Random Confessions | Page 187 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
After Montreal experience, all Canadian competitions for me are the best :laugh:
I'll need to visit again sometime.
Skate Canada might work out for you if Piper and Paul and B/B are going ;) I expect Max and Deanna will also be there.

For me, I loosely plan 3 JGPs this time (time to unlock new destination after Ostrava and Gdańsk hehe), Warsaw Cup, GP Espoo (aka my annual Finland vacation) and Junior Worlds.
I WOULD love to be in Europe and attend so many events. Crossing the ocean seems too much to do for me on repeated times. I dream of Finland every other night. One day...
The question is...can I push for Nepela (one of sentimental faves and where I always met one of my biggest skating friends) and for Boston (after Montreal, the expectations are that crowns caravan will also make appearance in the US).
Did you have problems at all with crown wire and/or other material ? I am wondering it if will be harder with the USA... just from my own experience traveling there. It's quite strict with luggage etc. (at least my impression... I may be wrong)
The challenge is definitely about paid off time at work (I have 26 days remaining) plus...can I get consistent with crafts prep over the spring/summer? I have new stuff in mind too, but crowns will remain a staple :)
I think it's so cool that you can combine two hobbies/passions into one with making crafts for skaters ! That's awesome. When I was younger, I was dreaming of playing music for Patrick haha ;) he got Eric Radford instead LOL

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
Seeing the media and astonished because the scandal in the news about an "earthquake" 4.6 Richter scale in tristates , for me isn't earthquake is just a seism. For us (in Chile) 4,6 Richter magnitude scale isn't stronger thinking that we had some earthquake in history and one was the strongest on the world history 8,9 Richter magnitude in 2010.

When was the earthquake in 2010 was about to go to vacations for a week in the day before it (February 27th) to Concepción (the place where was the epicenter at 500 kms from Santiago) I got the tickets for 10pm. but forgot my luggage in home and had to come back for my luggage and when was back to terminal with it I lost the bus . It was like an guardian angel was protecting me because if I would got into that bus. On the time there was the earthquake I would be on the highway in my way and that highway got seriously damaged also with tsunami and maybe I wouldn't be alive.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Seeing the media and astonished because the scandal in the news about an "earthquake" 4.6 Richter scale in tristates , for me isn't earthquake is just a seism. For us (in Chile) 4,6 Richter magnitude scale isn't stronger thinking that we had some earthquake in history and one was the strongest on the world history 8,9 Richter magnitude in 2010.

When was the earthquake in 2010 was about to go to vacations for a week in the day before it (February 27th) to Concepción (the place where was the epicenter at 500 kms from Santiago) I got the tickets for 10pm. but forgot my luggage in home and had to come back for my luggage and when was back to terminal with it I lost the bus . It was like an guardian angel was protecting me because if I would got into that bus. On the time there was the earthquake I would be on the highway in my way and that highway got seriously damaged also with tsunami and maybe I wouldn't be alive.
It depends on which coast you live. On the Atlantic side, earthquakes are quite rare and even small ones cause more excitement. On the Pacific coast, where you and I (in the Vancouver area) both live, we get more and much bigger quakes. I've been in several quakes almost as strong as the one you described, that ran from Alaska down through BC into the US, to California.

But on this coast we don't get hurricanes like they do in the east. There was a hurricane when I was living in Ottawa for a year and I was quite nervous. The Ontario-born people I was working with at the time shrugged it off as "just a little one". It just depends on what you're used to.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A little thing, but I wanted to tell Beatrice, @NoNameFace about it, this picture came up on my twitter feed and I immediately thought of you :coffee:
GKfmhFBXsAAyYiS.jpg

A 14th century lady making a flower crown. I will see this now every time we talk about them...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
A little thing, but I wanted to tell Beatrice, @NoNameFace about it, this picture came up on my twitter feed and I immediately thought of you :coffee:
View attachment 7826
A 14th century lady making a flower crown. I will see this now every time we talk about them...
Wow, thank you so much!
It really moves me when someone, GS or else, messages me with something that reminds them of flower crowns and, to the extension, myself. I'm supper happy (and proud of sorts) this crafting quest makes positivity.
And in a way, the illustration shows dated version of me, glued to the seat in the arena, making flowers, weaving them or making finishings :laugh:. The funny part? Last night I've dreamed again of flower crowns and was meeting skaters ;)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Eclipse 2024
Follow path of totality..
No commentary .. some music..

