Promising skaters who never fulfilled expectations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Promising skaters who never fulfilled expectations

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I disagree with you. I know these poeple probably wanted to achieve a lot mroe than they did....
I've read interviews with Matt Savoie in which he's expressed content with how much he achieved in skating (i.e., making it to the Torino Olympics and skating well there), especially considering he always wanted to balance his competitive skating career with his educational/professional goals. And he did! Most admirably, IMHO.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Curious why a couple mentioned Savoie? I am a big fan of his, but I thought he pretty much did what he wanted in the sport, given that he had outside interests (graduate degree and then law school)? Or was there some other way his potential was neglected or unrealized? Please share your thoughts!

I always thought that Savoie could have accomplished much more as a skater (such as Nat titles, and World and Oly medals) if he was willing to postpone his outside interests while he concentrated on skating -- IMO, it is simply too difficult for most people to maintain a high level in both education and sports at the same time. I think it significant that many people put certain educational ambitions on "hold" while they competed (even Sarah Hughes took some time off to train for Olys) and others (such as Wylie) didn't have their best skates until after graduation.

Savoie's potential as a skater was not so much unrealized as it was sacrificed to to the decision to do it all at the same time.

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Matt Savoie (was undermarked), Angela (nerves), Jenny (problems), Ann Patrice, (seemed unhappy skating). NNN (injuries) and I'll add Deana Stellato to the list (Injuries).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Katy Taylor had a stress fracture in her foot, so she took this season off. It is also her senior year in high school, so the possibility exists that she will opt for college instead of coming back to competitive figure skating.

gio

Medalist
-Tonya Harding = She could have won a WCH and an Olympic with the program she has skated at SA in 1991.
-Julia Soldatova, Viktoria Volkhova and Elena Sokolova = Russian Fed faults maybe???
-Yoshie Onda
-Nicole Bobek
-Angela Nikodinov
-Mikkeline Kierkgaard
-Anna Rechnio
-Tatyana Malinina

Last edited:

tae04

On the Ice
Nicole Bobek... She should have been a World Champion. She could have been a champion, multiple world medalist, olympic medalist if she ever stayed dedicated.

alicelouise

Rinkside
Promising skaters

I think sometimes people lose perspective. These skaters you've mentioned have attained a lot; World Junior Championships, National, European, and World medals. A medaless trip to the Olympics is to be commended as well. There are thousands of skaters in every country who have worked hard and haven't come close to attaining these levels.

A given skater's peak may be a Bronze Medal at Jr. Worlds. Afterwards, who knows what can happen. It can be a growth spurt, loss of interest, and injury. Getting to Sr. Nationals in Novice by the skin of your teeth one year may be it. That's still impressive.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Question is whose expectations are these skaters fulfilling theirs or ours? Most non figure skaters fail to realize just how difficult it is to become a champion skater. There are many great skaters who along the way don't make it to the top, but this does not mean a skater has failed to live up to expectations. Competitive skating is not for everyone. Some skaters hang in there for various reasons while others try it and move on. There is no shame in a skaters' opting to leave competitive skating - whether they have lived up to our expectations or not is not really important. It's easy to sit at home and watch a championship on tv and criticize a skater when they are having a tough time out there. We have no idea what is going on in that skater's life at the time. I just enjoy watching each skater and hope that they are enjoying what they are doing. Figure skating should be a joy to do not tedious. Sometimes competitive skating does kill the joy a skater once felt. I think then it is wise for a skater to hang up his or her competitive skates when it becomes that.

backspin

On the Ice
While I agree that skaters sacrifice untold amounts to achieve the elite levels & that many do what they wanted to do & then leave---there are still some that we see potential greatness in, & are saddened to never get to see it fully blossom.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jamie Silverstein & Justin Pekarak. I still watch videos of them & shake my head at what they already were when they were so, so young. I think they had the potential to be one of the truly great teams in the sport, ala Bourne & Kratz, or Krylova/Ovsiannikov, etc. We'll never know.

I totally get that she had major problems & simply couldn't continue, but I always wonder what would have happened if they had just changed coaches & found a more supportive environment for her. I also couldn't BELIEVE it when she came back---and went back to Igor! And, of course, ended up in the same boat all over again. :cry:

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
While I agree that skaters sacrifice untold amounts to achieve the elite levels & that many do what they wanted to do & then leave---there are still some that we see potential greatness in, & are saddened to never get to see it fully blossom.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jamie Silverstein & Justin Pekarak. I still watch videos of them & shake my head at what they already were when they were so, so young. I think they had the potential to be one of the truly great teams in the sport, ala Bourne & Kratz, or Krylova/Ovsiannikov, etc. We'll never know.

I totally get that she had major problems & simply couldn't continue, but I always wonder what would have happened if they had just changed coaches & found a more supportive environment for her. I also couldn't BELIEVE it when she came back---and went back to Igor! And, of course, ended up in the same boat all over again. :cry:

I have always felt Bourne and Kraatz were extremely over rated. They used to bore me and now that Bourne does solo dance for shows she bores me even more because since she has dance blades she doesn't jump so all of her program is a variation on the hydroblade. And I was infuriated at Worlds 2003 in Washington. Lobacheva and Averbukh are better skaters and skated better than them in the Free dance and every other event but for some reson B&K still won. Bourne and Kraatz put me to sleep.

backspin

On the Ice
I have always felt Bourne and Kraatz were extremely over rated. They used to bore me....... Bourne and Kraatz put me to sleep.

I was going to say "great like Torvill & Dean", but couldn't bring myself to do it. The point is, I think they could have been one of the legends of the sport.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the process of making the list in the future:
Mira Leung
Emily Hughes
BeBe Liang
Joannie Rochette
Andre Griazev

In the process of making the list in the future:
Mira Leung
Emily Hughes
BeBe Liang
Joannie Rochette
Andre Griazev
Hmm. With the possible exception of Bebe when she was 12, I never really expected anything outstanding from any of those skaters. (?)

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice

ohmygod, I so, so agree with you! Justin and Jamie...how could I have forgotten about them! To this day I can say they were my absolute favorite even against all the "greats"....They had a truly amazing chemstriy, and they just flew across the ice like no other.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Susan Humphries. She showed alot of promise when she was young, beating out regular top 10 performer at the World level, Karen Preston, for a spot to the 94 Olympics and Worlds, and after a crushing Olympics coming back to finish 9th in her first Worlds. She was expected to take the mantle in Canada over from Josse Chouinaurd. However she fizzled out with injuries and a fragile mental state.