions, though: Any way to record or download the online coverage (like you can videotape a TV show)? Also, will any of the coverage air on a TV network?

sillylionlove

Medalist
Wow I jsut came across this thread. This is awesome!! I am so excited. I sure hope that they don't have commentary which is how it was in the past!!

My guess is this is to drum up excitement for the Olympics!!!

merrybari

Final Flight
It just occurred to me to wonder if this will mean Icenetwork will not be showing it. I can't get Universal but DO get Icenet. Hmmm? Shame on the network for not showing on "real" NBC so everyone can see it/them!

R.D.

Record Breaker
On FSU I heard that it's just an event schedule, NOT a broadcast schedule. Someone confirmed that Ice Network will be airing this year's GP (I think it was Sarah/Drew on Twitter?) which to me, is a bit of a letdown considering how great a job Universal did with Worlds in LA. At the same time, it's better than no coverage at all.

waxel

Final Flight
I'm a DISH subscriber too, so that let's me out of Universal Sports.

I can get it online, but as someone mentioned, if it's live it could be streamed at awkward times. And watching on-demand doesn't really work either. I tried watching the recent World Swimming Champs and on-demand wasn't up. (I think some of it is online now.)

Icenetwork did a pretty good job of getting the on-demand coverage up pretty quickly. Often within hours of the event, making it easier to watch unspoiled.

If DISH had US and they did air the GP so that it could be DVR'd and played back at leisure? Heaven.

I have "clicked" and requested DISH to add it ... we'll see how far that goes.

Interesting to see what develops with GP coverage.

sillylionlove

Medalist
i guess we will find out closer to the events. I sure hope that they televise it. As much as I like watching it...its so much nicer on the television then the computer

gold12345

Medalist
On FSU I heard that it's just an event schedule, NOT a broadcast schedule. Someone confirmed that Ice Network will be airing this year's GP (I think it was Sarah/Drew on Twitter?) which to me, is a bit of a letdown considering how great a job Universal did with Worlds in LA. At the same time, it's better than no coverage at all.

If this is true, what a bummer. I'm still going to cross my fingers that Universal Sports comes through. Last year, they televised Skate America, and the coverage was fantastic, so if they could somehow televise all the GP events, it would be perfect. Being able to watch the events live on Icenetwork is great, but watching on a TV screen is just so much more pleasant.

merrybari

Final Flight
All except Cup of China! Can't help but wonder why they're skipping that one.

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
this is wonderful news:rock::clap: I will have to check my Tivo to make sure whatever I can get on tv will be recording :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
All except Cup of China! Can't help but wonder why they're skipping that one.

Perhaps a scheduling conflict? Universal Sports will be showing that one, but there will be no network coverage of it. Otherwise, if they are showing the others I don't see why they would skip over it for reasons other than not enough space on the schedule that weekend. (And seems like NBC is much more committed to airing the GPs as soon as they take place than ABC, and later ESPN, was).

merrybari

Final Flight
Perhaps a scheduling conflict? Universal Sports will be showing that one, but there will be no network coverage of it. Otherwise, if they are showing the others I don't see why they would skip over it for reasons other than not enough space on the schedule that weekend. (And seems like NBC is much more committed to airing the GPs as soon as they take place than ABC, and later ESPN, was).

Didn't think to check to see what else they were broadcasting. Makes sense now that I think of it. Too easy an explanation - went right on by me. Thanks!

lcd

Match Penalty
Such a last minute announcement. Sounds like disorganization or a lot of last minute back room haggling.