Interesting, :thank:. A non-event where I live, I'm afraid. I'd read that it would only be a 17% eclipse on the Pacific coast anyway, and this morning in Vancouver it was so dark and rainy to begin with we wouldn't have seen the sun in any case. I glanced out the window occasionally from my desk, but the cloud cover was never noticeably darker or lighter all morning. I live under the penthouse in my building, and my neighbours there had bought glasses and set up a viewing station on their patio, and then had to come inside because they were getting rained on. Supposed to have peaked around 11:30 a.m. here. It didn't. :(

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I am in Connecticut .. supposed to be 90% totality but not truly..
But it did get darker.. not really overcast but eerie..

Maine from TV stream

IMG_2940.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2949.jpeg
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 8

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We were supposed to be getting 23 minutes of a partial solar eclipse (maximum 32.5%), but it was raining and the sky was covered in clouds. :mad:

All week, Sky News had been making a big deal that they would be having LIVE coverage of the total solar eclipse from 19:00 BST to 22:00 BST. So, I decided to watch it.

Just before 19:00 BST, I decided to have a flick through the other news channels to see if any of them would be doing dedicated coverage of the eclipse as well and found that CNN had already been on air for an hour, and that it wasn't far off totality in the first place that was being featured! :drama:

I switched over to Sky News as planned when their coverage started. And they did their coverage as a split screen - two small boxes at the left of the screen, and a big box at the right. In the top left box they had a close-up shot of the eclipse from NASA TV; in the bottom left box they had a map showing the progress of totality across North America; and in the big box they had... shots of people reacting to what they were seeing! :palmf:

For goodness sake, we're watching to see the eclipse! We're not watching to see other people watching the eclipse! Put the eclipse in the big box, and the shots of people on the ground in the wee box!

If you want to see what I mean, here is the archived livestream on the Sky News YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAaZ9jm-A9s

After about 20 minutes, we got fed up with Sky News and switched to CNN. Just as they went to adverts! :rolleye: So, we went back to Sky News, even though their coverage was useless. After another 20 minutes (after they had finished showing the eclipse in Russellville, Texas), I thought "hey, I wonder if you can get NASA TV over here". So, I went onto the computer, and found out that it is broadcast on NASA's YouTube channel. So I put it on. And they were just starting to show the eclipse in Kerrville, Texas.

The NASA TV coverage was brilliant!!! Whenever they were showing shots on the ground, they would put it in a small box in the corner and have the close-up of the eclipse in a big box. But, most of the time they had the close-up shot full screen.

I only had two complaints about their coverage. Although they had a progress map that they showed us on the few occasions when they went to the studio in Cape Canaveral (which I found funny, given that the eclipse wasn't anywhere near Florida!), it would have been nice to have seen it more often. Perhaps in a small permanent box in the corner of the screen. And that they did not continue the coverage when the eclipse moved into Canada.

That said, having the coverage end at 21:00 BST meant that my Dad was able to watch this week's episode of NCIS at the usual time, rather than watching it some other time, no doubt when I am looking to watch something!

If anybody wants to watch the NASA TV coverage, here is the link to the archived livestream on NASA's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MJY_ptQW1o

And you know what. After seeing how good the coverage was after I joined, I think I'll go back and watch up to that point! ;) :biggrin:

I had a look on Time And Date, and we don't have to wait long for my hometown to experience another partial solar eclipse - Saturday 29th March 2025. It'll be at a good time (10:02 GMT to 12:02 GMT) and it'll be bigger than yesterday's, reaching a maximum of 53.4%. :biggrin: And we'll have a total lunar eclipse 15 days earlier, although it is not at such a good time (03:57 GMT to 06:51 GMT) 😞

The next time that we'll have a total solar eclipse in my hometown is Monday 14th June 2151. Although it's at a good time of day (18:24 BST to 20:17 BST), somehow I don't think I'll see it...

CaroLiza_fan

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
We were supposed to be getting 23 minutes of a partial solar eclipse (maximum 32.5%), but it was raining and the sky was covered in clouds. :mad:

All week, Sky News had been making a big deal that they would be having LIVE coverage of the total solar eclipse from 19:00 BST to 22:00 BST. So, I decided to watch it.

