Queer Eye for the Skate Girl | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Queer Eye for the Skate Girl

bronxgirl

Medalist
To all the posters who "complain" about skaters constantly changing their hair color, I would like to quote the words of Cynde Lauper -" Girls just Wanna Have Fun" :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

euterpe

Medalist
Soogar, Arakawa's wedgie was the most extreme in recent memory--nearly 1/2 of her cheeks were exposed. The costume couldn't have been comfortable to skate in, either. If she didn't want to spend the $$ for a new costume, she could have had the black costume altered.

Looking at those pictures of Sarah (most recent one first) really show how drastically different she looks now compared with her Olympic season and earlier.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
BittyBug said:
Certainly in ice dance, hair coloring seems to be a rite of passage regardless of country of origin. (Non Russian examples include Melissa Gregory, Tanith Belbin and Shae Lynn Bourne.) Maybe it stems from ball room dancing's "regulation hair colors."
Tanith's a natural blonde, IIRC.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
soogar said:
I actually think that all of the American skaters are particularly well put together and well dressed. You don't see any snafus at Nationals.
I think Melissa Gregory proves this wrong.

BittyBug

On the Ice
boggartlaura said:
Tanith's a natural blonde, IIRC.
Did you not see her roots at Worlds? :eek: Look for pictures from when she was younger - she's a brunette.

BTW - As a "natural" blonde myself, I'm completely in favor of chemical enhancement. ;)

Lucy25 said:
My school is 95% Caucasian and this, I thought, was a good question because they have very little knowledge of any Asian people what so ever. To those of you who are Asian women, is it possible to be born with curly hair? Sorry if this is a weird question, but I don't really know what to tell my students.
Both of my cousin's toddler-aged daughters were born with curly hair. It's not common for Asian babies to be born with curly hair, but it happens. I hope that helps -- VietTerrific
There is diversity in any group, of course. But if you look at the cross section of someone's hair, Asians tend to have a round cross section, Europeans have an oval cross section, and Africans tend to have a cross section that is like a rounded triangle.

So then when the hair absorbs moisture from the air, hair with a round cross section just expands a little in length, but stays straight; oval-shaped European hair becomes wavy; and hair with a triangular cross section curls more tightly.

Something like that, I read once.

Mathman:)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Idleracer: One small correction: In your first Sarah photo, the lady on her right (our left) is not a Rockette. She's bellydancer extraordinare Amira Mor. I recognized her because I have her CD with her theme, a terrific piece of music!!! I'd love to see her dance in person. Lucky Sarah!!!

I think Sarah's hair color (natural) was medium brown. Of course, I've been coloring so long I wouldn't know my natural color if it leaped up and bit me, so far be it for me to truly know Sarah's!!! :laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
euterpe said:
Arakawa's very extreme wedgie at Worlds was due to the fact that she had outgrown that costume! She certainly could have done something about it, like wear a costume that fit her.

She wore the same black costume during the Grand Prix 3-4 months earlier, and it fit her then. At Worlds, the costume had to be 1.5 sizes too small. The dress she wore in the Worlds exhibition fit her fine and there was no wedgie.
Euterpe, I didn't remember that she wore that costume before so I checked out some of the comps she was in before and I thought the costume fit her nicely. She either gained some weight or the bandage on her leg was pushing the skin upward. It did look like the panty part of the costume didn't fit her on either side, so I couldn't blame the bandage too much. When I was at Skate Canada, the person who had the wedgie of all wedgies was Albena D. Basically it looked like she was wearing a thong. One of the ladies there said she sewed costumes for the skaters and even though wedgies happen they can be corrected by using double sided tape, even after the costume is made.

Dee

Lucy25

Final Flight
Thanks for the information on Asian hair.

I am still baffled by the comments about Sasha and red hair. Do you mean Sarah? Or has Sasha gone red?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I always thought Sasha was a redhead anyway -- well, maybe not a TRUE redhead, but at least an auburnhead. But then again, I'm color-blind so it could be blue for all I know.:D

euterpe

Medalist
Sasha may have experimented with lightening her hair a little (all brown hair has a little red in it), or she could have put in a temporary rinse, or some henna. Sometimes people use henna as a hair conditioning treatment.

Koroleva

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
This is so sad. :cry:

These threads are clearly intended to be fun and humorous. Apparently somepeople take things way to seriously. :rolleye: But my favorite token cliche line was "even Michelel does". :laugh: I'm just gonna start sticking that one on the end of every reply I make from now on, like MK is now some kind of infaliable thermomitor that all others are judged by, sort of like Mellanie in GWTW. "Well, if Mellanie says it's OK, than it must be OK!." :laugh:

Sorry to disappoint you but I just said that since I figured that you put Michelle above all other ladies. She dyes her hair as well which is why I would not say things about other people dying their hair. Great generalization you made there by the way.

Tanith has to be a very dark blond or at least a light brown. Her roots almost constantly show.

Lotta

On the Ice
What I truly hate : Asian girls sporting auburn hair.

I have mine DARK DARK brown. It's ugly if they're too LIGHT! I've seen two Asian girls in my school (one Japanese one Indian) who dyed their hair VERY light. The Japanese had hers blonde and I thought she was a white girl. *LOLZ* The Indian girl had hers light browne and didn't look correct with her complexion.

I love that pic of Michelle. :) *TAKES HER TO SAN FRANCISCO AND MARRIES HER* *giggles*

Hey, VietGirlTerrifa, love your Wicked. I am curious about this musical because I wrote the true story of the Wicked Witch of the West and the Wicked Witch of the South (this was before Glinda's time) long before this Johnny-come-lately appeared on the scene.

MM

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Thanks Mathman! Wow, I would love to read your story, Mathman. What happened to the fanfiction section of Goldenskate? I thought Goldenskate has the best skating fics of all of skating because there weren't just teenage romance stuff, they were well-written (and I knew you wrote some too Mathman ;).)

If you're interested Mathman, I posted a lot of "Wicked" and it's competitor for the Tony "Avenune Q" here:
http://p204.ezboard.com/fthebored43331frm8.showMessage?topicID=71.topic

Lotta

On the Ice
Viet: *LOLZ* Thanks. I guess I like to be big pimpin' it. ;) Or I just think that monogamy's cool. *giggles*

mpal2

Final Flight
Yazmeen said:
I think Sarah's hair color (natural) was medium brown. Of course, I've been coloring so long I wouldn't know my natural color if it leaped up and bit me, so far be it for me to truly know Sarah's!!! :laugh:

Right there with you Yaz. It's been 15 years since I last knew what my real hair color is. I started out blonde, then it became ashy so I started dying it. My mom's hair went from almost white blond during early childhood to almost black brunette by her 40's. I have a feeling I'm on the same path. I think at some point I would find out that my hair is dark brown now if I actually let the real color come out.