Quick Olympic impressions 2022 | Golden Skate

Quick Olympic impressions 2022

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
There are of course threads about each specific event but Olympic games are more than that. For example, figure skaters were the flag bearers not just for Mexico (there is a thread, I know) but also for Belgium, Lithuania, Israel... did I miss anyone? :)

For me, Winter Olympics have always been like a big bowl of dessert with figure skating as a cherry on top and I am starting to get into the feeling: freestyle, figure skating, biathlon... What are your impressions thus far?

In spite of everything that is unusual about this edition of the Games, I am enjoying them with the same enthusiasm as always. Besides figure skating, so far network TV in the US has featured curling and moguls -- two sprots that I normally don't follw, which makes them a special treat every four years.

katymay

Medalist
Really strange Olympics. I get that we want everything sanitized and in the bubble-but the volunteers in the white space suits reminds me of a scene out of The Stand. What crowd there is-I can't figure out if they are even alive or maniquins. Are Tara and Johnny even in Beijing? Or are they in some studio in NY? I pay the top amount for Peacock, and yet there are more commercials than sports. The wonderful NBC tech box innovation sucks. I hate it. And then we have Putin. And a speech by the leader of the Communist Party. This Olympics is- I"m sorry-but Depressing. It is almost like some Dystopian Hunger Games.
I enjoyed the pandemic Tokyo Olympics-yes, it wasn't what it should have been, but it was still fun and upbeat, and it was still the Olympics. I don't know what this is, but it isn't good.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There are of course threads about each specific event but Olympic games are more than that. For example, figure skaters were the flag bearers not just for Mexico (there is a thread, I know) but also for Belgium, Lithuania, Israel... did I miss anyone? :)

For me, Winter Olympics have always been like a big bowl of dessert with figure skating as a cherry on top and I am starting to get into the feeling: freestyle, figure skating, biathlon... What are your impressions thus far?
Michal Brezina was flag bearer for Czech Republic, Brendan Kerry was for Australia.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Really strange Olympics. I get that we want everything sanitized and in the bubble-but the volunteers in the white space suits reminds me of a scene out of The Stand. What crowd there is-I can't figure out if they are even alive or maniquins. Are Tara and Johnny even in Beijing? Or are they in some studio in NY? I pay the top amount for Peacock, and yet there are more commercials than sports. The wonderful NBC tech box innovation sucks. I hate it. And then we have Putin. And a speech by the leader of the Communist Party. This Olympics is- I"m sorry-but Depressing. It is almost like some Dystopian Hunger Games.
I enjoyed the pandemic Tokyo Olympics-yes, it wasn't what it should have been, but it was still fun and upbeat, and it was still the Olympics. I don't know what this is, but it isn't good.
There is a local Chinese audience. Tara and Johnny are in the US in a studio in CT, I think. Peacock changed their subscription level in mid-January and now have a Premium Plus for 5 dollars more a month and is ad free.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am pleased that they are taking place at all.

I think if you asked the skaters, would they rather have Olympics with precautions, or no Olympics at all, they would select Olympics with precautions. :)

I have been watching skating now for two years without crowds, so I guess I have become accustomed to it. When we can have crowds, that will be nice, but in the meantime, I'm happy to watch the skating we have.

Andrea82

Medalist
I think the full list of skating flagbearers was

Michael Brezina - Czech Republic
Donovan Carrillo - Mexico
Tina Garabedian - Armenia
Loena Hendrickx - Belgium
Brendan Kerry - Australia
Evgeni Krasnopolski - Israel
Morisi Kvitalashvili - Georgia
Vladimir Litvintsev - Azerbaijan
Oleksandra Nazarova - Ukraine
Paulina Ramanauskaitė and Deividas Kizala - Lithuania
Lindsay van Zundert - Netherlands

mrrice

Record Breaker
I miss the crowds too. I love supporting audiences. But, it's just not to be. I'm loving it that there are an Olympics at all.
Exactly, the teams are all in the same boat so, it's just something we need to get used to. Believe it or not, I still feel the energy from the performers. Watching team USA react to the performances of their teammates has been very exciting to see. I've been very happy watching up to this point

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's different for one sport and its audience to gather in one place, rather than dozens of sports. Neither China (nor Japan for that matter) wanted a superspreader event on their hands.
exactly... a hockey game in NYC is a hockey game in NYC with mostly USA/Canada resident-athletes ... the Olympics = so many sports, so many athletes from all over the world...