Just before 19:00 BST, I decided to have a flick through the other news channels to see if any of them would be doing dedicated coverage of the eclipse as well and found that CNN had already been on air for an hour, and that it wasn't far off totality in the first place that was being featured! :drama:

I switched over to Sky News as planned when their coverage started. And they did their coverage as a split screen - two small boxes at the left of the screen, and a big box at the right. In the top left box they had a close-up shot of the eclipse from NASA TV; in the bottom left box they had a map showing the progress of totality across North America; and in the big box they had... shots of people reacting to what they were seeing! :palmf:

For goodness sake, we're watching to see the eclipse! We're not watching to see other people watching the eclipse! Put the eclipse in the big box, and the shots of people on the ground in the wee box!

If you want to see what I mean, here is the archived livestream on the Sky News YouTube channel:

After about 20 minutes, we got fed up with Sky News and switched to CNN. Just as they went to adverts! :rolleye: So, we went back to Sky News, even though their coverage was useless. After another 20 minutes (after they had finished showing the eclipse in Russellville, Texas), I thought "hey, I wonder if you can get NASA TV over here". So, I went onto the computer, and found out that it is broadcast on NASA's YouTube channel. So I put it on. And they were just starting to show the eclipse in Kerrville, Texas.

The NASA TV coverage was brilliant!!! Whenever they were showing shots on the ground, they would put it in a small box in the corner and have the close-up of the eclipse in a big box. But, most of the time they had the close-up shot full screen.

I only had two complaints about their coverage. Although they had a progress map that they showed us on the few occasions when they went to the studio in Cape Canaveral (which I found funny, given that the eclipse wasn't anywhere near Florida!), it would have been nice to have seen it more often. Perhaps in a small permanent box in the corner of the screen. And that they did not continue the coverage when the eclipse moved into Canada.

That said, having the coverage end at 21:00 BST meant that my Dad was able to watch this week's episode of NCIS at the usual time, rather than watching it some other time, no doubt when I am looking to watch something!

If anybody wants to watch the NASA TV coverage, here is the link to the archived livestream on NASA's YouTube channel:

And you know what. After seeing how good the coverage was after I joined, I think I'll go back and watch up to that point! ;) :biggrin:

I had a look on Time And Date, and we don't have to wait long for my hometown to experience another partial solar eclipse - Saturday 29th March 2025. It'll be at a good time (10:02 GMT to 12:02 GMT) and it'll be bigger than yesterday's, reaching a maximum of 53.4%. :biggrin: And we'll have a total lunar eclipse 15 days earlier, although it is not at such a good time (03:57 GMT to 06:51 GMT) 😞

The next time that we'll have a total solar eclipse in my hometown is Monday 14th June 2151. Although it's at a good time of day (18:24 BST to 20:17 BST), somehow I don't think I'll see it...

CaroLiza_fan
My daughter reported much the same thing from Scotland. She asked what I'd seen live on the Pacific coast, and I said rain, just like she had on the shore of Loch Ness.

2051? If I'm still around then, and they interview the residents of the nursing home I'll be in and ask what I remember of the 2024 eclipse, I'll grump, "Didn't see it. It rained." A friend from high school asked me on FB if I remembered the last one in 1979, but I didn't. Another chance missed :cool:.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My daughter reported much the same thing from Scotland. She asked what I'd seen live on the Pacific coast, and I said rain, just like she had on the shore of Loch Ness.

That was unfortunate. But, I suppose we can console ourselves that it was only a partial eclipse for us, and that there'll be more of them in our lifetimes. It would have been heartbreaking if it had been a total eclipse where we were, and we had missed it because of bad weather.

For goodness sake, I like going out and watching the space station going across the sky. And I always get annoyed on nights when the NASA website says it is going to be there for a long time, but it turns out that clouds are blocking the view. But, the space station can be seen on most days. Eclipses can't.

2051? If I'm still around then, and they interview the residents of the nursing home I'll be in and ask what I remember of the 2024 eclipse, I'll grump, "Didn't see it. It rained." A friend from high school asked me on FB if I remembered the last one in 1979, but I didn't. Another chance missed :cool:.

If only it was 2051, then I might see it. But not 100 years later! I can't see medicine advancing that quickly.

