Jill Trenary
Johnny & Tiffany Steigler
Sydne Vogel
Shelby Lyons
Tonia Kwiatkowski
Lisa Kwon

Rachael

On the Ice
Wow, I never saw Lisa Ervin, she was good!:agree: And does Carol Heiss-Jenkins still coach? If so where and does she have any known skaters any longer.
And what is Nicole Bobek up to?

Yes, Carol Heiss is still coaching. She still coaches at Winterhurst.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Lisa Ervin would definitely be #1 on my list; she was SO good and it broke my heart that she was never able to fulfill that potential.

I'd forgotten about the Steiglers until I ran across Johar's post -- the maturity they had at ages 13 and 15 (the first time I saw them) was just absolutely incredible; there were pairs in their 20s who didn't look that good. I could never understand what went off the rails there.

Someone mentioned Tatyana Malinina -- Actually, when you consider the fact that she had her best season (winning GPF, 4 Cs, and being 4th at Worlds) at age 25 or 26, one could argue that she may have EXCEEDED her potential. After all, she'd been around for quite a while before her surprising 8th place at Nagano, which kind of set the foundation for the following year.

My addition to this list would be Erik Larson -- anyone remember him?? For a couple of years in the late 80s, he, IMHO, had THE best performances at Nationals, but unfortunately never made the podium.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd forgotten about the Steiglers until I ran across Johar's post -- the maturity they had at ages 13 and 15 (the first time I saw them) was just absolutely incredible; there were pairs in their 20s who didn't look that good. I could never understand what went off the rails there.

Tiffany grew until she was nearly as tall as Johnny. He was no longer able to lift her with any confidence and they had some pretty nasty falls during their performances.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Tiffany grew until she was nearly as tall as Johnny. He was no longer able to lift her with any confidence and they had some pretty nasty falls during their performances.

I had a feeling it was probably something like that. One of the problems with two members of a pair being in the same gene pool, is that might have similar heights which in this day and age in pairs skating, is just not a good thing.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
Keyla Ohs? I thought she would eventually be Canadian Ladies Champion but it never happened for some unknown reason.

I heard she had issues and decided to quit. I heard (just rumor) she felt too much pressure for her mother and that the break off of her engagement to Elvis hd something to do with it?

passion

On the Ice
Naomi competed at Nationals again 2000, but she finished 8th. She was diagnosed with the same type of hip injury that Tara Lipinski had, and Naomi had surgery. After that, she was unable to return to competitive skating until she tried a comeback (I think it was the 2004-2005 season), but she didn't make it out of Sectionals. It was after that that she teamed up with Themi Leftheris and came back in Pairs.

What kind of hip injury was that? Sounds very serious.

passion

On the Ice
Keyla Ohs? I thought she would eventually be Canadian Ladies Champion but it never happened for some unknown reason.

I heard she had issues and decided to quit. I heard (just rumor) she felt too much pressure for her mother and that the break off of her engagement to Elvis hd something to do with it?

She was engaged with Elvis?!!! Many years ago she got a job at Joe Fortes restaurant, but apparently was let go.

alicelouise

Rinkside
Great Expectations

Keep in mind if the skaters are satisfied with what they did; we should be as well.

I remember seeing NNN in 1999. It was great watching her. I know it's disappointing that she didn't make the 2002 Olympic Team. The 1999 Nationals were still great.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
1. Tiffany Stiegler. She had so much natural talent and charisma. She always reminded me very much of Ekaterina Gordeeva, in terms of her artistry, musicality, and ability to relate to the audience. She was just someone you enjoyed watching. Very unfortunate she wasn't able to achieve her goals. Is it too late for her to find another partner?

2. Nathalie Krieg. This Swiss skater from the early 1990s is not much remembered now, but she had some of the most amazing spins I've ever seen! Mind-blowingly fast and amazing positions. She did the Biellman back when it was still relatively rare. Wonder what happened to her.

3. Jamie Silverstein/Justin Pekarek. Others have mentioned them. They were such a talented, incredibly musical team. The first time I saw them, I thought, "They'll be World champions someday." Very unfortunate that they split. I'm glad for Jamie's sake that she came back with Ryan O'Meara and made the Olympics, but their partnership was nothing like what she had with Pekarek.

4. Cynthia Phaneuf. I thought she had a lot of promise when she came on the scene a couple years ago. As a commentator said at the time, she had the "It" factor. That indefinable quality that makes a skater special. I hope she can regain that and be successful in her comeback.

laceup

On the Ice
Johar - just to let you know Fedor A. is back and in a big way - huge 3Axel and everything else but the "Q". He did take a few years off to be a model but he was back in full force - and looking as gorgeous as ever :love: - at the senior Challenge event (which he won). It will be interesting to see him in a few weeks at Canadians to see how he fits into the mix of men. Jeff is going to have to skate his heart out to keep Patrick, Fedor, Chris and so on at bay.