Question about Jason Brown | Golden Skate

Question about Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He has not said.

The withdrawal was marked for the day after the GPF was cancelled, so it was not as though he cancelled in anticipation of GPF. His social media has indicated he is training (although the timing of his posts is always vague), so injury does not *appear* to be the reason.

My guess: he accomplished what he wanted to accomplish by qualifying for GPF, the risks of traveling to a Challenger he doesn't "need" are not worthwhile when he can stay in Canada and train for US Nats.

Just a guess. :)

Skating47

On the Ice
He has not said.

The withdrawal was marked for the day after the GPF was cancelled, so it was not as though he cancelled in anticipation of GPF. His social media has indicated he is training (although the timing of his posts is always vague), so injury does not *appear* to be the reason.

My guess: he accomplished what he wanted to accomplish by qualifying for GPF, the risks of traveling to a Challenger he doesn't "need" are not worthwhile when he can stay in Canada and train for US Nats.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I have a theory that maybe USFSF advised him to skip this competition because of new variant concerns. They wouldn't want him to test positive in the coming period. Or maybe his team since Junhwan also withdrew. But the exact reason is a mystery to me too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
He has not said.

I agree with this. He's had a great season and there are no benefits in going to Golden Spin as far as ranking points or his standing with the Fed. He's already in the best shape of his life and there is no point in risking the travel at this point.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm also guessing that Canada may again close their borders if this variant gets more widespread - in which case he would be stuck in the US without his coaches. This way he makes one trip to the US for Nationals and if he can't get back into Canada it isn't such a big deal. Now Worlds is a different story and I'm hoping he not only qualifies but that Worlds doesn't get cancelled.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm also guessing that Canada may again close their borders if this variant gets more widespread - in which case he would be stuck in the US without his coaches. This way he makes one trip to the US for Nationals and if he can't get back into Canada it isn't such a big deal. Now Worlds is a different story and I'm hoping he not only qualifies but that Worlds doesn't get cancelled.
The current trend is to open the Canada/US border, not restrict it further. Canadian residents can now cross to the US at a land border for up to 72 hours without a test on either end.

The only new restriction is that vaccinated people flying from Canada to the US need their test 24 hrs instead of 72 hours before departure. That's part of a change the US just made for travelers from all destinations.

But you're right that things can change without notice. Canada recently put in a rule that made it impossible for Canadians to fly to Canada from South Africa. Most flights are through Frankfurt, and there was a conflict between Canadian and German rules that made return impossible! Canada has now made a limited-time exception to allow Canadians and permanent residents to return, subject to testing and quarantine on landing.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While some of you mention that Brown and Cha withdrew... Orzel and Phan, as well as Orser were there... So... I don't think it's a "training in Canada" or "team" decision... but rather a personal decision

Absolutely agree about a personal decision. By qualifying for GPF, Jason doesn't "need" help from Golden Spin to establish his rep with the US Fed. It is what it is at this point. In fact, he would have risked the opposite with a bad comp.

As much as I like Conrad and Jo, they need the competition mileage and good results could have helped their standing with Skate Canada.

So my point, at least, about staying in Canada was travel. It's one thing to travel for a week and a half to compete in the GPF. It's another, when you don't feel like you need the mileage or the rep, to do it for Golden Spin.

Personally, I believe Jason probably consulted with Tracy in making this decision; it would not be like him to make it solo without his team's input. So at least she didn't need to go to Croatia:laugh:

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
While some of you mention that Brown and Cha withdrew... Orzel and Phan, as well as Orser were there... So... I don't think it's a "training in Canada" or "team" decision... but rather a personal decision
It could be a personal decision, but it could also be a team decision since Jason and Jun have high chances of being at the Olympics, while Orzel and Phan don't (so they don't wanna risk a positive test so close to the Olympics). In Jason's case it could have been USFSF advising him and not the team.

Gold and a season's best score for him at GS was very possible since his injury gets more healed in time and he tends to score more the more he competes. IMO it could've been good for him to go in case Ilia or Jimmy score more than him at Nationals (not very likely IMO, but who knows). I would also see him very established with a top 5 score of over 270 at at least one comp before Nationals. But he's in a good place and a clear 3rd man despite him scoring lower than what could've been with more clean performances so far this season.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It could be a personal decision, but it could also be a team decision since Jason and Jun have high chances of being at the Olympics, while Orzel and Phan don't (so they don't wanna risk a positive test so close to the Olympics). In Jason's case it could have been USFSF advising him and not the team.

Gold and a season's best score for him at GS was very possible since his injury gets more healed in time and he tends to score more the more he competes. IMO it could've been good for him to go in case Ilia or Jimmy score more than him at Nationals (not very likely IMO, but who knows). I would also see him very established with a top 5 score of over 270 at at least one comp before Nationals. But he's in a good place and a clear 3rd man despite him scoring lower than what could've been with more clean performances so far this season.
An athlete's personal decision is usually in consultation with the coaching staff. What I implied is simply that skaters from the same skating club, sharing some of the same coaching staff still decided to go to Zagreb, because it suited them personally. What I meant was in opposition to those mentioning travel risks or restrictions, especially for Canada,etc. If other athletes from the same club are going, it was then not a decision imposed by a team or a club or a country, but a personal decision. I repeat, a personal decision for an athlete will obviously include discussion with their main coach. Not sure how I can explain this better.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason has stated in a new article the reasons for his withdrawal from Golden Spin:

Before qualifying for the Grand Prix Final, Brown had intentions of competing at the final ISU Challenger Series event of the season at Golden Spin of Zagreb in Croatia. Even after qualifying for the Final, Brown was still listed on the roster for Golden Spin and could have competed at the event which was held Dec.8-11, the same time as when the Grand Prix Final was to occur. However, after discussions with his coach Tracy Wilson, Brown chose not to compete in Croatia and selected to spend the extra time in Toronto, preparing for Nationals.

“It was a tough decision,” Brown explained, noting that after the Final was cancelled, he did consider going to Croatia. “The more we thought about it – we were like, ‘We are four weeks out from the U.S. Championships. We made it this far safely.’ So we kind of made the decision that I was going to stay back.”

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“It was a tough decision,” Brown explained, noting that after the Final was cancelled, he did consider going to Croatia. “The more we thought about it – we were like, ‘We are four weeks out from the U.S. Championships. We made it this far safely.’ So we kind of made the decision that I was going to stay back.”

It has to be nerve-wracking for all the athletes. They've managed COVID this entire season, but we're now at the point where an infection could cause irrepairable harm. There's no recovery time before the biggest events.