Predictions? | Golden Skate

Predictions?

Did you mean for it to be this BIG, LOL?

To make size and font work, close the html command with [/*font], etc. (Take out the *.)

MM :)

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
The Russians will win it all:

Pairs:
1. Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin (RUS)
2. Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov (RUS)
3. Julia Obertas and Sergei Slavnov (RUS)

Men:
1. Evgeny Plushenko (RUS)
2. Brian Joubert (FRA)
3. Stefan Lindemann (GER)

Ice Dance:
1. Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov (RUS)
2. Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov (UKR)
3. Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder (FRA)

Ladies:
1. Irina Slutskaya (RUS)
2. Julia Sebestyen (HUN)
3. Elena Sokolova (RUS)

nicole_l

Final Flight
^ I agree with pairs and dance, but:

Men:
1. Plushenko
2. Joubert?
3. Lambiel, if he's somewhat healthy

Ladies:
1. Slutskaya
2. Sokolova
3. Kostner if she can hold it together (she is the hometown girl)

It doesn't matter who wins. The most memorable skate will be by

STEPHANE LAMBIEL

unless, of course, Ilia Klimkin shows up.

Joe

nicole_l

Final Flight
I think Ilia Klimkin's out for the season, but if is able to skate I definitely wouldn't count him out. :love: :love: :love:

Ximena

Final Flight
oh why oh why people keep reminding me of Ilia :cry: :cry: :cry: but he would be ready for next season, he has to!!

I agree about Europeans turning into Russian fest

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
SailorGalaxia518 said:
The Russians will win it all:

Pairs:
1. Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin (RUS)
2. Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov (RUS)
3. Julia Obertas and Sergei Slavnov (RUS)

Men:
2. Brian Joubert (FRA)
3. Stefan Lindemann (GER)

Ice Dance:
1. Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov (RUS)
2. Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov (UKR)
3. Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfelder (FRA)

Ladies:
1. Irina Slutskaya (RUS)
2. Julia Sebestyen (HUN)
3. Elena Sokolova (RUS)

I pretty much agree with the ladies and the men. But for dance, I would definitely presume Denkova and Staviyski in the running. Definitely ahead of both Delobel and Scheonfelder and Grushina and Goncharov. In pairs I think if they skated well Zagorska and Siudek could medal. Is Tatiana Totmianina already recovered from the fall at Skate America?

Matt

On the Ice
Tatiana skated at the exhibition gala for Cup of Russia. She still looked a little tender and tentative, but T&M are definitely back and skating

My predictions would be:

Men:
2. Brian Joubert (FRA)
3. Stéphane Lambiel (SUI--this is assuming he skates well; he has been injured for most of the season. My backup for this one would be Frédéric Dambier)

Women:
1. Irina Slutskaya (RUS)
2. Julia Sebestyen (HUN)
3. Elena Sokolova or Viktoria Volchkova--either way, it will be a Russian

Pairs:
1. Totmianina and Marinin (this may be ambitious, considering all they've missed, but I think they can pull it off)
2. Petrova/Tikhonov (RUS)
3. Obertas/Slavnov (RUS----I'm not so easily swayed that the Russians are going to sweep this one, but my other choice, Zagorska & Siudek, are coming off a shoulder injury)

Dance:
1. Denkova/Staviyski (BUL)
2. Navka/Kostomarov (RUS)
3. Grushina/Goncharov (UKR---or Chait/Sakhnovski; Israel does compete as Europe)

Hopes
  • please, please, PLEASE let KVDP skate well.....at least well enough to be shown....I miss seeing him
  • Kostner puts it together; I'm not a big fan of hers, but she has a lot of pressure on her and she's due for a good skate
  • Surprise nations! Skaters from places no one expects! In pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy (GER) or Berankova/Dlabola (CZE), Ladies: one of the Finns or someone like Annete Dytrt (GER), Men: who knows?! Gheorghe Chiper (ROM), Kristoffer Berntsson (SWE). I want some obscurity this year, people!!

Ximena

Final Flight
Zagorska and Siudek won't go to Euros because of Dorota's injury but they will be at Worlds

Matt

On the Ice
Ximena said:
Zagorska and Siudek won't go to Euros because of Dorota's injury but they will be at Worlds

Thanks, Ximena; that's what I was afraid of....so the predictions of a Russian pairs sweep will probably come true, unfortunately, unless there are some real surprises (*fingers crossed*)

Matt said:
Hopes
  • please, please, PLEASE let KVDP skate well.....at least well enough to be shown....I miss seeing him
  • Kostner puts it together; I'm not a big fan of hers, but she has a lot of pressure on her and she's due for a good skate
  • Surprise nations! Skaters from places no one expects! In pairs: Savchenko/Szolkowy (GER) or Berankova/Dlabola (CZE), Ladies: one of the Finns or someone like Annete Dytrt (GER), Men: who knows?! Gheorghe Chiper (ROM), Kristoffer Berntsson (SWE). I want some obscurity this year, people!!

