Putin's anti-gay laws and Sochi Olympics | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Putin's anti-gay laws and Sochi Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
So rainbow fingernails are fine, but waving a flag is where people draw the line. :unsure: What about waving a tiny flag? Or facepainting a rainbow?

Here's a question: if waving a rainbow flag is propaganda, how will children be aware of it being propaganda? Until somebody actually explains to them what it is, it's just a rainbow, right?

Or perhaps Russia should ban rainbows altogether. But what if it rains and a rainbow appears? Somebody think of the children! :eek:
Reminds me of this ridiculousness: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/08/censorship-gone-too-far-canadian-catholic-school-bans-rainbows/

Are you in favor of hooliganism?:confused: If not, why do you try to make a mess there? Such suggestions in your this post could almost use a word "despicable" to describe.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm not quite sure I understand what your post is trying to say, or what suggestions in my post could be described as 'despicable'. Please clarify.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know about Russia, but the Hooligan run in South Central Alaska is only during April-May, so I think the Olympics next winter are safe. ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
and this is the proof that just made it blatant :disapp:
the average Russian, will tell you the mindset of Isinbayeva http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23717242

"We are very afraid about our nation because we consider ourselves normal, standard people," said Isinbayeva.

She has the Right to have her Own View you disgusting cultural supermacists
look at these comments, you have no rights whatsoever that is her opinion !!

Here is what American middle-distance runner Nick Symmonds, who won the silver medal in the 800 meters said. Perhaps it will clarify why Isinbayeva's comments got the reception that they did:

"Oh, my god. I can't believe she said that. It's bad," Symmonds told the AP. "For Yelena to come out and say we are normal, standard Russian citizens — I'm paraphrasing here — and we don't stand for that. "I want to say to Yelena, 'You understand a very large portion of your citizens here are gay and lesbian people. They are standard people, too. They were created this way. For you to tell them that they're not normal and standard, that's what we're taking an issue with.' That's why we have to continue to demonstrate and to speak out against the ignorance that she's showing."

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Here is what American middle-distance runner Nick Symmonds, who won the silver medal in the 800 meters said. Perhaps it will clarify why Isinbayeva's comments got the reception that they did:

"Oh, my god. I can't believe she said that. It's bad," Symmonds told the AP. "For Yelena to come out and say we are normal, standard Russian citizens — I'm paraphrasing here — and we don't stand for that. "I want to say to Yelena, 'You understand a very large portion of your citizens here are gay and lesbian people. They are standard people, too. They were created this way. For you to tell them that they're not normal and standard, that's what we're taking an issue with.' That's why we have to continue to demonstrate and to speak out against the ignorance that she's showing."

she means standard is majority of the russian people :disapp:
her voice is what is agreed by most of the russian population, wether you like it or not

and how did he know a very large portion of the Russian population is LGBT :unsure:
when more than 80% are still against the LGBT, maybe than will change in 50 or 100 years or never
but you have to respect what has been approved law in another country, ironic right the only people people protesting
this are non russian citizen themselves but foreigners, I repeat you have no right and respect once you are on the countries border
even the USOC has mentioned that

they do not see a color in LGBT, the LGBT in Russia are very agressive and tends to cause disruption for the public events
as cited by examples earlier, it is labeled hooliganism in Russia ( or public disruption ), perhaps if they minimize this they may have gotten a bit more sympathy from the russian people.

gmyers

Record Breaker

He is getting really annoying and irritating! Cultural imperialist.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
He is getting really annoying and irritating! Cultural imperialist.

majority, we dont stand for that , those are clear ignorant words

* first he is not russian - the russian people has another view and has spoken, see polls and statistics
* large portion of the people - :unsure:
* if he is so true for his cause I dare him to this to Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and many more as it is as he say majority of people disagrees with this

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So, because the majority of people discriminate against a minority, then that should be accepted because that is the opinion of the majority? You realise that in Nazi Germany, the majority of Germans were anti-Semitic, and agreed (whether by choice or by law) that Jews should be persecuted. Whether by law or by choice, Russians are forced to adopt an anti-LGBT stance. Obviously most Russian opinion will be anti-gay because the law says that having a pro-gay stance will face prosecution. These very laws prevent them from actually stating that they don't agree with them. Even if a Russian did have a pro-gay stance, they would be feared into not admitting it because of these laws.

I also don't get what Saudi Arabia has to do with this. a) We're talking about Russia, and b) people do fly the rainbow flag in Saudi Arabia and advocate LGBT rights, albeit at great personal risk.