It is amazing, though, how science is so advanced that they can predict when eclipses will happen so far into the future. And be so detailed.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan
The Maine pictures I posted above were from the NASA feed and it was awesome especially considering Kerrville TX had complete cloud cover!
My nephew is in London Ontario Canada and took these

DSC04086 copy.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC04085 copy.jpeg
    DSC04085 copy.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 10

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Maine pictures I posted above were from the NASA feed and it was awesome especially considering Kerrville TX had complete cloud cover!
My nephew is in London Ontario Canada and took these

View attachment 7832

Awwww. Those photos are beautiful! :love: :love: :love:

Although I've never taken photos of an eclipse, I've tried in the past to take photos of the moon using a (digital) SLR camera, and they never came out well. So, hats off to him! :bow: :clap: :points:

CaroLiza_fan

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
I was watching on TV the eclipse and was great ,I heard that in some states couldn't be viewable fully.

Although I've never taken photos of an eclipse, I've tried in the past to take photos of the moon using a (digital) SLR camera, and they never came out well. So, hats off to him! :bow: :clap: :points:

CaroLiza_fan
According my experience as Pro photographer for eclipse photos with a DSLR or any camera (even cellphone camera) you need a ND-IR filter polarized or ND 15 or 20 steps filter because needs eliminate all the environment lights for a clear photo and use manual mode (a shutter 30 or 40 and a f8 aperture) for avoid damage the image sensor of the camera because gamma or beta rays available during eclipse phase

Well there there will be an eclipse in October.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan
They took a short drive to get full totality.. not far. He is an excellent photographer so would understand the dynamics for his photos.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
For goodness sake, I like going out and watching the space station going across the sky. And I always get annoyed on nights when the NASA website says it is going to be there for a long time, but it turns out that clouds are blocking the view. But, the space station can be seen on most days. Eclipses can't.
It can? Nobody ever told me that! Mind you, anyone who knows me knows I can't even pick out the Big Dipper on a starry night. :shrug:
If only it was 2051, then I might see it. But not 100 years later! I can't see medicine advancing that quickly.

It is amazing, though, how science is so advanced that they can predict when eclipses will happen so far into the future. And be so detailed.
That's what I get for reading quickly after midnight. My friend on FB had talked about one in 1979 and I misread your date as 2051, thinking they occur closer together. 2151? I'll definitely not be here watching that one! :popcorn:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It can? Nobody ever told me that!

Awww, you don't know what you're missing! Here's the address:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Please be aware that not every settlement has a sightings page. With that in mind, I would not advise a first timer to use the search facility, as chances are the specific place you are in isn't on it (my home town isn't). If you're new, it's better to zoom in on the map to see what places they do have a sightings page for in your general area. Then click on the pin point that is nearest you, and then click the link to get to it's sightings page.

Unfortunately, the space station isn't not coming over Northern Ireland in the next 2 weeks. And from what I see, it isn't for the west coast of Canada either.

Mind you, anyone who knows me knows I can't even pick out the Big Dipper on a starry night. :shrug:

I can't either. The only thing I can easily identify is Orion. I keep hearing people talking about seeing Venus or Jupiter, but I haven't a clue about them.

But the space station is a very bright dot that moves in a straight line across the sky. And you can tell the difference between it and an aeroplane, because the aeroplane has flashing lights. The space station doesn't.

That's what I get for reading quickly after midnight. My friend on FB had talked about one in 1979 and I misread your date as 2051, thinking they occur closer together. 2151? I'll definitely not be here watching that one! :popcorn:

:laugh:

Don't worry, I've made many a worse mistake than that when reading and posting when I am tired. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was watching on TV the eclipse and was great ,I heard that in some states couldn't be viewable fully.

According my experience as Pro photographer for eclipse photos with a DSLR or any camera (even cellphone camera) you need a ND-IR filter polarized or ND 15 or 20 steps filter because needs eliminate all the environment lights for a clear photo and use manual mode (a shutter 30 or 40 and a f8 aperture) for avoid damage the image sensor of the camera because gamma or beta rays available during eclipse phase

Well there there will be an eclipse in October.

Thank you for the advice. I'll go investigating next time I have the camera out.

I just had a thought there. I have been meaning for a while to write to a friend who lives in America. And I was thinking I could do it now, and ask if she and her family were out watching it (they live just outside the path of totality). But it was only after reading your message that I remembered that her mother is a professional photographer. I don't know where the mother lives, but if she was out with the camera, I hope she uploads some photos.

They took a short drive to get full totality.. not far. He is an excellent photographer so would understand the dynamics for his photos.

I absolutely love taking photos of things I see when I am out and about (animals, scenery, historic sites, motorbike racing), but unfortunately I am more "all the gear, no idea!" :p :slink:

CaroLiza_fan