RA interview with MK mentions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

RA interview with MK mentions

Thanks MM about those additional paras of Rafael. With regard to this one:

Skaters here [I think "here" means "here in Russia"] are very different as well. You don’t need to make them work, they always know very well what they want. That’s another thing you need to learn if you live in the U.S. You need to remember that you are not a dictator, not a parent, but just that, a coach. You can suggest things, but can’t insist.... You can’t tell your skaters “you must”, because from their early days, they are raised with the expectation of having no obligations to anyone or anything...
I think he is referring to the Russian skaters as being more attentive to their coaches than the Americans are. Of course, that's a generalization. I wouldn't agree with him, but I do think the americans would participate more with the choreogapher than ignoring the coach.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think MK will go on to have a successful career in whatever she chooses to do. One thing that strikes me now is that she seems to like the adrenaline rush of competitive skating more than show skating... it'll probably be too late. OG isn't destined for everyone but hopefully everything else that she has accomplished will console her somewhat.

And about Asada- if she really does train like that I see her more as a flash in the pan...she might win worlds next year and maybe even the year after that but afterwards, injury or some unforeseen circumstance might take her out. Or, maybe she'll lighten up on those jumps and strive more for longevity as she gets older.

Red Dog, you are so awesome... great post!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I have no idea what [Cohen's] training methods are but having already suffered a significant back injury, and with a body that is tiny and fragile (as Tarasova said in the interview that RD mentioned here recently), she probably can't tolerate all the jumping practice that she might need, alas.

All the more reason why we won't see her again. :yes:

But this is not a Cohen thread.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha had her chance at World's this year to step out from what some say was the shadow of Kwan. She came in third. The only person who has ever held Sasha back is Sasha herself. She had many chances to beat Kwan for first place at Nationals and other events but always came up short.

MKFSfan

Medalist
OT but I wish those who like to complain about Sasha not practicing enough would look at it this way. I have no idea what her training methods are but having already suffered a significant back injury, and with a body that is tiny and fragile (as Tarasova said in the interview that RD mentioned here recently), she probably can't tolerate all the jumping practice that she might need, alas.

I never did get how any arm-chair fan could accuse an elite skater as being "lazy." I know some skaters have been rumored to be difficult or not following the training regime of their training staff in order to maximize their potential (Bobek comes to mind...) I think with Sasha, the issue seemed to be she had her own agenda with how to run practice sessions and preferred to spend more time on the elements that she likes or came more natural to her-spins and spirals. I don't think that makes her lazy, maybe frusturating to the coaches who felt she should train the weak aspects of her skating more. At least, that is how I've interpreted some interviews where other readers read it as "so-and-so called Sasha lazy."

Same thing for Michelle. People have lambasted Michelle for taking it easy, playing it safe for years. Well, now that the severity of her injury has come to light, I think it's pretty obvious why she chose the path she did these last 3, 4 years. The body can only take so much constant pounding.

I guess there is nothing more to say about Rafael's interview, but the beat goes on with the two retired or semi retired divas past performances.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Same thing for Michelle. People have lambasted Michelle for taking it easy, playing it safe for years. Well, now that the severity of her injury has come to light, I think it's pretty obvious why she chose the path she did these last 3, 4 years. The body can only take so much constant pounding.

Because no one knew of her injuries. Of course she was going to get criticized (and I was a part of that group, admittedly). But now that her injuries and troubles have been made public, I feel bad for her. She should have said something but I guess another poster said it perfectly...she likely wanted that OGM so bad she thought she could grit it out. Oh well...

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

Sasha had her chance at World's this year to step out from what some say was the shadow of Kwan. She came in third. The only person who has ever held Sasha back is Sasha herself. She had many chances to beat Kwan for first place at Nationals and other events but always came up short.

That's a bit unfair. Sasha also had the chance to stup out of the shadow of Kwan at the 2006 Olympics and she did it by winning the silver medal. And yes, a silver medal at the Olympics is something to be proud of. Unless you think Michelle's silver medal at the 1998 Olympics makes her a loser. (I hope not!)

MKFSfan

Medalist
^^^I gotta agree with that. How many LP performances has Sasha had that will go down in the books as a "great one"? Michelle won silver with a very good skate, no mistakes, with a program that on any other night, could have been an OGM worthy performance. Sasha's LP in Turin was not one to be mentioned as "a skate for the ages", no matter how some fans like to spin it as a "courageous" skate. I think skating with mistakes like that on the grandest stage of all stung more than not winning Gold.

Either way, I'm glad Sasha does have that silver medal, and at the very least, she had a wonderful Olympic moment with her SP.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That's a bit unfair. Sasha also had the chance to stup out of the shadow of Kwan at the 2006 Olympics and she did it by winning the silver medal. And yes, a silver medal at the Olympics is something to be proud of. Unless you think Michelle's silver medal at the 1998 Olympics makes her a loser. (I hope not!)

Sahsa's Silver was a gift. I am a fan of Sasha but it was a gift. COP was on her side that night. I don't care what she did after her two falls I would not have her in second. On the other hand her SP was brilliant. JMO

krenseby

Final Flight
^^^I gotta agree with that. How many LP performances has Sasha had that will go down in the books as a "great one"? Michelle won silver with a very good skate, no mistakes, with a program that on any other night, could have been an OGM worthy performance. .

Well what about Worlds 2005? Wasn't that Sasha's perfect LP skate? A skate without an error that could have won an OGM in 2006 and Gold at other worlds? I thought that she had attained the height of perfection in 2005 ;-)

nymkfan51

Medalist
Well what about Worlds 2005? Wasn't that Sasha's perfect LP skate? A skate without an error that could have won an OGM in 2006 and Gold at other worlds? I thought that she had attained the height of perfection in 2005 ;-)

No, she had a few errors in that program. She lurched forward on the 3F, but didn't touch down with her hand ... but then she stepped out of the 3S in her sequence. It was a nice performance, just not flawless.

MKFSfan

Medalist
As nymkfan51 said, that LP was not perfect, had mistakes, and she did not skate passionately, freely like Irina did that night. I kinda was expecting her to just let loose and have a great skate, knowing Irina pretty much had that competiton in the bad. Instead, I felt she was sort of tentative. She was dealing with a strained groin, so that may have been part of the reason.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It may have been perfect but was extremely drab (IMO). I dunno, just not a fan of any of her competitive pieces. The one that comes the closest to being OK, strangely enough is her FS this past season. Too bad she couldn't skate it great.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Her 2003 GPF and her LP from 2004 Worlds were probably the closest she came to a perfect free skate in a major competition.
Her LP at the cheesefest in Providence was perfect, but unfortunately, she could never duplicate something like that at Nats or Worlds.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Here are two candidates - her 2003 GPF final FS (Rachmaninov) and her 2004 Marshall's Swan Lake. The first has one popped jump, the second one is perfect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ec1QxZS9hg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54jc743mqY

I was actually present for the 2nd Cheesefest, and while she was clean, it wasn't one of those exhilerating, "once-in-a-lifetime" skates where you know the skater and the crowd will carry that with them for a long time. That's what I meant. When I think of what Sasha's most exciting moments in competition, I think of Olympics SPs (both) and Worlds 2004 SP. JMHO!