I don't get why saying that people shouldn't face discrimination or persecution, and should be treated with dignity like everyone else is considered cultural imperialism or trying to force Western ideals. It's essentially saying that human rights are Western ideals, and have no place in Russia.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
So, because the majority of people discriminate against a minority, then that should be accepted because that is the opinion of the majority? You realise that in Nazi Germany, the majority of Germans were anti-Semitic, and agreed (whether by choice or by law) that Jews should be persecuted. Whether by law or by choice, Russians are forced to adopt an anti-LGBT stance. Obviously most Russian opinion will be anti-gay because the law says that having a pro-gay stance will face prosecution. These very laws prevent them from actually stating that they don't agree with them. Even if a Russian did have a pro-gay stance, they would be feared into not admitting it because of these laws.

so typical, this law does not equate whatsoever to Nasizm
as I mentioned before, Isinbayeva did not commit a Nazi like crime by stating her opinion

read Russian history and culture and you will know the mindset of an average russian

gmyers

Record Breaker
Not one athlete competing in Beijing criticized anything about china at all! Now there is just a stampede among athletes against Russia? This is just lack of respect! Of feeling total superiority to Russians while they respected all chinas laws.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
read Russian history and culture and you will know the mindset of an average russian

Do they really want to know that much?:unsure:

Not one athlete competing in Beijing criticized anything about china at all! Now there is just a stampede among athletes against Russia? This is just lack of respect! Of feeling total superiority to Russians while they respected all chinas laws.

Are you kidding? Don't you know that fight for the right to be able to kiss in the public is fight for the highest human right of all?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

you will know it is an 800 year old inferiority complex and xenophobia to russian culture
considering europes borders would have be different if it wasnt for Russian in the Golden Horde
ironic isnt it ?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
so typical, this law does not equate whatsoever to Nasizm
as I mentioned before, Isinbayeva did not commit a Nazi like crime by stating her opinion

I'm not sure what to make of this. I never called her a Nazi. I was saying that in Nazi Germany the vast majority of the country were discriminatory, whether they actually were anti-Semitic or whether the government proscribed that they be (even if they weren't) or face consequences. Similarly, with these laws, the vast majority of Russians are discriminating against LGBT people - whether they actually are homophobic/anti-gay, or whether the government proscribed that they be or face consequences.

As for Russian history and culture, how about the mindset of these "average Russians"? Nijinsky, Tchaikovsky....
http://www.advocate.com/arts-entert...-let-vladimir-putin-forget-were-gay?page=full

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'm not sure what to make of this. I never called her a Nazi. I was saying that in Nazi Germany the vast majority of the country were discriminatory, whether they actually were anti-Semitic or whether the government proscribed that they be (even if they weren't) or face consequences. Similarly, with these laws, the vast majority of Russians are discriminating against LGBT people - whether they actually are homophobic/anti-gay, or whether the government proscribed that they be or face consequences.

As for Russian history and culture, how about the mindset of these "average Russians"? Nijinsky, Tchaikovsky....
http://www.advocate.com/arts-entert...-let-vladimir-putin-forget-were-gay?page=full

Tchakovsky, Njinsky were not yoru average russians and they compoed most of their work when they immigrated already

you seems to imply that this attitude is recent and it was this law and the government that has cause the population to shift their stance
I suggest you see videos what the LGBT do in Russia, as I have said they get little sympathy because of mass public disturbance and also you need to learn how a russian thinks, in fact go outside Canada, I have traveled to many parts of Asia, in Europe and the Middle East :yes:
really now, aside from mass public disturbance on it what does rainbow flag have to do with Russian Navy Day ? :scratch:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Then the laws should advocate against public disturbances. Not prevent same-sex couples from holding hands or kissing. Also, how is it a public disturbance if a gay couple adopts a child or tells people that they're happy?

And while I haven't seen videos of public disturbances, I have seen images of violence inflicted on LGBT people for waving a flag or kissing their partner. Does waving a flag or kissing the one you love merit a punch to the face?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Then the laws should advocate against public disturbances. Not prevent same-sex couples from holding hands or kissing. Also, how is it a public disturbance if a gay couple adopts a child or tells people that they're happy?

because its is most of the LGBT in Russia who does most of what Russia calls "public hooliganism"
watch some videos if you haven't seen what theyr'e up to, actually their own actions caused their own backlash which have very little support for russians
dont you think there are better ways advocating your rights than kissing on the eternal flame and putting a rainbow flag, even me would find that as desecration :disapp:

the LGBT in Russia need to be aggressive at the right place
this is their biggest mistake imo

Status
Not open for further replies.