Replies

1. It costs a fortune for me to see all the skaters I want to see because I am not locked into the usual suspects. If you are an American TV watcher, you know what you will get. Kevin has to practically win the event over Johnny's major competitors to even be considered for showing. :agree:

2. Everyone is waiting to see Carolina live up to the hype she got in 2003. I would like to add her to my list of serious contenders. :unsure:

3. Of course Susanna MUST be shown. :love:

4. Maybe that Spanish man who is so entertaining, as well ast that British Man who came in last at Dortmund Worlds but got incredible applause after his LP, and yes, Berntsson. :)

5. Are there any Pairs teams in Europe worthy of seeing besides the Russians? If it weren't for the Chinese, this discipline could be closed after the Olys. :sheesh:

Vash01

Medalist
In pairs I would pick Pet-Tik to win over T&M who have been out of competitions for a few months. T&M will make a few mistakes and open the door for someone else. Pet-Tik are skating very well this year and they are likely to enter that open door. O&S will probably win the bronze. They too will make mistakes and the judges will give the silver to the reigning champs.

In ladies I have to give it to Irina. Second and third place will go to Sebeteyen and Poikyo. I have not seen Kostner put together back to back good performances together.

Pairs:

1.P&T
2.T&M
3.O&S

Ice dance:

1.N&K
2.D&S
3.G&G

Ladies:

1.Irina
2.Julia S.
3.Susanna P.

IMO Vika and Elena S. will finish at 4 and 5 respectively, but Elena will have placed higher at the RN. Unfortunately I predict a 6th place finish for Carolina (I know she is skating at home, but I have not seen a fighting quality in her so far).

Men:

1.Plushenko (who would dare bet against him finishing on top?)
2.Joubert (he will recover from the Marshalls disaster and give EP a run for his money)
3.Lambiel (I am taking risk predicting him to medal, without even watching him this season)

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Men:

1.Plushenko (who would dare bet against him finishing on top?)
2.Joubert (he will recover from the Marshalls disaster and give EP a run for his money)
3.Lambiel (I am taking risk predicting him to medal, without even watching him this season)

I think too that Joubert would have a good skate at Euros, after all he is defending that championship. I would love Lambiel to medal but eventhough he lands his jumps, he does it very messy so I don't know how GOE would work for him, still any competition will come from who? Griazev? Lindemman? KVD?
As for Plush, considering this competition was original on his plans, I expect him to go full force, he has said well early in the season that he wanted this title back for sure.

icenut84

Final Flight
nicole_l said:
I think Ilia Klimkin's out for the season, but if is able to skate I definitely wouldn't count him out. :love: :love: :love:

FSU has just posted a translated Q&A interview with him. IIRC, he's going to start training again in January. He probably won't be at Europeans (because of the limited training time), but hopefully will go to Worlds.

Sk84lif3

Spectator
Ladies:
Irina Slutskaya
Carolina Kostner
Julia Sebestyn

Men:
Evgeny Plushenko
Brian Joubert
Stephane Lambiel

Dance
Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov

Pairs
Tatiana Totomiania and Maxim Marinin

i had a little trouble spelling some names lol :) :p

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Replies

2. Everyone is waiting to see Carolina live up to the hype she got in 2003. I would like to add her to my list of serious contenders. :unsure:

I would love to see Carolina skating her best at europeans but she has been inconsistent with her jumps this season...has she landed a flip or lutz yet in competition this season? She is usually slow to start but peaks in time for the biggies - she struggled with ehr jumps at the start of last season but managed a triple flip-triple toe in the short and long at europeans last year.

4. Maybe that Spanish man who is so entertaining, as well ast that British Man who came in last at Dortmund Worlds but got incredible applause after his LP, and yes, Berntsson. :)

Who was the british man? I can't remember who NISA sent to Europeans - was it Matthew Davies? i sdidn't think he got to skate in the LP because he didn't place high enough in the SP? He certainly is one of the smiliest skaters i've seen and his enthusiams is very catching watching him live.

5. Are there any Pairs teams in Europe worthy of seeing besides the Russians? If it weren't for the Chinese, this discipline could be closed after the Olys. :sheesh:

Personally i've enjoyed watching the Czech pair - Dlabola (and i forget the name of the partner) they've skated together for quite some time now and i think they have very smooth flowing skating which i really enjoy.

