Drop foot | Golden Skate

Drop foot

tij

Rinkside
Hello.
I started skating 2 years ago and really love it
I'm an adult skater 50+
Unfortunately I was hospitalysed last year for serious medical condition. I now have foot drop on my right foot due to a nerve compression of the sciatic nerve. I need to wear a turbomed foot brace ( AFO). I would still like to skate but not sure if it will be possible. Have you seen people with foot braces skate before ? Any feedback. thanks to all.

midori green

On the Ice
Do you work with an orthotist? They might have ideas on how to modify or construct an AFO that would work with your skate. I've never seen it, but as a physical therapist I'm intrigued. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Reactions: tij

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You might be able to get away with using a soft version of AFO brace for while skating.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello.
I'm an adult skater 50+
Unfortunately I was hospitalysed last year for serious medical condition. I now have foot drop on my right foot due to a nerve compression of the sciatic nerve. I need to wear a turbomed foot brace ( AFO). I would still like to skate but not sure if it will be possible. Have you seen people with foot braces skate before ? Any feedback. thanks to all.
Can you do PT? I had foot drop and did PT and it went away. I had to shock the nerves with a TENS unit also.

Vicki7

On the Ice
I know of a lady who has skates with braces built into the boot - I believe she went through Riedell to get them custom made. I believe hers are AFOs as well but I'm not familiar with the details.

There are definitely options though.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hello.
I'm an adult skater 50+
About 30 years ago I smashed one ankle into a jigsaw puzzle falling down some stairs. I used crutches, a brace, sometimes a walker for about two years of therapy afterwards. However, I was back on the ice less than year after the accident because my boot held the ankle together better than a brace. I did buy new boots stiffer than my ability otherwise needed (and continue so to this day just because I came to prefer the rigid feel), but otherwise had no problems on the ice -- and I'm sure the psychological lift of skating again helped a lot, too!

At one club where I skated as a kid we had a man about your age who had lost his lower left leg just below the knee as a teenager. He and his wife did all the dances, performed in club shows, and did local dance competitions together. He partnered their daughter through all her dance tests to the Gold level. Freeskating, he did almost all the spin variations, and any jumps where he could take off and land on his "real" foot, the right one. I learned an inside Axel from watching him, and he did double loop jumps. His prosthetic leg seemed to act the way a brace would, so what you're wanting I'd say is quite possible. All the best!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
About 30 years ago I smashed one ankle into a jigsaw puzzle falling down some stairs. I used crutches, a brace, sometimes a walker for about two years of therapy afterwards. However, I was back on the ice less than year after the accident because my boot held the ankle together better than a brace. I did buy new boots stiffer than my ability otherwise needed (and continue so to this day just because I came to prefer the rigid feel), but otherwise had no problems on the ice -- and I'm sure the psychological lift of skating again helped a lot, too!

At one club where I skated as a kid we had a man about your age who had lost his lower left leg just below the knee as a teenager. He and his wife did all the dances, performed in club shows, and did local dance competitions together. He partnered their daughter through all her dance tests to the Gold level. Freeskating, he did almost all the spin variations, and any jumps where he could take off and land on his "real" foot, the right one. I learned an inside Axel from watching him, and he did double loop jumps. His prosthetic leg seemed to act the way a brace would, so what you're wanting I'd say is quite possible. All the best!
I'm so glad you came on to share this. I have said in multiple threads that my sports ortho told me long ago that my ankle would be fine in my boots (even injured) b/c my stiff boots support my ankle better than a brace.

tij

Rinkside
I know of a lady who has skates with braces built into the boot - I believe she went through Riedell to get them custom made. I believe hers are AFOs as well but I'm not familiar with the details.

There are definitely options though.
Thank you , this is really encouraging. Definitely something to look into.

tij

Rinkside
Do you work with an orthotist? They might have ideas on how to modify or construct an AFO that would work with your skate. I've never seen it, but as a physical therapist I'm intrigued. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
Thank you. I am working with a prosthesis for my winter boot AFO. I will bring my skates and see if they can do anything.

tij

Rinkside

Wow thank you. That's so incredible and really motivating. I certainty hope I will be able to accomplish like you both .

tij

Rinkside
Hello
Happy new year to all. I finally met my prothesis and they think that i might be able to getaway without wearing à brace if my skate is stiff enought aroung my ankle. I havent tried it yet.
@midori. Interested in seeing the brace you stumbled upon.
Tx