Private lesson question | Golden Skate

Private lesson question

bruingrl

Rinkside
Not sure if this question is allowed, but if it is...

I've been off-ice for about 15 years and haven't had a private lesson coach in about 20 years. Recently I started taking group lessons again just to get my blades under me and am now thinking about whether I want to go the private lesson route.

However, I'm an adult now (lol) and my parents are no longer paying for my skating. :LOL: I know coaching rates vary based on experience and location, but would anyone be able to give me an idea of a rate range for a 20 or 30 minute private lesson these days? I'm in Southern California if that helps. Inflation is real and I just want to get an idea of whether it would even be somewhat within my budget to begin with. I'm quickly being reminded of how expensive this awesome sport is! Thank you!

Elija

On the Ice
Curious about rates in Southern California too, as I may be moving there next year. In my experience the rates vary a lot - it will depend a lot on how much experience the coach has as well as the rink and the fees they charge the coaches. I am currently in Australia and hourly coaching starts at around $90 - so $45 for half hour. The more experienced coaches are upward of $120 an hour. In New Zealand it was cheaper, more like $80 an hour for an experienced coach. I’ve also had lessons in the past in the US and Canada and the rates varied hugely, anywhere from $50 an hour (rural Canada) to well over $100 (Colorado).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I've been off-ice for about 15 years and haven't had a private lesson coach in about 20 years. Recently I started taking group lessons again just to get my blades under me and am now thinking about whether I want to go the private lesson route.

However, I'm an adult now (lol) and my parents are no longer paying for my skating. :LOL: I know coaching rates vary based on experience and location, but would anyone be able to give me an idea of a rate range for a 20 or 30 minute private lesson these days? I'm in Southern California if that helps. Inflation is real and I just want to get an idea of whether it would even be somewhat within my budget to begin with. I'm quickly being reminded of how expensive this awesome sport is! Thank you!
In that area just for coaches, anywhere from 30-50 USD, depending on the coaches level.

ayakashi

Rinkside
In that area just for coaches, anywhere from 30-50 USD, depending on the coaches level.

Yup can confirm! The coaches at the rink I go to in socal are all $35-50 per half hour aside from one that is $67.50 per half hour and some that don’t have any pricing listed at all on the pamphlet (I assume that means they’re really pricey or selective of their students :shrug:).

As a super super beginner adult I chose one of the coaches who charges $35 per half hour since I found the $50 coaches were the ones listed as having competed at the national level and specializing in choreography, advanced jump technique, spins, etc. I feel that those are not things I need to focus on right now and I’m content as long as I get a good foundation/solid basics. Another concern for me when picking my coach was I wanted to be sure to pick one that has experience teaching adults too and tried to keep an eye out during public sessions for what each coaches lessons are like and what variety of students they tend to teach. I’m more than satisfied on that front with my current coach! (very glad I didn’t have to try a whole array of coaches before finding one whose teaching style aligns with my learning style)

bruingrl

Rinkside
Yup can confirm! The coaches at the rink I go to in socal are all $35-50 per half hour aside from one that is $67.50 per half hour and some that don’t have any pricing listed at all on the pamphlet (I assume that means they’re really pricey or selective of their students :shrug:).

As a super super beginner adult I chose one of the coaches who charges $35 per half hour since I found the $50 coaches were the ones listed as having competed at the national level and specializing in choreography, advanced jump technique, spins, etc. I feel that those are not things I need to focus on right now and I’m content as long as I get a good foundation/solid basics. Another concern for me when picking my coach was I wanted to be sure to pick one that has experience teaching adults too and tried to keep an eye out during public sessions for what each coaches lessons are like and what variety of students they tend to teach. I’m more than satisfied on that front with my current coach! (very glad I didn’t have to try a whole array of coaches before finding one whose teaching style aligns with my learning style)
Your rink has a pamphlet with rates?? Man, I can't find anything like that anywhere. Lol.

I've only been back on the ice for a month and want to give it more time to build back my skating muscles before investing in a coach again, so I've been taking Learn to Skate classes. In four weeks I had four different coaches. 😆 The good part is, as you said, I get exposure to different coaches and their teaching styles. The bad part is when you find an amazing coach and learn they're just guest teaching that day and are actually based at a rink that's far away. 🤦🏻‍♀️

desertskates

Medalist
I can confirm $40-$60 per half hour in Southern California depending on the coach. At least as of late 2020, when I last lived in the area.
Best of luck with your continued return, and enjoy! I found the adult skating community in SoCal to be super kind and welcoming :)

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
My coach is $70cad per hour. I see her once a week and we get so much done. Junior coaches are considerably less - like $25/hr but also less experienced. More importantly you need to find a coach that fits your needs and who knows how to teach adults.

kinari

Rinkside
Country
United-States

I have 2 coaches and they both cost $45 for a 30 min lesson, but I don't live in CA so prices might be different