Ant

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

I think she has a shot for the podium, and that because she missed months of training, she might actually start the rise for Torino. I don't know if she will suffer from nerves in her home country, though. Should be a good test run.

Joesitz said:
3. Of course Susanna MUST be shown. :love:
In our dreams :) I would love to SP see finish on the podium.

Joesitz said:
I'm afraid Neil Wilson did not compete at British Nationals this year :cry: I haven't read that he was injured and/or has been given a bye or appointed to the British National team. Which is too bad -- his 3F on down had wonderful run-out and IIRC were rotated fully, and his spins are the equal to the best, just the qualities where CoP would have been a great system for him.

I hope Berntsson makes a splash: he has such wonderful edges. So does Tomas Verner. Nurmenkari was a lot more disciplined last year, and skated some wonderful passages. I hope he "gels" this year.

And there are always the veterans -- Dinev, Chiper, Jeannette, if he wins the skate-off for the third spot -- who can light up a competition, as can van der Perren. Otherwise, Contesti of France might be a wonderful surprise.

Joesitz said:
5. Are there any Pairs teams in Europe worthy of seeing besides the Russians?

If T/M decide that they're not ready to compete in Torino, the fourth Russian pair, Borzenkova/Chuvilaev is definitely worth watching.

Unfortunately, Zagorska/Siudek are out because Zagorska has a shoulder injury.

Berankova/Dlabola have had injuries for the last two seasons, and have competed intermittently. (They were the pair in DC who was doing so well, until she went down on some backwards footwork and never recovered.) She has among the best flexibility in the world, but it is tempered by elegance, and her extension and back position in lifts are also among the best in the world. They are on the old side, though (27 and 32), and I'd expect them to retire after Torino, if they are healthy until then.

There's a young pair from Germany, Aliona Savchenko//Robin Szolkowy, over whom there is a lot of excitement. They won German Nationals last year, but had to sit out two years of international competition, because she had competed for Ukraine. Fitze/Rex were a lot of fun to watch, although I don't think they'll ever be competitive at the highest level.

Tatiana Volosozhar is back with another partner. She's a beautiful pairs skater from Ukraine, but I don't think she and her last partner ever got the timing down for lifts and throws, and he could not land SBS jumps. She's definitely worth the watch.

Joesitz said:
If it weren't for the Chinese, this discipline could be closed after the Olys. :sheesh:

Marcoux/Buntin are very good, and improving steadily. Working with Z/S has been mutually beneficial for these teams, IMO. Only time will tell if Dmitriev can work his magic with Don/Hunt, and if some young skaters are inspired by his and their example.

Pairs skating survived many years without a single nation fielding a number of top six teams to compete that could be competitive with the Soviet pairs. And after Ding/Ren, there aren't international-level pairs skaters in China, although Pang/Tong and Zhang/Zhang are likely to skate long enough for some children starting now to develop into top teams.

Last edited:

Matt

On the Ice
Jeannette, if he wins the skate-off for the third spot -- who can light up a competition, as can van der Perren. Otherwise, Contesti of France might be a wonderful surprise.

Borzenkova/Chuvilaev is definitely worth watching.

Berankova/Dlabola have had injuries for the last two seasons, and have competed intermittently. (They were the pair in DC who was doing so well, until she went down on some backwards footwork and never recovered.) She has among the best flexibility in the world, but it is tempered by elegance, and her extension and back position in lifts are also among the best in the world. They are on the old side, though (27 and 32), and I'd expect them to retire after Torino, if they are healthy until then.

There's a young pair from Germany, Aliona Savchenko//Robin Szolkowy, over whom there is a lot of excitement. They won German Nationals last year, but had to sit out two years of international competition, because she had competed for Ukraine
Berankova/Dlabola are FANTASTIC.....I saw them skating at the Obertsdorf Gala; he has been hampered by a knee injury, but they should be in Torino. If you have seen them, you REALLY need to

Savchenko/Szolkowy were also at Obertsdorf, but they didn't impress me. They did a throw double axel in their routine and she nearly 3-turned out of it. They did win a bronze at Cup of Russia, so apparently they are completely different in competition (Interestingly, Tatiana Volosozhar of the Ukraine's new partner is Stanislav Morozov, who was Savchenko's old partner)

Stanick Jeannette was at Obertsdorf, too....he did a Chaplin on Ice that was surprisingly entertaining. He was also jumping really well (he landed a clean 3axel). He won't be there (he was 4th at French Nats) but if he starts skating cleanly and skates to a conventional piece of music anytime soon, he may be on my good list :p

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Has Dambier been mentioned? I'd guess he could medal easier than some of the longshots who have been mentioned.